Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 9:35am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In certain cases you can get more calories out of cooked food than from raw. e.g. Feed corn (as opposed to sweet corn).

You can not increase the actual calories that are present, but cooking breaks down the starches into something that is more digestible, therefore you can get more nutrients out of them.

Bones as well - humans can't eat bones, but if you boil them the proteins are released and humans can consume the proteins via the broth.

But no, you can't increase caloric content by cooking.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 9:59am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_l...thermodynamics

Snark aside, there are few things going on, as others have mentioned. The amount of energy in food won't increase from cooking, in the sense that if you were to burn it and measure the energy released it would not increase. Cooking likely decreases calories, actually (from burning, release into the cooking medium in boiling, etc.). But our digestive tract is not a furnace. We chemically digest food and then absorb it. You can increase the bioavailability of nutrients through cooking and thus the effective calories of food.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 10:13am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short answer is no. Cooking food does however lower the amount of energy it requires your body to break down the food into more easily to metabolize parts. Say a cooked steak costs your body 200 calories to break down into molecules it can utilize for energy. A raw steak might cost your body 400 calories to break down.

So while the cooking process does not increase the calorie count, the result is that it causes your body to expend less energy to make use of the food, and that increases the net amount of calories available from consuming it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    You can increase the bioavailability of nutrients through cooking and thus the effective calories of food.
    Eggs are a good example of this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 12:53am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you guys, especially jnp. This is very informative. Too bad there's no such thing as a digestability calorie count, eh?

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 11:36am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a related note, the glycemic index of a food can be changed quite a bit by cooking. Check out the article on TNation about it.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Say a cooked steak costs your body 200 calories to break down into molecules it can utilize for energy. A raw steak might cost your body 400 calories to break down.
    Let's see...

One 6oz serving of lean porterhouse is about 220 calories. Therefore, you can lose 7 pounds of body weight a week on the jnp diet plan: just eat 7 1/2 pounds of raw meat every day.

This thread is awesome.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Let's see...

One 6oz serving of lean porterhouse is about 220 calories. Therefore, you can lose 7 pounds of body weight a week on the jnp diet plan: just eat 7 1/2 pounds of raw meat every day.

This thread is awesome.
    How is this? According to the jnp diet plan, eating that a serving of raw steak would yield a net loss of 180 calories (-400 calories to digest the 220 calories worth) unless my understanding is different then yours. 7 1/2 * 180 gets you 1350 calories lost, far shy of the 24500 calories required to lose 7 lbs.

Yes, I understand this is all very theoretical.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail. Didn't see the 7 1/2 per day segment.

Still, by my math you aren't losing seven pounds.
    Last edited by Kickapoo; 2/09/2011 3:05pm at .
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 3:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    How is this? According to the jnp diet plan, eating that a serving of raw steak would yield a net loss of 180 calories (-400 calories to digest the 220 calories worth) unless my understanding is different then yours. 7 1/2 * 180 gets you 1350 calories lost, far shy of the 24500 calories required to lose 7 lbs.

Yes, I understand this is all very theoretical.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail. Didn't see the 7 1/2 per day segment.

Still, by my math you aren't losing seven pounds.
    That's because negative calorie foods are bullshit, and steak takes nowhere near the caloric energy to consume than it produces for the body when digested (by orders of magnitude). If 6oz of steak contains 220 useful Calories when eaten it might take 5 Calories to break down (which is almost 21kJ which still seems like way too much energy...we might be talking more like tenths of a Calorie (which is still hundreds of joules)).

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...896346,00.html
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/09/2011 3:31pm at .

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, yeah, I understand negative calorie foods are old wife's tales, but I'm not following the theoretical math involved.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast