insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsnake View Post
    According to the unified quantum theory (still in the works) there is maybe 4 dimensions if you add time (time-space continuum). The "holographic principle" create a 2D space for the creation of a new quantum theory. It very well may be an unanswerable question.
    More bad science. "Maybe 4 dimensions"? Are you living in 1908????

You are describing Minkowski spacetime.

That's not a modern theory of the Universe, it's over a hundred years old.

Most modern TOEs (Theory of Everything) have at least 10 dimensions, including all the string theories, quantum field theory, bosonic theory (26 dimensions! but alas wrong), and of course my favorite and Stephen Hawking's, M-Theory, which has 11.

You might be bad science troll. Stop before it's too late.

I have not been into physics since college, but the point is not that the universe has this or that number of dimensions. I was referring to our perception of reality (in 3D) and that MA are related to this concept by being a 3D concept.
    Yeah I know. Stop trying to use science to support your arguments if science isn't your strong point. Logic and reasoning are much better choices.

If you post "science fact" here at Bullshido, your science will be reviewed, analyzed, and possibly **** upon.

Even if you mean well.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/27/2011 6:10pm at .

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:08pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere that almost the totality of all the Budo founders (Funakoshi, Kano, Ueshiba... ) were against sports competition in their arts. It is interesting to see that it is now the only way people practice their arts anything close to what they intended because nobody spar adequatly anymore in the dojos...
    Well... If you want an effective martial art in the sense that you can use it successfully to dominate an opponent in a high-risk, conflict-resolution scenario -- i.e. self-defense, combat, duels, what have you -- then you need to practice it against a resisting opponent. And sporting competition is the whetstone for keeping that edge.

But Kano, Ueshiba, and Funakoshi were all (and I'm generalizing) trying to establish their martial arts as more than simply a good way to physically dominate an opponent. They believed the ultimate victory is over the self. There's some high-falutin' philosophizin' that can go with that -- leading to the idea that even if you die in combat, if you mastered your fears and weaknesses in the situation, you attained a victory.

Kano's fear was the sport would become an end unto itself and dilute the philosophy that Judo was a total way to live -- including as a method of self-defense when the situation warranted it.

You can go too far with this philosophizin', in which case you get the current state of Aikido. Beautiful and graceful, but largely ineffective in personal combat. Why do it at all?

One thing I've taken away from my Aikido experiences is my teachers wanted the student to cooperate in harmony with the partner. Consider all the times in your week you have minor friction with others; maybe you have major friction. I think cooperating through conflict is a more difficult skill than it first appears. Aikido is less about beating people then it is about living with people. You don't have to be passive about resolving your frictions, but you have to find ways to play well with others.

A strategy of harmonization rather than domination can suck the martial right out of a martial art. Because Aikido has lost much of it's "martial-ness" it is not considered very effective by BS.net. But is it a failure? Maybe not, so long as you aren't studying Aikido for self-defense purposes.

I believe BBT is in a similar position to Aikido. It already seems more about the philosophizin' than the fightin'. But what happens Post-Hatsumi? That's anyone's guess, and is pure speculation.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for shutting the **** up, (very polite, btw), dont hold your breath...
    The polite card won't get you very far on Bullshido.

Wabbit is a troll. An entertaining troll, but a troll nonetheless. He's just winding you up. Don't worry. He'll grow on you and soon you won't be able to live without him.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post

Wabbit is a troll. An entertaining troll, but a troll nonetheless. He's just winding you up. Don't worry. He'll grow on you and soon you won't be able to live without him.
    Styygens is just pretending to be helpful, but remember he's a ninja.

He's just trying to disarm you so that the moment you turn around he's going to shove a stiletto into the back of your neck.

Whereas I am helping you expand your knowledge of the Universe and warning you of the impending pains of a Bullshido noob. Or at least confusing you.

Confusion is good for a Friday, it means you don't have to take anything seriously until Monday.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/27/2011 6:23pm at . Reason: Mowing is also good for a Friday, and so...off I go.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere that almost the totality of all the Budo founders (Funakoshi, Kano, Ueshiba... ) were against sports competition in their arts.
    Well, Kano actually wrote rules for his first competitions.
    http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical...sukuma-higashi
    Funakoshi Karate Jutsu:

"The reason that until now there has been no assigning of ranks in karate is that it has not been possible to have shiai (competitive matches) as in judo or kendo. This is because of the devastating power of karate techniques; a strike to a vital point could immediately prove fatal. Likewise, in times past swordsmanship was taught only through kata since a shiai, whether using real swords or wooden swords, was always fought at the risk of one’s life. Subsequently, today’s face masks and wrist guards were developed, and although this brought about a certain amount of degradation in kendo, it allowed it to become that much closer to a sport rather than a martial art. With continuing research it is not unfeasible that as in judo or kendo our karate, too, might incorporate a grading system through the adaptation of protective gear and the banning of attacks to vital points.
    In fact, I believe that it is important to move in that direction.”
    I am going to disagree with your list and that they were against it all together.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post

Ok, thanks.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, all you cockroaches: it's time to scatter! Fake just turned the lights on in the kitchen!

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    He's just trying to disarm you so that the moment you turn around he's going to shove a stiletto into the back of your neck.
    That's not a stilleto!

This is the JMA forum, therefore it must be a tanto, neh?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well, Kano actually wrote rules for his first competitions.
    http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical...sukuma-higashi
    Funakoshi Karate Jutsu:

I am going to disagree with your list and that they were against it all together.
    Great, I'm happy to learn that. Thank you for correcting me.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345