Posted On:
    2/04/2011 1:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for a hard workout w/o torso muscle load

Hiho,

So, I was hacked'n sliced today.
    The moles that I had removed lied exactly over the linea sternalis, and, which is worse, over the trapezius.

Which means I'll have to can any serious weight training for the next two weeks (until the filaments get removed), where I better should not do any heavy lifting, or exercises where the torso gets all worked up.

- Which sucks greatly, because the first two weeks of March I will be on tryout for a certain position at my local gym, and I am still, simply put, too weak, too slow, and too fat.

So, apart from endless cardio and biceps curls, what can I do during this forced downtime?

I already got some sort of a plan, but I'd appreciate any kind of additional input and creative ideas on the workout.

Thank you very much,

Rafe
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 2/04/2011 1:41pm at .

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 1:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Looking for a hard workout w/o torso muscle load

No? Nobody? :(
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 2/05/2011 1:20pm at .

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 6:37pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Looking for a hard workout w/o torso muscle load

Alright, this is my attempt to be helpful.

Traps are involved (often overly involved) in a whole lot of movements including the simple act of just holding onto weight. I'm sure if you've ever deadlifted heavy or done anything where you hold a weight at length (farmers walks or any variations thereof) you've noticed this. As such you are really limited to movements that do not put stress through your torso or holding any weights.

Do not despair! This might be a good opportunity get some good unilateral leg training in. A lot of people neglect this area because you can't move as much weight around and its "functionality" is disputed, but unilateral leg work helps to correct imbalances, hits stabilizers hard, and contributes to overall balance. I'm a big fan.

My first suggestion would be to start off learning and perfecting the "cook hip lift" to make sure you have proper glute function. That's more of an activation drill, but done enough can be an exercise.

From there your imagination and willingness to subject yourself to pain is the limit. For knee dominant movements there are: single leg squats, high and low box step ups, bulgarian split squats, etc. For hip dominant movements there is are: single leg RDLs, king deadlift, 1/2 squat 1/2 deadlift, and a whole lot of supine bridging stuff you can progress to from the hip lift. If you like doing calf/tibialis work that should be totally fine too.

You will be limited to a large extent by what sort of equipment you have access to, but that's always the case. Upper body, my suggestion would be to try to stick to a cable column doing mostly elbow flexor/extensor stuff. You can also use this as a chance to work your grip and wrist muscles heavily with little side effect to the rest of your program

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, man, many thanks for your answer!

I will try that as soon as I get well again!

Why am I unwell? ...Well, this genius here thought "nah, the cut is too small to bother", and made a four-stitches wound an eight-stitches wound by dorkily exercising before the scar had fully closed.

Out of training until at least Monday... :(
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 2/11/2011 4:27pm at .

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 4:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Pardon the shortness of the answer, I have to try an exercise until I really can comment on it.)