LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    Problem is that there are people who pop up on here and say that crap all the time due to ignorance or just being a troll. Since there were no emoticons attached to the whole thing I just figured you for a troll.
    since when does adding emoticons legitimise troll posting T___T

To the OP: It's certainly a shame when irrelevant bullcrap gets in the way of your training. I know how you feel. In addition, instructors teaching techniques they claim will never work seems.. counter-productive to say the least.

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 2:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GB-BJJ / Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad you were able to find something you enjoyed after having a mixed experience with the TKD class. Some people can get discouraged and lose interest after having an experience like yours and quit all together. I had a similar experience last year, and basically dropped the class for after 2 months. Took me a year to get back into something else. Glad I did.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, some dabbling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a key thing is the "mixed" environment. I'm not trying to pretend TKD was all that in the past either, but back in the day it was an adult thing to do and they trained hard contact sparring and hard conditioning and hard fitness. If there was a kid's class, it was separate. Nowadays, every class is a kid's class and every other class is "mixed" (gradings are done on a kid's level too, as if you'll cry if you fail). Individual instructors get their wages paid by the kids, then wonder why they don't have any good adult students. Combine the old fashioned training attitude and the modern equipment and training knowledge and lack of BS-expectations in today's MMA world, you can achieve so much. An art doesn't need much to be a good art - TKD has good kicks, punches and in the old days elbows, knees and all that. It could have been an almost credible modern art with some trad. form trappings but the kids took over and now all we have is creches and Olympic taekwon-do. I love Olympic taekwon-do but it's rarely the basis for the all round martial artist, TKD was supposedly supposed to be. I went over to Sport Kickboxing and I felt I got a lot out of TKD that I might not have learned elsewhere (footwork, leg strength, leg speed, closing distance with punches) but I can see why most people don't. It's just not a level playing field.

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 9:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is what I have learned in my 20+ years in TKD.

Taekwon-Do really starts at black belt. (but do not be in a rush to get there)
    Taekwon-Do really starts when you train with other black belts. (pain is the best teacher)
    Taekwon-Do really starts when you compete in large tournaments. (with good competition)
    Taekwon-Do really starts when you go to international instructor courses and special trainings. (Lead by qualified instructors)
    It is normal to get bored between blue belt and black stripe.
    It is normal to get bored when you are the best in your class.
    It is normal to get bored when there are no good black belts to look up to.
    It is not up to Taekwon-Do to make us great, it is up to US to MAKE Taekwon-Do great by training hard, being loyal to our instructors, and reading General Choi's Encyclopedia.
    Being a good student is hard, being a good instructor is even harder.
    Be gentle with the weak and tough to the strong.

Best wishes to all in TKD!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 8:48pm

Style: Taekwondo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I hope you find what your looking for in Martial Arts. I currently train in Taekwondo and I can tell it isn't a Mcdojo.

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 12:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am teaching TKD at my instructors Dojo. I do not charge for classes. The belt ranking/testing systems suck. I beleive in goals like the next belt but belt mills are everywhere. If you can find a teacher who is teaching just for the love of the MA you are way further ahead. My instructor is 71 and teaches from his home at no cost. This is the true spirit, the way it was at one time. Good luck on your path to find the right training... keep searching and don't give up until you find it.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DogAlpha View Post
    I am teaching TKD at my instructors Dojo. I do not charge for classes. The belt ranking/testing systems suck. I beleive in goals like the next belt but belt mills are everywhere. If you can find a teacher who is teaching just for the love of the MA you are way further ahead. My instructor is 71 and teaches from his home at no cost. This is the true spirit, the way it was at one time. Good luck on your path to find the right training... keep searching and don't give up until you find it.
    Why is teaching for free true spirit and charging is not? Why can I not have a passion for it and charge a fee to teach it. It makes me wonder if musicians go through this same crap when they charge for lessons?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 4:37pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    Why is teaching for free true spirit and charging is not? Why can I not have a passion for it and charge a fee to teach it. It makes me wonder if musicians go through this same crap when they charge for lessons?

... or mechanics when they fix your car, or a Doctor when they heal you, or that Preacher on Sunday who doesn't get paid, oh wait yes they do... and the list goes on and on.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    ... or mechanics when they fix your car, or a Doctor when they heal you, or that Preacher on Sunday who doesn't get paid, oh wait yes they do... and the list goes on and on.
    Exactly. I believe we are probably one of the few industries that scrutinize and nearly crucify people who make good money (or any money for that matter) doing what we love to do. The whole myth that traditionally instructors were not paid they did it for the love of it haunts us to this very day. Instructors did teach for profit. Be it trading for food or shelter or money, there vast majority of the time martial arts was taught in exchange for some sort of payment.

Not everyone who makes a nice living in the industry is a crook or providing crappy water down instructions. Some are just good business men/women who know how to teach as well.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screwed up History. People don't research. Now, Korean History I do not know, but CMA it was a side business. You were an educator, a medical doctor and you could teach for free at times. Also, it was a pay what you could just like now. There were people they taught for free, but most paid large amounts. There is enough research that many of the arts started with the rich and ruling class who had TIME to practice.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast