Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is 8 limb Muay Thai Legit? Muay Thai Kru n Gracie BlackBelt in Newfoundland?

There is a gym in my home town, St. John's NL, its been open for several years, it's name is 8 limb muay thai. It seem like a descent place inside, but when i went to check it out I got a bad feeling rather quickly after talk to their Kru, James Richard.

He started his pitch by telling me about his 70+ Pro Fights, stories about having to fight to feed his family, his Black Belt Gracie Jiu Jitsu Credentials, etc.
    Then he continued on his sales pitch by trying to discrediting alot of the other gyms in the area.
    He started by telling how much of a joke eltons fighting system was, Bushido mma was also a joke according to James. The two other gyms who have the best reputations from what i have gathered from asking people and googling, Wisemans Martial Arts and the Foley Families Martial arts were only good if you wish to learn sport karate or recreational cardio kick boxing. (further research i have completed have found both wisemans and foleys have produced several world and international titles).

I could not find any records or references to 8 limbs instructor anywhere. other than him joining ajhan sucharts organization two years ago (after 6ish years of operation).
    no gjj record what so ever.

word on the street is that he got on the plane from toronto to newfoundland as a yellow in akido or something got off the plane with a pro fight record and his black belt.

i need some help finding out who this guy is.
    if he is legit then i will join his club, 70+ pro fights is impressive, if not i hope to bring him down and counter his bullshido.

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 8:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Is 8 limb Muay Thai Legit? Muay Thai Kru n Gracie BlackBelt in Newfoundland?

http://www.heavyweights.net/forums/t...=15974&#131931

this local forum does not speak highly of the group

http://www.8limbmuaythai.com/
    Last edited by ball-shot; 2/05/2011 8:08pm at .

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 8:44pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Is 8 limb Muay Thai Legit? Muay Thai Kru n Gracie BlackBelt in Newfoundland?

I see no reference to a fight record on that website. It doesn't look like a gym I'd choose to train at but it looks a lot better than some I've seen around.

You come across as a disgruntled ex-student or one of their competitors in the local Muay Thai market. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were 'nimuaythai' in the thread above.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

not an ex or compititor, he's the only one that does offer a muaythai program. other places have amateur low kick, full contract programs. thats what i trained in while going to school in ontario.
    i tried some classes in a few places and met the instructor and they were nice people with good programs. it was sketchy how he put everyone down to bring himself up. naturally the spidey senses went off and further looking was required.
    so here i am...
    longtime reader, noob.

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 12:41am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately the only evidence of those claims he made to you were in person, you can't come onto MABS badmouthing gyms anonymously with no evidence of bullshido.

Welcome to the site. If you are genuinely asking whether you should train there my advice would be to look elsewhere. In future ask these questions in YMAS, this section is for serious business.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.heavyweights.ca/forums/to...25&whichpage=3
    this is a forum of locals discussing the claims made by one mr richard about his ranking in bjj. alot of people are disgruntled by this gentleman. more than i thought....

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 11:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what about multiple in person opinions? read the heavyweights forum stuff

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 11:55am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about you stop spamming the Heavyweight forum links? Find all the threads and post them in one post. Then research the facts instead of stating "look at what these people are saying."

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 12:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ball-shot View Post
    what about multiple in person opinions? read the heavyweights forum stuff
    Your thread was moved out of MABS because it does not meet the criteria for a thread to merit remaining in MABS.

Normally I would point you to the "How to post in MABS" thread and ask you to read it, but that thread got lost in the recent site upgrade.

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 8:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes they're legit

8 Limb is an awesome gym.
    I've trained there and it was great. Kru James and all the other staff are wonderful and positive people, and Kru James is a certified Kru with the World Muay Thai Council. He is very experienced in the sport and it shows in how he trains.

You really shouldn't trust the ravings of those lunatics on the heavyweights forums - saying that 8 Limb has never been to Thailand because of how they bow (which is wrong, they bow with the traditional Silat bow). Of course they've been to Thailand - and brought back plenty of medals. Just check their facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/8-Limb...i/124424000962

8 Limb Muay Thai produces champions. Check their website:
    http://www.8limbmuaythai.com/fighters.html
    against rankings on other sites:
    http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/rankmamt.htm

They're legit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast