Administrator

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 12:43am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Bear View Post
    So there is video of Seagal teaching the front kick before the fight. Anderson performs the kick and knocks out Belfort. Silva credits Seagal and a lot of people are mad. Why?
    So, there is a video of Silva doing the same kick with the same mechanics before Seagal taught it to him. There is a video of him training Capoiera, using the same kick, before he ever began training with Seagal. Few people care who he credits it is the whole "I invented the kick" and bullshido based "I kept it a secret" that Seagal stated in his video that has people up in arms. Also the so called "sport aficionados, that claim he "Never used that kick before" or "this kick has never been used to KO somebody" is just funny.

That is exactly how bullshido teachers and claims get started. If he wants to credit Seagal more power to him.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually wasn't surprised to hear Silva "trained" with Seagal. In the ultra competitive world of professional MMA where almost everyone who fights now at the championship level is an uber athlete, everyone is trying all sorts of crazy **** to give them the 0.0000001% performance edge over the other guy. Lyoto drinks pee. Randy only eats raw foods. Sherk takes dozens of different supplements daily. GSP has a witch doctor on his team. Is it so surprising that Silva would have a movie star/martial artist in his camp?

The thing is Anderson Silva is such a great athlete, he can get away with doing things that get other lesser but still great athlete's destroyed. Just because Anderson Silva, Randy Couture, or "insert your favorite fighter here" does something, eats something, or trains with someone doesn't mean it actually made any bit of difference outside maybe some sort of placebo effect.

I was surprised to when he said Seagal showed him the kick, since Segal does Aikido and I've never seen him kick anytime in his movies. It would have been much more believable if he said Segal advised him on "zen" or "the warrior's mindset" or some bullshit like that.

I do not find it surprising that Silva or his management decided to team with a "well known American" martial arts star to help up his image. I wouldn't be surprised if UFC was aware of this, or even suggested or endorsed it. Let's face, although he is arguably the world's best fighter, Silva has an image problem.

The "hardcore fans" know how good he his, and know that his boring fights were largely the result having to face inferior opponents that, although the were the best available, really had no business being in the same ring as him. Silva is a devastating counter fighter, and so far the only thing that seems to work against him (other than Chael's wrestling) is to just stand there and doing nothing so he has nothing to counter. As such opponents have figured out that the best way to not get ko'd by Silva is to do nothing. They know how "not to lose" but no one seems to know how to beat him. This makes for boring fights, and hurts Silva's main stream appeal.

UFC knows we are going to buy the PPVs no mater what, and even if we don't there isn't enough of us for them to really care. What they do care about is to get same type of people that watch and believe "Steven Segal: Lawman" to buy the PPVs. There are a lot more of them than there are of us.
    Last edited by Punisher; 2/11/2011 1:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 1:17am

Style: Sanda ,Sub Grap,Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    So, there is a video of Silva doing the same kick with the same mechanics before Seagal taught it to him. There is a video of him training Capoiera, using the same kick, before he ever began training with Seagal. Few people care who he credits it is the whole "I invented the kick" and bullshido based "I kept it a secret" that Seagal stated in his video that has people up in arms. Also the so called "sport aficionados, that claim he "Never used that kick before" or "this kick has never been used to KO somebody" is just funny.

That is exactly how bullshido teachers and claims get started. If he wants to credit Seagal more power to him.
    I understand that Silva has trained that kick before as it is the first kick you learn when you train in any striking martial art (or the roundhouse). But it seems that there is an ardent fear that is being blown from trumpet to trumpet about the possibility of Seagal being somewhat knowledgeable in a martial art technique. No one more than Bas Rutten. Unless I see Seagal open a "hyrbid", "mixed", "fusion", "real", martial arts academy, then I will not be too worried.

I see your viewpoint of the possibility of a Bullshido meme going through the internet about the vast "secrets" of Seagal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 2:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Few people care who he credits it is the whole "I invented the kick" and bullshido based "I kept it a secret" that Seagal stated in his video that has people up in arms.
    I'm going to disagree with this mainly because I don't like your word choice here. He didn't say he invented the kick nor did he call it an Aikido kick as some suggest. I've seen a few different interviews from Seagal and Silva, and what I've gathered is that he claims to have perfected or altered the kick slightly. He also calls it a Karate kick.

This is not the same as inventing, and while it might be considered nitpicking, I think it is an important distinction. With that being said, I've seen him using the kick in fights and in training videos before he started working with Seagal. I don't see a difference between the two kicks other than that this one landed better than the other attempts. Maybe, Silva honestly believes that what Seagal showed him is the reason it landed solidly this time. Is it the actual reason? I don't know. Maybe, it wasn't the kick itself, but the angle the kick was thrown from that caused a solid hit and that is what Seagal worked with him on. I know Aikido deals a lot with positioning so maybe it was a combination of Seagal's Aikido and Karate background combined with Silva's superior skill that allowed for this kick to work. I mean for all we know they are using Seagal's experience in the film industry to help them review fight footage looking for holes in the defense of opponents.

I don't really think this is likely, but it could be. We won't know for sure since we weren't there when Seagal was working with Silva. I will say it is unusual for Silva to give Seagal credit for this win when he hasn't given him credit for helping him win other fights in the past. It isn't like this is the first time Seagal has been at one of Silva's fights. I might be giving big Steve too much credit, but I'm trying like crazy to avoid my knee jerk reaction of assuming it is complete bull just because Seagal is involved.

To reiterate the question posed about this article when it was brought up in another thread, does anyone know if this is a reputable article or not? I've seen multiple instances of articles and video footage supporting Silva's initial statement about Seagal helping with this this kick. It seems weird that this not very well known source is the only one reporting the opposite of every other publication. I want to believe this article because it aligns with my initial reaction to the odd Silva and Seagal pairing, but it does seem slightly suspicious.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 11:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Himura View Post
    I'm going to disagree with this mainly because I don't like your word choice here. He didn't say he invented the kick nor did he call it an Aikido kick as some suggest. I've seen a few different interviews from Seagal and Silva, and what I've gathered is that he claims to have perfected or altered the kick slightly. He also calls it a Karate kick.
    Did I say anything about Aikido? No. Okay red herring. That negates half of your "I don't like your word choice" comment .
    You are right he used the word created. He actually says "Something I created." Yes, invented and created are synonyms. He learned it in Japan perfected and created the kick. Oh and in the video I saw he specifically says "it is not exactly karate but something I created." Then he goes on to say "No one knows the kick" blah blah blah.
    Yes, his words.

If no one knows it and you only taught it to Machida and Silva you invented/created the kick. You are correct, distinction is important. He distinctly said created and perfected. He distinctly said no one else knows the kick.

So, I am fine. No, you don't have to agree. Oh and I won't comment on the letter allegedly sent where Silva asked Seagal to "teach me your deadly stuff."

Yes, we make fun of the "deadly" on this website.

The tl;dr can be picked apart by someone else.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/11/2011 11:21am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 7:57pm

Style: Gracie Barra BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDescado View Post
    I knew it. I was figuring it was either a bizarre sense of humor thing particular to Brazilians, or Silva just didn't understand the situation because of the language barrier.
    Probably both. I'm brazilian, and people don't actually get the problem with Seagal 'cause they only know him from the movies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did I say anything about Aikido? No. Okay red herring. That negates half of your "I don't like your word choice" comment.
    Just so you know, I didn't mean to imply that you said that. It was a comment directed to other people on here who have said it was Aikido. Sorry about that if it came across this way.

He did say he created the kick, but I took it to mean he created this variation of the kick not that he invented the front kick. I think that makes more sense given his comments about karate, perfecting the kick, and making it his own. "No one knows the kick" could be seen as this referencing this variation of the kick and "not exactly karate" also implies that it is a variation of the karate front kick.

I doubt there is this mysterious variation of the kick. I tried to find a way it could be possible in my tl;dr. Personally, I think Seagal talks like a moron what with his deadly stuff and space time comments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 1:41am

Style: bjj (blue) Judo (green)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seagal's concept of space/time applies to the time it takes to get a cheeseburger from his mouth down to his fat ass where space/mass is created at an accelerated rate.

Posted On:
    2/14/2011 8:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is amazing how people just write Seagal off so quickly just because he is a bit weird at times and has sh*t movies lately. The guy is a 7 dan Aikido Black Belt and was the man back in the day. His early fight scenes are legendary.

I have seen him do that kick before in his movie. Watch him in the Glimmer Man at Lento's. He kicks that guy behind the bar and sends him flying!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STGPSvUr3dI

4.43 in to the midsection but a great kick!

He is still a legit martial arts master guys...
    Last edited by Big Tav; 2/14/2011 8:05pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/14/2011 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh **** off, hes a fat pushy douchebag with delusions of grandeur, and aikido is for wimpy girly men anyway. having a 7th degree in it is like being known as the tallest midget.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12