Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's something I'm doing on my own. It's not for dealing with somebody who has a powerful grip, it's for giving them something to worry about once I've broken the grip so they don't just take it back. (Assuming the grip break didn't open them up for an immediate throw.)

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry mate. I must be having a slow day today. Don't mean to turn this into 20 questions, but I'm quite confused about what it is you're trying to achieve with working on a grip nearer the elbow, especially on power grippers.

Normally if you break off someones grip and then hold them around the elbow they will quite quickly and easily regain their collar grip. Putting you back to square one, this is why its standard practice to pin the wrist down away from you.

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 11:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I grip by the wrist I feel like all I'm doing is holding them off. Occasionaly I'll take it and go for the sode tsurikomi goshi, but you can't do that every time.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 1:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    It's something I'm doing on my own. It's not for dealing with somebody who has a powerful grip, it's for giving them something to worry about once I've broken the grip so they don't just take it back. (Assuming the grip break didn't open them up for an immediate throw.)
    So you cut their "power grip/high collar grip" on your lapel and attempt to control their hand/arm by gripping at the elbow, correct?

You will have more control if you grip at their wrist in that it will be easier to keep their hand off of your lapel, or at least off of your neck.

If you can keep their hand lower than their shoulder, that should be sufficient control to negate their tsurite/power hand.

Ben

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 9:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I didn't get any video, but today I had a match where I stood too tall and got taken backwards. It's a bit of a balancing act this judo thing, isn't it?

Also I have laryngitis, which sucks.

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 9:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. You do what your coach tells you and you get thrown, you don't do what your coach tells you and you still get thrown. Judo sucks.

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 9:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Yup. You do what your coach tells you and you get thrown, you don't do what your coach tells you and you still get thrown. Judo sucks.
    No, I did what I was told and I got a bronze in the recharge.

Luckily though, both my coaches told me to do the same thing - or at least things that were compatible. One of our guys got fucked over by the second and first telling him to do the exact opposite moves.

Edit: **** - I've lost my medal.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 2/19/2011 9:55pm at .

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 10:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    No, I did what I was told and I got a bronze in the recharge.

Luckily though, both my coaches told me to do the same thing - or at least things that were compatible. One of our guys got fucked over by the second and first telling him to do the exact opposite moves.

Edit: **** - I've lost my medal.
    Hmm, I must have misunderstood.

Anyway good to hear you're still getting stuck into comps and getting experience.

Don't worry about losing medals lol, I've lost or given away to chicks most of my medals. My coach has none of his national and international comp medals, his mum has them all, lol.

Anyway point being, you know what you've achieved and what you've won. You don't need a bit of tin to prove it.

I throw all my medals into my bag and forget about them, I only worry about whether I've done good Judo and if that gets me a medal then its great if not then I must suck lol.

Anyway keep us updated with the vids and the comp results if you keep up your workrate then that dan grade is just round the corner.

Posted On:
    2/20/2011 2:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Hmm, I must have misunderstood.
    I was fairly locked when I wrote that, so I'm not surprised.

I went into my first fight half asleep - something that is not usually a problem with me. Took my grips, but dropped into what I thought was a very defensive posture. Stayed there for a few seconds, then thought "I'd better stand up straight and do some judo before I get a shido", and then I got ipponed. I think it was the first time ever that I had my coaches telling me not to stand up so straight.

After that I just shut up and did what I was told. Well, at least I tried to do what I was told.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 3:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on the bronze, it's all experience at this point.

Ben
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123