Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 1:13am

Style: Modern Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of really interesting thoughts there. I look forward to hearing more. Also, do you feel like things would have gone better if you could have grabbed him or trapped him? Or is that allowed in MT rules?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 3:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good read, thx.

I think doing WT/WC without sparring is almost useless, and as usually in WT/WC class people don't spar, you did the right thing to choose MT.

I would suggest in the future that you try also some wrestling/groundfighting style such as wrestling itself, BJJ judo etc.

I did the opposite than you: I practiced BJJ and kickboxing first for 6 yrs, than shifted to WT and Escrima 2 yrs ago, and I found that my experience in sparring/fighting with the two styles helped me a lot to actually use WT (not Escrima as it is a bit different) in a realistic way.

In my WT class however from 3rd grade up we practice sparring with gloves, headgear etc., which as I said above is fundamental to develop certain reflexes and it's the only way simulate a "real" situation

Ciao

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 7:20am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prone: I will write a follow up to this (article? thanks!) whenever I have something interesting to say about my MT experiences, as compared to my WC training (i.e. usually when I spar). As for the kicking, I guess my sifu wants us to develop a really good base before moving on to that - we do lots and lots of base exercises, remember.

by-the-throat: I don't think grabbing is allowed in MT (I certainly wouldn't try it with those boxing gloves). And I personally don't like trapping: it was hard enough to defend my centerline and attack the other guy, I really don't think trying that would be worth the effort.

bncwd: I actually came from judo. I did 10 years of judo before starting jujutsu, then taekwondo (just a month of that), and finally wing chun. Much as I understand the importance of grappling arts (obviously, as I have more experience on that than with striking), I have much more fun practicing striking arts nowadays.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 2:12pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff.

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 5:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work mate.

Tan sao punch against hook punch? Yeah, i can see how that would work... try fak sao + punch. Trust me.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 7:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Das Moose

Tan sao punch against hook punch? Yeah, i can see how that would work...
    Well, it did work. I had to extend my arm in an angle wider than I am used to, but it did work.

I would love to use the fak sao, but that will be hard to do with boxing gloves on! Still, thanks for the compliment - I´ll update this thread nex time I spar (we didn´t spar yesterday - in my MT class sparring is quite an irregular affair).
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol no mate, didn't mean to imply that i was surprised it did, was just suggesting something different ;-)

Just to check we're talkin about the same technique (cuz i'm not sure how you would find what i'm talkin about hard to do wit boxin gloves on if you can do tan sao, cuz this is even simpler) - if it was a right hook, you basicallly take your left forearm and chop at his forearm. I often do it while turning my right side forward with a punch. Very nice move, at the minute i'm working on making it a reflex.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 9:33am

Style: mulatto homeless boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I finally got to read this WCL. It's very interesting and certainly not what I expected.
    Just a few questions: did you ever lead? what did the guy do when you hit him? did you follow up after landing? did he ever punch on top at any stage of your sparring session?
    Your account got me very interested.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 10:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moose: actually, my own sifu suggested using the fak sao in the way you described yesterday! The point is, at least in my school, the fak sao is practiced turning the knife of the hand up (palm opposite to the body), so I think you understand what I meant when I said I would have some difficulty using that - IMO that technique would be best used against a high hook punch (hope I am making myself understood here).

Kiozz: I lead sometimes, yes. The guy actually didn't mind much when I hit him (I wasn't using too much force, and he was a monster, as I said - plus, we were using boxing gloves). I would like to point out, however, that on two occasions I did hit him with a bit of extra force, enough to force his head backwards in a sudden movement of the neck, as seen when a jab lands in boxing matches, and STILL he wasn't much concerned. Oh well.

He tried to punch on top, but he couldn't pull this off, since my tan sao and my straight punches were ready for that. His faster punch is the jab, and that would mostly be countered by the tan sao, while other punches he tried to launch (mostly hooks and roundpunches) usually opened his guard enough for me to place a straight punch in his face.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, yeah the fak sau is a good technique for high hooks. For body hooks, try a gwat sau - basically you use the same sort of chopping motion, but this time you chop down and out instead of just chopping straight out.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast