Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 3:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Most practical forms of CMA?

I'm looking around to see what MA I'd like to get involved with, and I don't know enough about CMA (because there's just so much info, good and bad!) to know where to look in this quadrant.

So, I figured I ask straight out. I like practical things. I'd like to learn something that I could use to defend myself in a dark alley- not because I spend much time in dark alleys, just because I like practical. I'd also like to learn something that I could, if I wanted, compete with. Currently, from other sectors MT and Judo are looking like good choices, just to give you an idea of what I'm most interested in so far. I know CMA is not inherently the most practical of MA's, but I figured I'd see what each region had to offer.

So, what defensive CMA would you choose to protect yourself in a dark alley? How about an offensive CMA?

P.S. If you've got anything that's halfway practical, and uses unusual techniques (like the pressure points of mantis), throw that in too! I am not limiting myself to just one, and as they say variety is the spice of life.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 4:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything that competes in full contact competition, basically (which for CMA will probably be sanda, san shou, or MMA).

Being a Judo nut, shuai jiao really floats my boat. I doubt you'd find much of that outside of China though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 8:31am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
    I know CMA is not inherently the most practical of MA's, but I figured I'd see what each region had to offer.

So, what defensive CMA would you choose to protect yourself in a dark alley? How about an offensive CMA?

CMA obviously means it comes from China and that by itself is extremely vague. CMA arts are nearly unregulated, non standardized and vary greatly from school to school. You have to research individual schools much more than pick a style and jump in if you have specific goals in mind. Firstly they should train against attacks you expect to encounter. The catch is that you may not be wise enough to know if their methods are effective outside of class. If the attackers move in a way that looks unrealistic, robotic and too compliant well that is a bad start.

See what schools are available find out what they focus on and what they do to ensure what they teach has credibility. You are welcome to return here and share your findings for others to comment on.

Offense and defense really should not be separated if you think in only one dimension its a serious shortcoming.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hung gar, Bagua, Xingyi, or Taiji schools where students actually try hit each other and learn takedowns would be a good place to focus your search. These have a rep (assuming the school is legit) for being the more practical styles of gong fu (practical as in some of these actually spar and train freeform fighting).

Ask to observe classes first (I'd suggest this for any art). You really want to find a sifu who is on the level and one search on Bullshido will show you many are not. If you get pushback on that, I'd walk out.

Real gong fu training is very hard on the body. If you feel your first month is "easy", you are at the wrong kind of place.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/10/2011 8:45am at .

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baguazhang was designed for use with multiple attackers making it one of the more practical arts.

the system of Baguazhang I teach is known for realistic defense against people trying to harm you.

Let me know if you are ever in Boston, you are always welcome to come visit and train with me and my students.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Anything that competes in full contact competition, basically (which for CMA will probably be sanda, san shou, or MMA).

Being a Judo nut, shuai jiao really floats my boat. I doubt you'd find much of that outside of China though.
    There is a lot of incredible Shuai Jiao outside of China. Many people got out of China before the communists took over and ruined much.

You should research more before you make statements that make you look extremely ignorant.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 9:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I stand corrected.

Although I have researched. The nearest school to me that claims Shuai Jiao is 100 miles away, and they apparently don't teach it for sport. That's not "lots" in my book, considering within a hundred miles there are many dozens of Judo clubs I could go to (just as an example).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 10:30am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relative to Judo, yeah Shuai Jiao is obscure but when you say outside of China that is much more than your 100 mile radius. Just giving the OP competition based styles cuts down his choices tremendously as CMA by nature are not open compared to Japanese and Korean systems. The OP really has to find what his choices are then compare.
    Some styles have good reputations while others very poor but that has to merit on individual schools when it comes to CMA.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Currently, from other sectors MT and Judo are looking like good choices, just to give you an idea of what I'm most interested in so far"
    Sanshou and Shuaijou are the closest in this regard. Depending on your location MT and Judo may be easier to find. ( and IMO often better regulated..Judo especially )

"So, I figured I ask straight out. I like practical things. I'd like to learn something that I could use to defend myself.."
    There is nothing in CMA that specifically covers what happens when you are rolling on the floor so look elsewhere for that.

I am assuming you are a beginner , if so it would do u no harm to try out the MT and Judo for a while to get a good grounding in what to look for in terms of 'practical'....
    I better qualify that i guess, it is rare in my experience for 'kung fu' clubs to get you hands on practice without a few months at best training 'forms', their particular way of expressing 'force' and doing 'compliant' techniques, with some actual experience in 'basic' punching and throwing in a boxing and Judo manner you will quickly be able to spot the 'BS' elements unfortunately so common in CMA .

"P.S. If you've got anything that's halfway practical, and uses unusual techniques (like the pressure points of mantis), throw that in too! I am not limiting myself to just one, and as they say variety is the spice of life."
    As far as the above goes sure 'try out' a few things but prob best to train one style, some 'kungfu' has quite specific ways of using the body so trying to simultaneously learn a couple might not work for you, also PP's are fine but beware the 'Dim Mak' BS...there is a thread on this site which is useful on that subject.
    Last edited by Resonance10; 2/10/2011 1:32pm at . Reason: clarity? duh

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 1:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Relative to Judo, yeah Shuai Jiao is obscure but when you say outside of China that is much more than your 100 mile radius. Just giving the OP competition based styles cuts down his choices tremendously as CMA by nature are not open compared to Japanese and Korean systems. The OP really has to find what his choices are then compare.
    Some styles have good reputations while others very poor but that has to merit on individual schools when it comes to CMA.
    Find something else to pick at please or I will use Dale's response towards you.

Now, maybe YOU don't compete, but these aren't just styles and his sentence is very clear.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast