Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Semen Retention in martial arts

In a recent episode of Skeptoid, host Brian Dunning answered some listener mail on Semen Retention in martial arts. Here's the part that discusses it:

Hi. I'm Jon Peder from the University of Bergen in Norway My question is: Is there anything to semen retention? Any positive or negative effects?

"Semen retention is a practice recommended by some martial arts experts and practioners of traditional Chinese medicine. It refers to the control or prevention of ejaculation by applying pressure to block the ejaculatory duct. It has its basis in jing, which is one of the life force energies that the prescientific Chinese believed to exist, like qi. From a review of the published literature, it seems that different advocates have different takes on it. Some say you should always practice semen retention in order to keep yourself powerful by retaining jing; others say that a carefully followed regimen of ejaculation and retention is best to assure the proper management of jing.

Since jing exists only as a traditional belief and does not exist in the literal sense, there is little actual reason to practice semen retention. So far as I was able to find, there is little or no discussion of it outside of martial arts circles. Some martial artists speak of potential capillary damage from repeated practice, but I did not find this echoed in medical literature.

There's no medical reason to either ejaculate often or to prevent it. Spermatozoa, which are produced constantly, live for about three days, and once they die, they are disposed of by your body just like any other waste. The seminal fluid is also constantly being secreted and reabsorbed. These processes continue independently of whether or not you ejaculate. So if your sensei tells you to retain your semen to increase your life essence, it's probably not going to hurt you to do so; but neither is there any plausible benefit. It's just one more weird thing you can do with your body if it gives you jollies."

You can read or listen to the rest here: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4243

I have heard of this a bit here and there, but nothing too mainstream. Any of you guys encouter this philosophy in training?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    Style
    SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard of the practice (stay away from women when training, it will make your legs weak), but I've never heard any instructor seriously advocating it for training purposes. I would probably join a new gym if my martial arts instructor told me ejaculation was a bad thing.

Style
    Limalama
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought that was more of a taoist or daoist philosophy than anything.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know if the search function works?

(I don't know because I haven't started a new thread since the update.)

OP, does the fucking search button work? I am betting you don't know either.

Try using it and see if you manage to bring up just one of the five thousand times it has been discussed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Limalama
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The website faries really need to fix the search fxn, I just typed semen retention into it and 9 unrelated threads and this one popped up : /

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, the search function is totally fucked at this time.

Damn site changes have made the function all but useless.

To the OP

Get your rocks off when and where you can. Life isn't forever.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just tried google.

Google seems to be fine and unaffected by the update here.

... and yes masturbating makes you blind and spilling your seed makes you weak. It is God's way of punishing you for being Ungodly, unclean, and immoral.

It isn't like there would be some evolutionary advantage to being strong and fit after mating. What stupid fucking animal wants or needs to achieve anything like survival of your progeny, after you bust a nut?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I just tried google.

Google seems to be fine and unaffected by the update here.

... and yes masturbating makes you blind and spilling your seed makes you weak. It is God's way of punishing you for being Ungodly, unclean, and immoral.

It isn't like there would be some evolutionary advantage to being strong and fit after mating. What stupid fucking animal wants or needs to achieve anything like survival of your progeny, after you bust a nut?
    Effing Hell! You're a Poet! Ah, the Age of Romance is not lost...

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vision is not what it used to be, but the eyes are getting older.

......wait....

Weakness could be getting older, ???

Is that thing about getting hairy palms really true?

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Semen retention and drinking pee will make you a total badass. Before you inquire any further, though, I want to see a picture of your girlfriend. If she is hot enough, I will gladly make myself available for grief counseling over her loss of your sexuality.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last