Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 3:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Judo throwing is superior IMO, to most (please read carefully people no whining) schools of CMA which focus mainly on striking with sweeps and a few throws. Takedowns are limited and very rare in CMA in relation to BJJ takedowns and submissions.
    long time lurker, first time poster.

my experience with cma throwing and submissions is similar to this.

i studied a mantis style for about five years which had a curriculum that included 40 throws. i now work out at a bjj gym run by people who were judo blackbelts in a previous life and now do bjj. we've been doing 30 minutes or so of judo takedown work at the beginning of each bjj class for the last 4 months or so. i tell you this to give you an idea of how little i know about judo.

coming from the mantis background it's been fairly easy for me to get the mechanics of the few judo throws i've been shown. they are really similar. the biggest difference i see is that the kf throws almost always involved some coiling/spinning and the analog judo throw usually was more linear. i mention this because in all likelihood the throws were added to the mantis system via judo but have evolved to have some sort of kung fu feel to them. the coiling was also the part i was terrible at so maybe that's why i'm enjoying the judo versions more.

the mantis system also had chin na. i've had very little luck applying this in bjj beyond a rnc, americana, and kimura. i can't remember the chinese names we were taught these as (i think rnc was "poisonous snake surrounds the neck") but we were taught them from a standing position. so it was useful to have a vague grasp of the mechanics of these submissions but i basically had to relearn them to make them useful.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of Judo throws work similarly actually, using a coiling/corkscrew/spiral action.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shuai Jiao

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In response to the OP. Based on your desire for a CMA which is potentially competitive but also practical, I highly recommend shuai jiao or sanda. Or at the very least find a kung fu school which actively practices throws and grappling as part of its curriculum. You can judge the legitimacy of the training for yourself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 11:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IlikeOwls View Post
    In response to the OP. Based on your desire for a CMA which is potentially competitive but also practical, I highly recommend shuai jiao or sanda. Or at the very least find a kung fu school which actively practices throws and grappling as part of its curriculum. You can judge the legitimacy of the training for yourself.
    Retarded response.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 11:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    A lot of Judo throws work similarly actually, using a coiling/corkscrew/spiral action.
    Yeah, I'm going with what Ming said about CMA and Judo.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yeah, I'm going with what Ming said about CMA and Judo.
    My take on Ming's post (subjective) is that judoka develop their fa jin like it's no one else's business. Whereas (sadly) many pure CMAers tend to not get a chance to develop/use that enough in alive mode....no delivery mechanism as Ming put it, unless they spar and train hard. Judo/BJJ have those delivery mechanisms because of how they are structured around competition.

Explosive power is what a lot of MAs preach but few seem to practice. Getting an opportunity to practice skills learned in CMA in a Judo/BJJ environment seems like perfect fit.

At least that's my take.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/13/2011 11:24pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 11:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird. My take was quit trying to make CMA equal something it is not. Train your new art thoroughly and then see how it fits with your respective CMA. It is usually the other way around. Train a CMA for 5-10 years and after an unequal amount of new time, claim the new art has many similarities.

Also, I am going to disagree with the power generation. You added that as he wasn't commenting on power generation. I think he was talking techniques and application.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/13/2011 11:26pm at .
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567