Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2011 3:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Still Searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Southern Praying Mantis Chicago NW suburbs

Hello fellow Chinese martial arts enthusiasts!

I'd like to inform anyone who lives in the Des Plaines area of Illinois of a Chow Gar Southern Praying Mantis school opening. I am a student and I'm helping the instructor obtain some interested parties to train with us.
    Without being too long-winded, here's a discription of the style, teacher and school(basically our Craigslist listing):

Instructor Brian Snapp trained under Master Paul Whitrod in London, U.K.
    Master Paul Whitrod is of direct lineage of the Great, late Grandmaster Yip Shui of Hong Kong.
    Instructor Snapp is one of only two certified instructors carrying the CHOW GAR SOUTHERN PRAYING MANTIS lineage and offering this "EXTREMELY RARE" Traditional Gung Fu system, in North America.
    Instructor Snapp has gained rich insight from Master Whitrod-Sifu Whitrod has devoted is life to the scholarly pursuit of exotic and beautiful traditional martial arts of Old World India and China. He truly is an inspiring and knowledgeable Master.

LINKS

Master Paul Whitrod, U.K.:
    http://www.chowgarsouthernmantis.com/

Master Li Tin Loi:
    http://www.southernmantis-litinloi.h...ryEnglish.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther...s_(martial_art)

Chow Gar Gao "Chow Family Teachings" Southern Praying Mantis Gung Fu
    is an extremely rare art that utilizes highly effective close range self-defense technique
    that is generated by lightning quick, heavy and powerful "SHOCK" movement.

Often referred to as the "Machine gun" art form, Chow Gar training will develop great strength,
    superior self-defense skill and improved health.

*Iron Body Conditioning *Highly Effective Technique
    *Qi Gong *Ground Fighting/Qin-Na
    *Classical Weapons *San Sau-Fight application
    *Traditional Forms *Sensitivity Training

Currently accepting students. Enrollment is limited.
    Classes will be held in Des Plaines.
    Please email me if interested:
    odonnellrick99@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/07/2011 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck with getting started!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2011 6:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Dale! I'm really stoked on getting the ball rolling. If we can get 4-10 people enrolled (that's pretty much the limit as requested by Sifu Snapp), the school will be on it's way!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 1:04am

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh, why must you be so far away?! I would've loved to roll hands with some authentic Southern Praying Mantis peeps. Best of luck to ya!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 9:53am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I told myself that if i didnt do wing chun. id be doing Southern Mantis. extremly jealous right now...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 3:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity. How far do you think is too far to travel for training?
    This Mantis school was going to open very near me, but now it is about a 1 hr drive. (Gas prices, wear and tear on vehicle :(
    The thing is I have Muay thai school, a combat hapkido school, a BJJ school AND a modern Arnis school (that's 4 friggin' schools) all literally within walking distance!
    Then there is a judo school (10-15 min drive) and also a wing chun school (also about 10-15 minute drive)
    I'm just hoping to get some honest opinions on what some of you might honestly do.
    Man I've always been really intrigued and interested in southern mantis, but the logistics are kind of making it unfeasable it seems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:11pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by more cowbell View Post
    Just out of curiosity. How far do you think is too far to travel for training?
    This Mantis school was going to open very near me, but now it is about a 1 hr drive. (Gas prices, wear and tear on vehicle :(
    The thing is I have Muay thai school, a combat hapkido school, a BJJ school AND a modern Arnis school (that's 4 friggin' schools) all literally within walking distance!
    Then there is a judo school (10-15 min drive) and also a wing chun school (also about 10-15 minute drive)
    I'm just hoping to get some honest opinions on what some of you might honestly do.
    Man I've always been really intrigued and interested in southern mantis, but the logistics are kind of making it unfeasable it seems.
    yeah i know where your comin from. i used to travel an hour out of town for training then an hour back. it gets old quick. an with gas prices ridiculous its pricey. AND all the maintenance your car will need. if i were you id do somethin close to you and if u wanna still do mantis, talk to the sifu and see if you can work out a price for comin out maybe once or twice a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 5:42pm

Style: Chow Gar SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's worth it. If he's been trained by Paul Whitrod you have no worries. Chow Gar SPM is a no nonsense system and very aggressive. Hope you enjoy the training. You could always arrange private training and do so many hours once a month.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 11:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, he was trained by Mr. Whitrod, Yeeu kui. That's kind of where the dilema stems from.
    Do I go to an authentic/certified not to mention very rare and unique school for training (mantis), driving an hour to and fro. And as kouch points out gas prices are through the roof not to mention once again wear and tear on the automobile.
    It's drivin' (no pun intended) me a bit batty because I keep going in circles something like this: muay thai -walking distance, relatively easy to learn, but a bit "sport" minded? (I prefer a bit more "street" mindedness. Then, Mantis rare, something I can do into old age and intersting but far. Now repeat that over and over again and you'll know what I mean! haha.
    Actually i guess I can't really lose choosing either one. Perhaps it's time to flip a coin!

Hey Yeeu kui, the SPM school only trains once a week. How difficult do you think it will be to become proficient when class is held one day a week?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 6:44am

Style: Chow Gar SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chow Gar

Ok. Once a week is fine as you can practice most of it (san sau, stances, forms) at home in your own time. The downside is that a lot of the CG training is with a partner so I would recommend you get someone you can train with (who won't be put off by all the hitting and conditioning). Things like chy sau, doy chong and the numerous conditioining drills are two person affairs. You can do your own conditioning using a sandbag etc at home but you WILL need a partner to get the full benefits. If there is some one near you who goes to the CG school you can train together in between classes.
    If you decide you like it you can purchase the Paul Whitrod series of Chow Gar SPM dvds. They are some of the best I have seen as he covers not just the forms (or conditioning drills, rib bone power etc) but he also teaches the fighting applications of the specific techniques.
    I would also recommend his book "Close in Fighting Skills of Chow Gar Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast