Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Commando Krav Maga - Credibility of the style and its instructors.

I've wanted to train in Krav Maga the instant I learned about it. Unfortunately, there were no schools in my area at all that taught it. Just today, I found out that there's a Commando Krav Maga gym in my city. I'm just a little skeptic though, because I remember reading that Commando Krav Maga was a scam.

You guys know a lot more than I do; is it a scam?

Here is a website of the style with "certified instructors":
    http://www.commandokravmaga.com/html/locations/ab.html

The two men, Jimmy Hall and Dr. Randy Moore teach in my hometown of Calgary (Alberta).

This is their website:
    http://www.integritytkd.com/index.html

If this is all credible, I would love to get into training as soon as possible.

EDIT: They also have a video on a local TV station:
    http://video.citytv.com/video/detail...nse-for-women/
    Last edited by No7oriouSx; 1/29/2011 7:48pm at . Reason: Additional Information

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Integrity tea kwon do? Seriously?

They look like a TKD school that started Krav program for some extra cache.

"Escape from unexpected street-holds", "Violent strangles".

Ugh, I wouldn't go near this place.

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The two gentlemen you mentioned are Level 2 instructors. To become a Level 2 instructor in Commando Krav Maga, you only have to attend a 3 or 5 day seminar:

Quote Originally Posted by commandokravmaga.com
    8. Is it possible to become a certified CKM Instructor in a 3-5 day course?

Yes! The first CKM Instructor course builds your foundation and covers the curriculum for Levels 1 and 2 out of the 8 Levels in the system.
    Of course this doesn't mean they don't have anything to teach, but perhaps check to see if there are any other instructors in the area with more experience, or perhaps look into another art altogether (considering that instruction 'certification' in Commando KM only requires taking an extended weekend seminar).

Are you completely sold on Krav Maga?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    The two gentlemen you mentioned are Level 2 instructors. To become a Level 2 instructor in Commando Krav Maga, you only have to attend a 3 or 5 day seminar:

Of course this doesn't mean they don't have anything to teach, but perhaps check to see if there are any other instructors in the area with more experience, or perhaps look into another art altogether (considering that instruction 'certification' in Commando KM only requires taking an extended weekend seminar).

Are you completely sold on Krav Maga?
    Thank you for the heads up!

I'm not completely sold on it, although I favor it the most. Since there was no Krav Maga in my area, I trained in other martial arts. I was going to start training again (I have done some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, for example). I want to start doing Muay Thai now. Commando Krav Maga just happened to enter my view during the same time I was already looking for schools to attend.

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What interests you so much about Krav Maga?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post
    What interests you so much about Krav Maga?
    The fact that it is a pure self-defense martial art made for "the streets" is what interests me the most. Secondly, I like how the attacks require minimum effort with maximum effect.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No7oriouSx View Post
    The fact that it is a pure self-defense martial art made for "the streets" is what interests me the most. Secondly, I like how the attacks require minimum effort with maximum effect.
    You haven't trained martial arts before have you? Those techniques take the same effort as BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai, Boxing, wrestling etc etc etc. Also, it is not "made for the streets." Read up more and realize that the Krav you will learn is admittedly watered down and is not the version that the Police and the IDF use.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last