Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    as i have said before, i think anyone seriously interested in practical CMA should train judo first. after a few years of judo, you will be able to tell a good CMA school from a bad one, and will have a delivery system that will allow you to use your CMA better.

personally, i wish i had done judo before hung ga, but now that i am in judo i feel that i understand hung ga much more.
    100% agreement with Ming, in fact I did just what he says he would do, I did Judo then years later CMA (Hung Ga). I was able to avoid some bullshit MA schools because I knew I had to find something that gave me the same feeling as when I was at Judo, and the bullshit places never even came close. It just didn't feel right. Judo was so physical, and I wanted something physical, not a bunch of forms and pretend breakdance fighting.

I wanted to learn some of that famous Chinese boxing, goddamit!

Eventually I found a great sifu (quite by accident, his business card fell out of a book on qigong that I was browsing in a Borders Books, talk about a sign) who was tough but sensitive, physically powerful but not a show off, fast and agile but certainly not a spring chicken, and when he talks or shows fighting techniques he is 100% no bullshit. He's also a Marine...that helped his credibility.

Everything I learn in CMA now I reflexively compare to my time in Judo and I think it's a good way to test new martial techniques, at least for me.

I think my Judo will be much stronger once I pick it back up (soon! maybe by spring...), and I know my Hung Ga is stronger because I had a decent foundation in Judo.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/10/2011 10:00pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 11:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    as i have said before, i think anyone seriously interested in practical CMA should train judo first. after a few years of judo, you will be able to tell a good CMA school from a bad one, and will have a delivery system that will allow you to use your CMA better.

personally, i wish i had done judo before hung ga, but now that i am in judo i feel that i understand hung ga much more.
    Nu uh.....wait...I mean uh huh........

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 12:20am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really not one BJJ recommendation? I'm always glad to be the last one to catch up to yesterdays fad. Seems everyone here is doing judo now, "not that there's anything wrong with that".

Personally, if I had my free reign of schools i'd check out sambo. Sooner or later everyone here will be doing and suggesting sambo. Maybe I can get ahead of the curve on that one!

Sorry Op I know nothing of CMA. I once sparred a mahjong longhorne kung fu guy, considering my newbness at the time he did okay. I'd first see what schools are available then make a choice, doing things the other way around is a waste of time.

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 11:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: other

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to do some research to find what fits YOU. you might have to try a few schools out, different teachers to find what fits. Judo would be my choice as a grappling art instead of BJJ. check that out. will cost next to nothing and is very powerful.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2011 2:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your throwing art experience can help you to understand how to

- develop,
    - test,
    - enhance,
    - polish,

your certain skill. You then learn counters, and counters against counters. That's the right way to learn any style of CMA.

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bak mei, cqc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well if we are talking about traditional chinese martial arts forms that are practical. And we are talking about forms and not styles I would say Sup Ji-The foshan bak mei version of it is pretty much all street fighting techniques.

The Lin Po/lian bu form has a lot of chin na in it if you know what to look for.

Most people do tCMA forms without inflecting the actual purposes or applications of the movements and thus don't know how to apply the movements in a fight. if you understand the techniques the forms look absolutely different and don't look very traditional but more like street fighting. but thats just my opinion.

For Bagua the first palm change is excellent. the second palm change will throw somebody on their ass really fast with a shattered elbow. sadly I've never been able to figure out most of the other palm changes practical applications.

For Xingyi you could win a fight almost using the splitting fist/dragon movement alone. thats a bread and butter move.

Also the N. Shaolin form Pao Chui (not plain pao chuan) has a lot of good practicality in it. lots of pulling a guys arm down and punching them in the face stuff.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Really not one BJJ recommendation? .
    No, because the topic is CMA? CMA has no BJJ type ground work at all nor does BJJ involve serious striking.

Judo throwing is superior IMO, to most (please read carefully people no whining) schools of CMA which focus mainly on striking with sweeps and a few throws. Takedowns are limited and very rare in CMA in relation to BJJ takedowns and submissions.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/12/2011 4:49pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakmeidude View Post
    well if we are talking about traditional chinese martial arts forms that are practical. And we are talking about forms and not styles I would say Sup Ji-The foshan bak mei version of it is pretty much all street fighting techniques.

The Lin Po/lian bu form has a lot of chin na in it if you know what to look for.

Most people do tCMA forms without inflecting the actual purposes or applications of the movements and thus don't know how to apply the movements in a fight. if you understand the techniques the forms look absolutely different and don't look very traditional but more like street fighting. but thats just my opinion.

For Bagua the first palm change is excellent. the second palm change will throw somebody on their ass really fast with a shattered elbow. sadly I've never been able to figure out most of the other palm changes practical applications.

For Xingyi you could win a fight almost using the splitting fist/dragon movement alone. thats a bread and butter move.

Also the N. Shaolin form Pao Chui (not plain pao chuan) has a lot of good practicality in it. lots of pulling a guys arm down and punching them in

the face stuff.
    Read the Original post not just the title. No, no one is talking about forms or Kata. So, that lets me know you didn't read the thread or the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I'm looking around to see what MA I'd like to get involved with, and I don't know enough about CMA (because there's just so much info, good and bad!) to know where to look in this quadrant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:53pm

Style: Chow Gar SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
    I'm looking around to see what MA I'd like to get involved with, and I don't know enough about CMA (because there's just so much info, good and bad!) to know where to look in this quadrant.

So, I figured I ask straight out. I like practical things. I'd like to learn something that I could use to defend myself in a dark alley- not because I spend much time in dark alleys, just because I like practical. I'd also like to learn something that I could, if I wanted, compete with. Currently, from other sectors MT and Judo are looking like good choices, just to give you an idea of what I'm most interested in so far. I know CMA is not inherently the most practical of MA's, but I figured I'd see what each region had to offer.

So, what defensive CMA would you choose to protect yourself in a dark alley? How about an offensive CMA?

P.S. If you've got anything that's halfway practical, and uses unusual techniques (like the pressure points of mantis), throw that in too! I am not limiting myself to just one, and as they say variety is the spice of life.

Well, I'd go for one of the "Hakka Fist" arts. Bak Mei, SPM or Lung Ying.
    No nonsense and practical CMA systems.
    If I knew your location I might be able to help with school recommendations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:57pm

Style: Chow Gar SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post

There is nothing in CMA that specifically covers what happens when you are rolling on the floor so look elsewhere for that.
    Is that true? So you are saying that out of the hundred's of CMA systems out there none of them cover groundfighting?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast