Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 7:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Luton is pretty ****, but its nowhere near as bad as the townships I've seen out in Africa.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 12:32am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShredder View Post
    Yes. Filler, why five characters? That seems an arbitrary number. Perhaps my answer should have been rephrased:

"Why yes indeed I do in fact attend jujitsu classes at a set of coordinates within the geographical perimeter of the township of Luton."

Why do you ask? Are you a stalker? I'm really quite boring.
    I was asking because I live in Luton and have sampled a lot of what Luton has to offer, the good, bad and the ugly. It would have been nice to open a dialougue with another local member. Not everyone on this site is out to get you, so there is no need for a smart ass reply.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 1:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superangryfish View Post
    I was asking because I live in Luton and have sampled a lot of what Luton has to offer, the good, bad and the ugly. It would have been nice to open a dialougue with another local member. Not everyone on this site is out to get you, so there is no need for a smart ass reply.
    Ah, cool. Sorry if I offended you. My humour was indeed tainted with a tinge of apprehension. A forum like this can do that to a person.

Yes luton does have a pretty wide selection of styles and clubs. Which have you tried? I used to study Wing Chun under Sifu Brian Desir a few years back, when there were two classes a week and you could pay as you go. Since doing that on and off (loved it btw), I've considered Taekwondo, Tang soo do (used to be a place here), and more recently kyokushin (in mk), kickboxing, tai chi chi gong (not just/really for fighting purposes), muay thai, and "shaolin" (I met the guy teaching it recently, and he's an ex UK/European champ in Shiao jiao chinese wrestling). Oh, and capoeira for fun.

While researching clubs in the area (they seem to change every now and again) I came across some truly laughable places, mostly the Taekwondo clubs. I have little faith in the integrity of an instructor who either a) is willing to effectively sell me a black belt in X amount of time for what he describes as "very reasonable rates when you think about it in the long term", or b) has a website full of pictures of 9 year old "black belts".

The jujitsu place I'm at now (luton jujitsu under Sensei Steve Rolls I think) is ok I think. Insurance and classes are reasonable so I'm going to join anyway, but now I've finished uni I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to train in something satisfying.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 1:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I also considered Judo, and a friend of mine is trying to get me into cage fighting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 1:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I know Luton is pretty ****, but its nowhere near as bad as the townships I've seen out in Africa.
    Theres always somewhere worse. Unless you're really unlucky, lol. Still, the diverse arrary of MA clubs is nice at least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 9:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, cool. Sorry if I offended you. My humour was indeed tainted with a tinge of apprehension. A forum like this can do that to a person.

Yes luton does have a pretty wide selection of styles and clubs. Which have you tried? I used to study Wing Chun under Sifu Brian Desir a few years back, when there were two classes a week and you could pay as you go. Since doing that on and off (loved it btw), I've considered Taekwondo, Tang soo do (used to be a place here), and more recently kyokushin (in mk), kickboxing, tai chi chi gong (not just/really for fighting purposes), muay thai, and "shaolin" (I met the guy teaching it recently, and he's an ex UK/European champ in Shiao jiao chinese wrestling). Oh, and capoeira for fun.

While researching clubs in the area (they seem to change every now and again) I came across some truly laughable places, mostly the Taekwondo clubs. I have little faith in the integrity of an instructor who either a) is willing to effectively sell me a black belt in X amount of time for what he describes as "very reasonable rates when you think about it in the long term", or b) has a website full of pictures of 9 year old "black belts".

The jujitsu place I'm at now (luton jujitsu under Sensei Steve Rolls I think) is ok I think. Insurance and classes are reasonable so I'm going to join anyway, but now I've finished uni I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to train in something satisfying.
    Yes the TKD is a joke. I have also tried OCFM (search on here for it) Keysi Fighting method (again search on here for it), and some Krap Maga in Tring (once more search on here, guy had his own investigation about bought certs)

I was going to take my daughter (6yo) to the Koushou Institute, but saw far too many overweight middleaged men carrying nasty looking weapons from the car park, so took a judgment call that it could be a larp fest and did a runner

Tried Kickboxing at fitness first was OK but more geared towards cardio, The sports jiu jitsu was all good.

and now i've settled on BJJ.

I would love to do Judo, but can't find anything local. I have contacted a load of people but no luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 1:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superangryfish View Post
    Yes the TKD is a joke. I have also tried OCFM (search on here for it) Keysi Fighting method (again search on here for it), and some Krap Maga in Tring (once more search on here, guy had his own investigation about bought certs)

I was going to take my daughter (6yo) to the Koushou Institute, but saw far too many overweight middleaged men carrying nasty looking weapons from the car park, so took a judgment call that it could be a larp fest and did a runner

Tried Kickboxing at fitness first was OK but more geared towards cardio, The sports jiu jitsu was all good.

and now i've settled on BJJ.

I would love to do Judo, but can't find anything local. I have contacted a load of people but no luck.
    Ah I see. Well yes wushu is larping, they have larping tournaments etc, and its all very pretty. For kickboxing you could check out Storm Gym. Apparantly its run by this high ranked muay thai fighter or something. I'm likely to start muay thai there to sort my striking out.

As for Judo, there was an ad in the local paper a few weeks back:

"FREE FIRST SESSION OF
    JUDO
    when you bring this advert with you

Putteridge Recreation Centre. Putteridge Road, Luton, LU2 8HJ

Wednesdays
    Ages 5 - 15 19:00-20:30
    Ages 16+ 20:30 - 22:00

Contact Chris Hobbs for more information
    01582 425 437

A Member of the British Judo Council and affililated to the British Judo Association"

Could be worth a look. At the moment I'm 3 lessons into my jujitsu, and have memorised all the techniques for my first belt grading (red belt). Its basic front and rear lapel grab defences, hip throws, arm locks, shoulder locks etc, and some anatomy stuff. A lot of fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah I see. Well yes wushu is larping, they have larping tournaments etc, and its all very pretty. For kickboxing you could check out Storm Gym. Apparantly its run by this high ranked muay thai fighter or something. I'm likely to start muay thai there to sort my striking out.

As for Judo, there was an ad in the local paper a few weeks back:

"FREE FIRST SESSION OF
    JUDO
    when you bring this advert with you

Putteridge Recreation Centre. Putteridge Road, Luton, LU2 8HJ

Wednesdays
    Ages 5 - 15 19:00-20:30
    Ages 16+ 20:30 - 22:00

Contact Chris Hobbs for more information
    01582 425 437

A Member of the British Judo Council and affililated to the British Judo Association"

Could be worth a look. At the moment I'm 3 lessons into my jujitsu, and have memorised all the techniques for my first belt grading (red belt). Its basic front and rear lapel grab defences, hip throws, arm locks, shoulder locks etc, and some anatomy stuff. A lot of fun.
    I believe Storm Gym are moving to their own premesis in town in the next few months. I will be checking it out as soon as it opens.

I sent the Judo place in Stopsley an Email and txt a mobile I saw on a site but recieved no reply.

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris Hobbs is a 5th dan and has a none to shabby resume. Trained under Matsataro Otani, one of the big Japanese names in early British Judo and father of the current BJC head honcho Robin Otani. Then trained with Simon 'rhetorical' Mazullo and Alan Fromm both, I think, BJC sixth dan and both well respected. Though I've only ever seen Mazullo do Judo and not Fromm. Mazullo's Judo didn't make me go 'wow', but he's not young and there wasn't anything I saw him do badly. You have to be careful with BJC 4-6th dans as they can be over promoted and severly underskilled. Hobbs was suffering with throat cancer in 09 so may not be quite the man he used to be.

Its BJC so they tend to be a bit more traditional and Japanese-y. Still I think you should at least pop along and see what its like it is free after all.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 10:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

Its three months in to my jujitsu journey and I've just earned my red belt (first belt, 7th kyu), which was a lot of fun and very enjoyable. I'm training about 3 times a week, and gradually sucking less. Theres regular grappling but only occasional sparring.

In the aim of sorting out my striking, I'm heading down to a Wado Ryu club today (higashi karate). Its a "modified" form of Wado Ryu, and looking at their syllabus it seems to be pretty much just strikes. Strikes and possibly more kata than I'd want to do. That and defenses against various attacks etc. If they have decent sparring though its all good.

I'll do a quick write up when I get back.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast