Posted On:
    2/11/2011 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alcohol + healing process ..?

Hi,
    I heard that alcohol was slowing down the healing process of an injury. I was told it was damaging for the tendons and all. So is it true? Does anyone knows anything about this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 4:26pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard that since the liver has to work to process the alcohol, that it can slow down the healing process because it's the liver that also processes (help the body rid) fatigue poisons and lactic acids from muscle and ligament injuries?

I'm sure there are many more qualified people on here that can clerify it better though. All in all a drink or two once a week probably isn't to bad as long as isn't to excess or everyday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 5:48am

Style: Judo, BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alcohol does indeed increase the time of healing with injuries, this is due to the effect of alcohol that has on the immune system. During consumption of alcohol, the immune system releases a Antibody called IgE, which is related to allergies and causes inflammation. Initially, inflammation is a good thing, it destroys foreign invaders and necrotic cells. However it's also destroys the healthy cells around the tendon (like Rheumatoid arthritis) and of course causing more pain.

Although I am not really sure how much alcohol you drink for this LgE response to kick in. Just drink moderately (like 1/2 to 1 glass of beer per couple of days) or none at all to be really safe, what really stuff you around is chronic or binge drinking. Drinking makes you fat as well, which can be bad for combat sports.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 5:59am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan03 View Post
    Hi,
    I heard that alcohol was slowing down the healing process of an injury. I was told it was damaging for the tendons and all. So is it true? Does anyone knows anything about this?
    Yes and no, If you drink a case of beer everyday or a bottle of whisky a night then yes it will hamper healing process, if you are going to go out on the weekend and have some drinks with friends, or a beer or glass of wine with dinner, that will be fine.

NB. I'm not a doctor this is just advice that has been given to me in the past.