Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 1:07pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lobohall View Post
    BJJ is rooted in the Samurai Arts in general, not my particular school. As you know there are thousands of ryu ha in Japan, we are just one of them. Sorry for the confusion.
    I don’t think anyone here was confused. I think we were merely amused when you claimed that BJJ was derived from “ninpo”, whether by intention or poor communication. We all know BJJ’s heritage via Helio’s moral victory, Mitsuo Maeda, Kano, &c. (What generally seems less well informed by evidence is any historical tradition of “ninpo” as opposed to merely jujutsu ryuha subsequently gathered under “ninpo”-labelled banners; but here I will pretend to no expertise.)

“Samurai Arts” sounds rather pretentious, by the way, and claiming that any unarmed martial art is “rooted in the Samurai Arts in general” is probably misleading. The samurai were a warrior class doing warlike things, and the more important of their arts should probably be considered ancestral to sojutsu and kyujutsu rather than jujutsu. Unless you’re learning to ride a horse while shooting arrows at and/or stabbing other riders, and lots and lots of peasants, with a spear, you’re probably not really learning “the Samurai Arts in general” or anything like them.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Petter: the distinction between Samurai warfare and koryu arts is quite substantial. Most Samurai, especially those in the warring states period of Japan, were probably not members of any koryuha IIRC. I don't think it is disingenuous of lobohall to say "Samurai arts" because koryuha have more in common with fine arts than the footsoldier's battlefield experience.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 12:43am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lobohall View Post
    To jnp,
    BJJ is rooted in the Samurai Arts in general, not my particular school. As you know there are thousands of ryu ha in Japan, we are just one of them. Sorry for the confusion.
    You really need to shut the **** up.

IiF has already culled this thread once and I've just shitcanned a number of your other posts in this thread because you're a dipshit.

Take what I say to you next very carefully...

I don't tollerate **** like this in this particular forum, continue to pollute this or other threads with your tripe and expect a temp ban.

That also extends to the other fucking dipshit edward ross.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234