Sponsored Links Spacer Image

How do I shot web?

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: JKDC, Kali, Swords

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may want to look into trapping a little more sometime. Sometime in MT you are going to get into clinching and neck wrestling aspect, you may find that traps can set you up for some good entry into clinch. A split entry is also good way to get in close. You have some good stuff defending the centerline, but in the future you may want to alter your guard some. Case in point: I was doing punch drills on pads, and I kept dropping my hands some, and as soon as that happened my partner would throw a punch at my head. After the 3rd or 4th time, I learned my lesson. It seems like the guy who sparred with you went easy on you,and also was kind of sloppy, but the time will soon come when you guys are gonna pad up and throwdown at near full speed. If someone sees that your hands aren't up there, you will probably get clocked good in the head. You may have noticed MT's emphasis on footwork, invest serious time into that aspect of training and the rewards shall be great.

You are on to something good, experiment and integrate what is useful from each art and develop them, make it your own. Good luck with your training, you are involved with some good arts. Peace, you killah
    Last edited by Zub-Zub; 3/14/2004 1:47pm at .

Quote Originally Posted by ggboxer
    You know what, the hell with this ****. I'll leave my lame ass bitching ways and suck off the site management as my compliments, but I'll maintain my boobtastic status here always.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 4:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remind me what the fak sao is again please.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Modesty forbids more.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moose: never heard of that gwat sao, I'll ask my sifu next saturday.

Zub Zub: the guy certainly was going easy on me, no doubt about it, and I am not overconfident about my skills, rest assured. I will indeed pay more attention to the MT footwork, but I would like to point out that at the moment I do feel more confortable with the footwork and guard I learned at wing chun. I'll have to have quite a bit more MT experience before deciding whether or not to change those aspects of my game.

Piz Dof: with the palm facing outwards (relat. to your body) and the knife of the hand up, keep your arm extended and move it upwards but keeping the movement inside the centerline. That's a fak sao. You can use it to to clear the centerline from your adversary's attacks, to strike (mostly at the eyes and face), or both.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

How do I shot web?

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: JKDC, Kali, Swords

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WCL, I said "you may". Thats exactly what I meant. And I forgot to mention the miracle of elbows and knees. Depending on your preference, you may come to enjoy the advantage those tools serve. I know I do. Again, good luck with your MT training.

Quote Originally Posted by ggboxer
    You know what, the hell with this ****. I'll leave my lame ass bitching ways and suck off the site management as my compliments, but I'll maintain my boobtastic status here always.

1% Shark is better than you.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 11:05am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm bumping this becasue I am directly referenced in the first post but I was out of town all last week. Thanks for the report WCL Sounds interesting. One of the better WC guys in my gym wants to spar with more WC appropriate rules soon. So I may have a similar write-up soon.

Modesty forbids more.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/16/2004 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sparred again today, this time with a guy with three months of MT under his belt (plus some street fighting experience, according to him). The guy's a bit larger than me, and in better shape (hey, I am a lawyer). I didn't do so well, but it wasn't that bad either.

Let's see:

I tried to keep my tan sao in place (classical wing chun guard), and I kept advancing in order to break his guard and place a punch on his face (didn't try any kicks again, sucks to be me when it comes to kicking). Again, I mostly avoided jabs with this tactic, but the guy sent a lot of hook punches my way: most of them glanced more or less harmlessly, but one of them got me straight in the jaw (still hurting a bit, if you ask me - but then I am a *****).

I did place three or four straight punches in his face rather nicely, if I say so myself, but I didn't put much strength behind them.

My greatest problems, as I saw the fight, were:

1) I was nervous this time, as this guy wasn't much better and experienced than me, so he didn't hold back his blows (neither did I hold my own too much, to be honest), and this DID interfere in my skills (some of those hooks landed because of tunnel vision).

2) Technically, I detected two major problems in my game: first of all, I put too much faith on the tan sao alone, which doesn't seem to help terribly when it comes to hooks after all, and also I didn't use jabs - my front arm was kept in the tan sao position, and (as my MT coach pointed out) I should have used that hand for jabs too. Can't argue with that. Maybe I should consider adopting the MT guard and jabs before closing in for the clinch, THEN reverting to the wing chun guard.

3) My hands were simply too damn slow. I can move them faster, but I was scared of actually escalating the sparring match to a fight, and also, to be honest, I was too nervous in general to move them efficiently that fast. I was also afraid of getting too close, for the same reasons.

Another MT student (a beginner, with no MA experience at all) pointed out that I seemed to be just rushing in against the other guy. Maybe I shouldn't be so eager to get into a clinch, after all - but then, my hands are much faster than my legs, and I still depend mostly on my wing chun training. I'll try to relax more next time, but I don't think I'll give up my "mindless rushing in" tactic, at least not before I can actually kick a bit.

Overall, I would consider that fight a draw, but it was a close one. I am actually a bit disappointed with myself, I think I could have done better (not owned the guy big time, just done better) if I had been more cold and aggressive. Lack of sparring did that, but I also should learn and apply some MT defenses against those damned hooks (my wing chun sifu suggested closing in with elbows, but I don't think that's allowed - plus, honestly I am not sure I could pull this off if I tried).
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Marasmos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/16/2004 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WCL: I'm not sure if this is the case, but it seems to me that you're getting hampered by your WC vs. MT frame of mind. Honestly, there's no reason for you to be asking your WC sifu for advice about what to do in a MT ring, and there's not reason to try to specifically use your WC against his MT. This will keep you from learning Muai Thai, and frankly, it will get your ass beat.

Why did you come to the MT place? To learn MT? To prove something?

If it was to learn MT, then you should by all means concentrate on that. Don't try to force yout WC blocks into the sparring, learn the MT way of handling punches insted. Only then, when you learn both schools, will it be a good time to integrate your skills.

I have a feeling that you still have something to prove, and as a result you're doing yourself a disservice.

Also you have to realize that you're not evaluating your preformance adequately. Trust me on this one. In your earlier post, you thought you did ok against a seasoned MT fighter. Now, you're having trouble with a newbie. I know the feeling. Do you remember my post about how I met my ex boxing coach? I think you're falling into the same trap.

In any case, I hope you stick with it, and it goes well for you.

Alex
    You say what about my rice?

Fancy a milkshake?

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/16/2004 9:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Hapko, get in there and learn the new material and use it as such. Once you have a good handle on both styles then you can look for gaps that may need filling and chances are it will take a while to not only find these consistently, but to integrate your other knowledge. Otherwise keep jumpin in that ring brother...
    "Pussyhole"

Posted On:
    3/16/2004 9:22pm

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i sparred at the vancouver throwdown with jkdchick ... she had the same problem ...

the WC style lead and punching straight in leaves you very open to a left hook counter ... you need to cover yourself when attaching straight in like that ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 5:00am

Style: I do UFC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised you use tan sau for hooks since I never would think they had the ability to stop a hook. Also wouldn't a hook be too high for the tan?? That would mean a) your tan has a high elbow which makes it lose rigidity and b) the angle would be pretty much overdone. Why not try biu or pow (hand brushing hair)? Biu has a stronger angle and structure and is high enough to e used for a hook.

As for tan on jabs don't you find it slow? Why not use pak saus? They would be similar to parries when you have gloves on.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast