Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I get a PAGST helmet for home defense?

Today I visited a local surplus store and found that it was the only surplus store I've seen that sells new PAGST helmets for around $250 bucks a pop.

I wondered if I should consider getting one for home defense purposes. Given enough time to prepare, I could put on my level IIIa vest, put on the PAGST helmet, and then ready my firearm.

I would then be somewhat protected against BOOM headshot, compared to if I did not have any protective headgear.

Does that seem like a reasonable line of thought, or am I just being dumb?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 6:38pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being dumb, IMO. The PAGST helmet isn't designed to stop bullets and tests have shown this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

Sure, it'll stop a pistol round, but this is home invasion, not a first person shooter. They're looking to steal your stuff, not shoot you. If shooting starts, they're going to be looking to bug out, not stick around and get everything they can before they leave.

That being said... do you want a helmet for home defense or do you just want a helmet and you're trying to validate the purchase by calling it home defense?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 6:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Being dumb, IMO. The PAGST helmet isn't designed to stop bullets and tests have shown this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

Sure, it'll stop a pistol round, but this is home invasion, not a first person shooter. They're looking to steal your stuff, not shoot you. If shooting starts, they're going to be looking to bug out, not stick around and get everything they can before they leave.

That being said... do you want a helmet for home defense or do you just want a helmet and you're trying to validate the purchase by calling it home defense?
    Well I saw that the store had helmets, which is uncommon, so I thought about it a little bit is all. I wondered if it might possibly be good for home defense.

And, yeah, I realize that the only thing the helmet would save me from that would otherwise kill me would be a pistol round to the forehead.

As far as home invasions go, many years ago someone said to me something to the effect of if it's a home invasion and not a burglary, the perp is looking for someone to victimize, besides for just minor material gain from making off with resellable goods.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 7:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why dont you just buy a gun shield? You preparing for something big that we are going to read about in the news?

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 7:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Us Cavalry has them on sale cheap, if it helps. But I could only think of having one for extreme SHTF situations, not home defense.

Or you could just sign up for the National Guard and they'll give you one for 'free'.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 9:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Why dont you just buy a gun shield? You preparing for something big that we are going to read about in the news?
    It's generally been non-trivial for me to get ballistic armor. The vest I got at a gun show a couple of years ago. Local stores don't generally seem to sell level 3 or better. I could easily order, say, a 75 round drum for my AK from J&G sales, but stuff like armor, helmets, shields, etc. seem to be a bit harder to come by.

To answer your question, I've been thinking a little more about home defense ever since I attended a local simunitions training session. There were some (in my mind) questionable no-win scenarios they made us participate in, and one of them got me thinking. What if three guys with firearms break into a small house or apartment, and aggressively clear the rooms in a semi competent manner? You'd need a lot of firepower and/or armor in order to defeat them all. If it's just me in my PJs with a .45 and a couple mags, maybe that isn't going to cut it.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 9:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Us Cavalry has them on sale cheap, if it helps. But I could only think of having one for extreme SHTF situations, not home defense.

Or you could just sign up for the National Guard and they'll give you one for 'free'.
    I will Google US Cavalry. Thank you, Phrost.

Will the Guard let you keep the helmet? :qright2:

EDIT: Hey, how do I know what size I am? Or, wait, are all the available sizes "small" only?

I know I don't have a "small" head...

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...548&catid=2759

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 9:58pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    To answer your question, I've been thinking a little more about home defense ever since I attended a local simunitions training session. There were some (in my mind) questionable no-win scenarios they made us participate in, and one of them got me thinking. What if three guys with firearms break into a small house or apartment, and aggressively clear the rooms in a semi competent manner? You'd need a lot of firepower and/or armor in order to defeat them all. If it's just me in my PJs with a .45 and a couple mags, maybe that isn't going to cut it.
    Then I'd say either someone did a piss poor job of casing your house and thinks you have millions of dollars in a mattress or you've been making meth in the basement. Those kinds of tactics aren't generally used by robbers and thieves. Professional kidnappers, sure, but they're more likely to take you out of a vehicle. Either way, you're fuckered. They're going to catch you trying to strap on your kit over your Batman PJs or they're going to be on top of you before you get out of bed. After all, at that degree of professionalism, a competent lockpicker or someone proficient with a pick gun would not be out of the question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 1:27am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can just see the faces of the officers who arrive at your location and see you standing there with your bath robe and helmet on......look like something out of the M.A.S.H. show. "It is okay officers it was a false alarm...I thought I heard someone trying to break in my place but I was ready for them.....see I have my helmet on."

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 12:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    I can just see the faces of the officers who arrive at your location and see you standing there with your bath robe and helmet on......look like something out of the M.A.S.H. show. "It is okay officers it was a false alarm...I thought I heard someone trying to break in my place but I was ready for them.....see I have my helmet on."
    Ha ha, don't forget the level 3a vest. So you have to imagine the open bathrobe smushed together against my body under the vest as well.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast