Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 4:12am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't feel too bad. Most Booj schools are crap.

I've seen people promoted to black belt in the space of two years, that couldn't wipe their own asses with their belts. Though that's all those belts are good for. Many upper dan levels that weren't much better.

Your kendo experience also demonstrates that weapons training is marginal at best, also. Some of these guys lift waza from other systems because they never received proper weapons training.

Stick with judo, you'll be in better shape and able to mop the floor with most boojies ( as well as the rest of the general population ).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 4:47pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got very dissapointed with the Booj and after sometime I quit. After lurking here my dissapointment was reassured and encouraged to try something with a live component.

After some time going to see some dojos and gyms a found a very awesome kyokushin dojo... at first glimpse it was proved to me that the Booj is absolutely worthless and not effective.

I only wish I had left the Booj earlier.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 6:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I been in bujinkan for almost a year (green belt 8th kyu), and went through the same doubts (effectiveness, training, etc.) because of my previous carreer in law enforcement. I tought I was the problem, so I bought some Hatsumi Sensei books to better understand the techniques. Well, that didnt work so well... I cant make much use of those "cryptically written" texts. I really have a strange feeling about bujinkan. I wish it would not be so, 'cause as a teen I used to love the idea of ninjutsu (real ninjutsu, not hollywood ninjutsu).

Next month we're moving into a new house and there will be a kyokushin karate school nearby. I'm REALLY tempted to switch. Your post(s) are good points... I'm a bit undecided because after trying several schools of karate, ju-jutsu, etc I came to the conclusion to stick with a ryu and progress. (I'd like a black belt someday - yes, I know it's a very occidental reflexion and I dont care all that much). Also, at my booj dojo we do have stand up sparring and ground fighting. I read somewhere kyukushin do not have throws or ground techniques... But I'm very much interested anyway in kyokushin
    Any further advice please?

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your booj sparring look like?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 8:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stand up :Well technically almost anything goes (2 exceptions : no contact to face and to groin. Only open hands to face in case of accidental contact). But the sparring is light to medium-light contact with the occasional good hit. Grappling and projection are ok. Overall, looks much like a "classical" karate competition but more cahotic...

Ground : No strikes only grappling, but no other rules. EX : eyes, pressure points, chokes, etc. all ok.

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 8:50pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsnake View Post
    I been in bujinkan for almost a year (green belt 8th kyu), and went through the same doubts (effectiveness, training, etc.) because of my previous carreer in law enforcement. I tought I was the problem, so I bought some Hatsumi Sensei books to better understand the techniques. Well, that didnt work so well... I cant make much use of those "cryptically written" texts. I really have a strange feeling about bujinkan. I wish it would not be so, 'cause as a teen I used to love the idea of ninjutsu (real ninjutsu, not hollywood ninjutsu).

Next month we're moving into a new house and there will be a kyokushin karate school nearby. I'm REALLY tempted to switch. Your post(s) are good points... I'm a bit undecided because after trying several schools of karate, ju-jutsu, etc I came to the conclusion to stick with a ryu and progress. (I'd like a black belt someday - yes, I know it's a very occidental reflexion and I dont care all that much). Also, at my booj dojo we do have stand up sparring and ground fighting. I read somewhere kyukushin do not have throws or ground techniques... But I'm very much interested anyway in kyokushin
    Any further advice please?
    Interesting...

I guess my question is: What do you want out of your training?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's the problem. Right now I'm somewhat confused. I always wanted a training in traditionnal martial arts and not "combat sport". However, to me, the difference between the two is now unclear : in martial arts we do not fight cause it's "deadly" and there is no competition. In sports they do fight. But how on God's green earth are we gonna know if we are any good if we dont fight once in a while ? NOT with gutless light sparring !! In sports, like mma, the do test themselves and fight and become better. In traditionnal MA we spar and LARP and think that we are the chosen ones and we know better...
    But do we ????

I want good hard training in serious martial arts and some fighting. I want techniques I can rely on and not thinking "hmm... would that work in the real world ?". I been in some real fights and seen some brutal confrontations (former law enforcement) and most of what I learned yet is suspect at best in efficiency.

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's the problem. Right now I'm somewhat confused. I always wanted a training in traditionnal martial arts and not "combat sport".
    Why?

However, to me, the difference between the two is now unclear : in martial arts we do not fight cause it's "deadly" and there is no competition. In sports they do fight. But how on God's green earth are we gonna know if we are any good if we dont fight once in a while ? NOT with gutless light sparring !! In sports, like mma, the do test themselves and fight and become better. In traditionnal MA we spar and LARP and think that we are the chosen ones and we know better...
    But do we ????

I want good hard training in serious martial arts and some fighting. I want techniques I can rely on and not thinking "hmm... would that work in the real world ?". I been in some real fights and seen some brutal confrontations (former law enforcement) and most of what I learned yet is suspect at best in efficiency.
    Do judo. You throw people for real. Getting dropped on concrete really hurts. It even has traditions and stuff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why "martial arts" and not "combat sports" ? That's a damn good question. Actually I dont have any good or reasonnable answer to that...

Judo is a great idea, thank you. I will look into that
    '

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 5:16pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why "martial arts" and not "combat sports" ? That's a damn good question. Actually I dont have any good or reasonnable answer to that...

Judo is a great idea, thank you. I will look into that
    That was too easy.

Well, that's the problem. Right now I'm somewhat confused. I always wanted a training in traditionnal martial arts and not "combat sport". However, to me, the difference between the two is now unclear : in martial arts we do not fight cause it's "deadly" and there is no competition. In sports they do fight. But how on God's green earth are we gonna know if we are any good if we dont fight once in a while ? NOT with gutless light sparring !! In sports, like mma, the do test themselves and fight and become better. In traditionnal MA we spar and LARP and think that we are the chosen ones and we know better...
    But do we ????

I'm with Lindz in asking the question, "Why?" about TMA [yes, I know it's a loaded word] as opposed to something like MMA -- really, any Alive art or system.

BS.net leans toward Alive training. If you really want practical, applicable self defense, then by all means... Do Judo.

In fact, given that Judo is widely considered a "TMA" [there's that loaded term again] you should find many of the other attributes you were looking for all in one package. But I'm sorta assuming you had some other attributes in mind for choosing a "TMA." So did you?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast