Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 5:42am

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Could somebody review a weight training schedule?

Mon
    bench press
    incline bench press
    decline bench press
    weighted bar dips

wed
    deadlift
    squats
    clean and jerk
    calf raises

fri
    pull ups
    cable rows
    bent over barbell rows
    21's
    lateral and front should raises

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 1:56pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your goal?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At this point just muscle gain and power, it's designed for rugby more than for mma, but I figured you gurus would know.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    two questions:

Did you come up with this yourself?
    Are you any good at the clean and jerk?

The clean and jerk is a tough old lift to get right, and if you're already knackered from doing squats and deadlifts there's a good chance you're going to **** it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty new to cleaning, but I like the lift. I may have somebody from the team come out and spot me so I can work on my form.
    I had some help from a power lifter that works in our ER, my original group of exercises looked like this.

monday
    bench press
    cable flies
    incline cable flies
    skullcrushers

wednesday
    squats
    one legged deadlift
    weighted lunges
    calf raises

friday
    pull downs
    seated cable rows
    one armed dumbell rows
    21's
    front and lateral shoulder raises

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_free View Post
    I am pretty new to cleaning, but I like the lift. I may have somebody from the team come out and spot me so I can work on my form.
    It's not just a matter of form. If you're going to be doing deadlifts, you're going to be lifting a big weight and it's going to wipe you out, doubly so if you've been doing squats as well. The clean and jerk is a complex lift and you need to be sharp to do it, so you wouldn't usually go doing them after deads. If you had a lot of experience with olly lifts, then I'd say fair enough, you must know what you're doing. Seeing as you don't have the experience, then I'm going to say that you should probably reconsider it.
    (I'm no expert on these things by the way, but this is just something that jumps out at me as being an unnecessary pain in the ass.)

I had some help from a power lifter that works in our ER, my original group of exercises looked like this.
    So it's pretty much one you came up with yourself. Why aren't you using one of the tried and tested ones like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5*5, or Westside? That would take a lot of guess work out of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man, I appreciate you passing on the wisdom. I really like the stronglifts 5*5 and I think Ill convert this week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2011 2:17am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Would say you got to much going on on wednesday, clean and jerk, squats and deadlift. I personally love the clean and jerk its my favourite exercise, and i give it all i got, so afterwards there is no way i could go on to squats, hey maybe you have the leg cardio of a horse. after clean and press i use the squat machine ( I like the one where your back is basically on the floor and your feet are in the air against the plate) instead of conventional squats cause im usually failing by the second set, much safer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 8:24pm

Style: Modern Arnis|MT|Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks like a lot of chest and nothing else on Monday; I would try and add another muscle group personally.

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 12:11am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_free View Post

monday
    bench press
    cable flies
    incline cable flies
    skullcrushers

wednesday
    squats
    one legged deadlift
    weighted lunges
    calf raises

friday
    pull downs
    seated cable rows
    one armed dumbell rows
    21's
    front and lateral shoulder raises
    The guy that gave you this advice is most likely a bodybuilding enthusist not a powerlifter, contrary to what he may believe. cable flies? Calf raises? SHoulder raises? Sounds like something out of Men's Fitness or one of those mags. How did you convert from this workout to incline,decline and reg bench and all the other mods to your workout? I don't know as much about hypertrophy BB style workouts but I know what Pavel says about strength and performance training. From what I've read about strength training unless you are quite advanced you should be working you whole body every workout 3x a week and avoid muscle fatigue at all costs. Your "experienced" friend from the ER should have an idea of the level your at. Chances are by dividing up your workout the way you have you aren't building he strength you could be. Stronglifts is great, check out Pave Tsatsouline for books and info strength training he is known for kettlebells but has a lot of good info on weight strength trainingand even bodweight strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by dartleader View Post
    That looks like a lot of chest and nothing else on Monday; I would try and add another muscle group personally.
    Yes add another muscle group, like all of them. Where's Emevas? HE should chime in! Before Pavel and stronglifts I never realized how brainwashed I was from the popularity of bodybuilding. 3 sets x 10-15 reps is not how you gain strength. Working until you "feel the burn" is counter productive to gaining strength.