Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naw don't worry about that. Go with what you know. You are a general across the board reviewer and that is good for the website. This is one of the two specific genres that I love, up until the wushu wuxia phase where I became more selective in what I watched.

There were about 5-6 other faces I recognized as minor characters from old school movies. The cast list is incomplete so, I have to break out some old movies to figure out who they played.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost said Warriors Two, because that is one of my favorite movies; not just favorite Chun movies, but favorite of all movies. Of course, I am partial to good old Beardy and rank his Cantonen Iron Kung Fu as one of my other all time faves. W2 gets overlooked by a lot of people, though I should have know you wouldn't be one of them.

PS. I love seeing Venoms in more modern roles. That's why I loved Hard Boiled.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 11:06am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, Warriors Two gets overlooked and I don't know why. Warriors Two is in my Top 20 of all time favorites. Hard Boiled was cool. Dude Beardy was one of the underrated greats. The fact Beardy had no Martial arts training or gymnastics makes him even more impressive.

My favorite movie with Beardy is The Victim.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 11:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Saw it today on the big screen third favorite chun movie of all time. Nationalistic plot is a staple of KF movies. The wire work was minimal which is great. You could tell what scenes Sammo had a hand in and all the cameos were awesome.

I disagree that the plot was anymore contrived than the 100 other nationalistic plots and that includes bruce lee movies. I enjoyed that the boxing actually worked and they actually used the chain punches of death as a diversionary attack to open other areas of the body. I like that they toned down the invincibility of the chun. I also enjoyed the homage to Style vs. Style that is missed in all of the new movies.

I would have seen this sooner if either of you boneheads would have commented on the cameos in that movie.
    I just came across this review.

Have to say, I liked the first Ip Man film better, however I can easily say that it isn't by much. Both were extremely well filmed and shot, acted, choreographed and acted. The fish market scene and the council of masters scenes are two of the finest I think I have ever viewed, I just didn't like the way they did the ending.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 11:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am glad you liked it but I really found the nationalism painful to endure. The nationalistic themes in most kung fu movies are baised on history. British stealing plundering, mistreatment of Chinese people then Wong Fei Hung to the rescue, okay. Japanese occupation of Shanghai, calling Chinese the "sick man of Asia" enter Huo Yuanjia and Liu Zheng Shen. Its hard to differentiate facts from legends with these charaters. Did Huo Yuanjia fight a Russian wrestler, a British boxer, Japanese Judicas (SP), die with controversy about being poison by the Japanese? Yes. Yip man did not flee the Japanese, it was the communist. Yip Man never fought an American boxer and the boxer was exaggerated to play a heal like the Russian who challenged the Chinese calling them sick man of Asia. After the Russian forfeited the fight to Huo Yuanjia he aditted the act was how he genrated business. The idea of nationalism is not unexpected in Yip Man II but I really feel its taken to extreme and not exaggeration but purely fictional. The audience is already cheering for Yip Man so why exaggerate so much? There was plenty of legend behind Yip Man to explore without complete fabrication.

To me the cameos were a disappointment for me so I never mentioned them. Its understood that these men are much older but I just might be a hard customer to please. There was a Soap Opera of Wing Chun I watched about 40 episodes. I bared threw it because I enjoyed the plot but I had the same feelings when I saw Gordon Los Cameo. He just seemed fat and so slow, for me the cameo would have been better served using some one that can move better.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Victim is easily one of the top 10 KF movies of all time. Which brings up another point, that just about anything involving Sammo Hung is gold. Magnificent Butcher. Pedicab Driver. Maybe not Martial Law, though. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    The Victim is easily one of the top 10 KF movies of all time. Which brings up another point, that just about anything involving Sammo Hung is gold. Magnificent Butcher. Pedicab Driver. Maybe not Martial Law, though. lol
    Those movies are great and the theme is not about nationalism! Great Kung Fu movies usually have incredible plots. Warriors 2 had such low budget constraints like using yarn on someones face for a scar but used a bear trap in a fighting scene, awesome!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    I am glad you liked it but I really found the nationalism painful to endure. The nationalistic themes in most kung fu movies are baised on history. British stealing plundering, mistreatment of Chinese people then Wong Fei Hung to the rescue, okay. Japanese occupation of Shanghai, calling Chinese the "sick man of Asia" enter Huo Yuanjia and Liu Zheng Shen. Its hard to differentiate facts from legends with these charaters. Did Huo Yuanjia fight a Russian wrestler, a British boxer, Japanese Judicas (SP), die with controversy about being poison by the Japanese? Yes. Yip man did not flee the Japanese, it was the communist. Yip Man never fought an American boxer and the boxer was exaggerated to play a heal like the Russian who challenged the Chinese calling them sick man of Asia. After the Russian forfeited the fight to Huo Yuanjia he aditted the act was how he genrated business. The idea of nationalism is not unexpected in Yip Man II but I really feel its taken to extreme and not exaggeration but purely fictional. The audience is already cheering for Yip Man so why exaggerate so much? There was plenty of legend behind Yip Man to explore without complete fabrication.
    Ahhhh you are one of those movie watchers. I took this entire movie as a work of fiction.
    So we will disagree as you appear to have Comic Book Nerditis.
    To me the cameos were a disappointment for me so I never mentioned them. Its understood that these men are much older but I just might be a hard customer to please. There was a Soap Opera of Wing Chun I watched about 40 episodes. I bared threw it because I enjoyed the plot but I had the same feelings when I saw Gordon Los Cameo. He just seemed fat and so slow, for me the cameo would have been better served using some one that can move better.
    Gordon Liu?
    If they did that no one would ever make a cameo. Very nerdy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 5:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    You know what? Martial Law started off and rated better than Walker Texas Ranger and then they got rid of everyone important. There were rumors that Chuck wasn't happy that the show was pulling better ratings than Walker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Warrior II is completely fictional though using real life characters, yes I accept that. If you are going to write fiction it should at least be interesting.

I had a girlfriend that was into pro wrestling. I remember watching Stone Cold rise to fame then seeing him after his comeback and just felt embarrassed at how washed up he seemed. There is nothing wong with graceful cameos no need to try to keep up with what you cant do anymore.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast