Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 3:06am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chiropractor yes or no

So here is the story:

One saturday morning i woke up got out of bed and my whole back spasmed really bad, i couldn't walk sit etc.. without pain, so i spent the saturday and sunday in bed. By monday felt a bit better still lower back pain but walking sitting etc.. was fine, went to bed monday woke up tuesday sore back, tuesday evening felt good, wednesday woke up with sore back and so on untill now Friday.

Someone told me it was my bed but my mattress is fairly new and i flipped it anyway, besides never had problems untill that one morning.

Now the big question:

Should I go to a chiropractor, some guys at my bjj gym go and they say its great others say they will never go again cause the chiropractor made things worse. A guy i work with, he is a runner and he suffered back pain went to a chiro the guy made it so much worse that the doctor told him he could'nt train for 6 months, he says i must just rest my back.

Has anybody had the same issues, and if so what did you do?

I really want to get back on the mats as soon as possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 3:13am

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW, I hurt my back in aikido a while ago, lower back pain, I went to a chiropractor and he didn't do much good. Didn't hurt me any worse thankfully, but it didn't help me either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 3:22am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    FWIW, I hurt my back in aikido a while ago, lower back pain, I went to a chiropractor and he didn't do much good. Didn't hurt me any worse thankfully, but it didn't help me either.
    Alot of guys i speak to say the same thing, thanks.

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 3:26am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just thinking about scheduling an appointment this week. I've been running and could use a straightening out. Chiro's usually really help my back out. I started going as often as I could after I fucked it up at a Judo Shiai. Though I feel that a lot of back problems could be more muscle related and can be helped with regular stretching.

If the pain persists tho' I'd see a doctor as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 4:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had more luck with a sports physiotherapist.

I have back problems as well and have been to several chiropractors some didn't do much for me, some I considered returning in the night and burning their office to the ground and murdering them in their sleep (as soon as I could walk again)

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 5:08am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chiropractic theory is quackery that has not undergone any changes substantial enough to treat it as anything other than "Alternative" or "Complimentary". Manipulation of the neck has proven to be dangerous, yet chiropractors continue to practice this technique because it falls under their model of subluxation. There seem to be some chiropractors who are few and far between that change their practice based on research and evidence, which I have seen no evidence for or against in terms of safety and efficacy.

I'd suggest talking to a doctor first, then seeing about either physical therapy or a massage therapist. If it improves throughout the day, my totally unqualified guess is that it's probably muscular in nature.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 7:00am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My chiropractor is awesome, fixed chronic multi-year pain in my neck and shoulder, gave me a bunch of stretches to do to keep the pain from returning, and generally operates in a manner consistent with sanity.
    Other chiro's I've run into have suggested spinal adjustments to treat everything from bronchitis to cancer and have told people their auras are out of alignment. So you really do risk getting a complete crackpot as a Chiro. The ones that are athletes and come from a sports medicine background of some kind are the ones most likely to actually be able to help you. My first chiro was a long distance runner, my current chiro is a power lifter.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 10:29am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to a doctor first and make sure that you do not have a serious problem. A chiro will do an xray and look at your structure while a doctor will do an MRI and look at tissues and see what is the real problem.

Just think of a chiro as a physical therapist and not a diagnostician. My case in point. I have 3 herniated disks in my neck. When the pain started I went to a chiro who did manipulations and adjustments and it didn't help and actually worsened the situation. AFTER an MRI from an ortho who specializes in back and necks did I get the correct diagnosis and was able to go from there. After drugs and PT I would see a chiro who did Active Release Therapy, ART, that was nothing more than a deep tissue massage and it worked better with the drugs and PT.

The ortho was amazed that I could do what I do with the injuries. I was explaining to him that I was losing feeling in my thumb and index finger or it would tingle. Which I knew was a result of something pushing on a nerve. I would pop my neck and then my pinky middle and ring finger would have the same problem. He says that this is impossible and that I am making it up. Since I do not take well to people doubted my integrity I got into it with him.

I told him that I know my body there is something wrong with it and I came to you because I was told you were one of the best guys in the area. Now you can either find out what is wrong or I will go to the next guy on the list and have him do his job. An apology came after the MRI when he saw the problems.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 12:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, chiropractic is spectacular at treating certain types of mechanical problems. I've been maybe a half dozen times and each time my symptoms got better by about 80% in one visit. I never had anything more severe than stiffness and ache in neck, hip and back though, and my chiropractor is very good at what she does.

I suggest you might want to visit the chiropractor your BJJ friends praise and avoid the ones they put down, because quality control in American chiropractic is poor. See Coach's post for an example of poor diagnosis. Herniated discs really aren't something you can fix by just prodding the joints around a bit and touching it should be avoided. Also see Kintanon's post for an example of when to run. Once your chiropractor begins suggesting he can cure your HIV, cancer or anything besides general join problems and possibly headache, GTFO.

Resting your back sounds good in theory, but inactivity is actually a real killer when it comes to things like back pain. I suggest staying active within pain limits.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/28/2011 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had some chiro work done, both traditional and "network" which is more based on correcting body alignment through sensitivity and breathing than it is realigning vertebrae manually (at least as I understand it).

Chiro "works" for many, many people, so there is significant empirical evidence (even if it is anecdotal) supporting its benefits..even if the theories behind them are somewhat questionable, IMO. Similar to acupuncture, you can call it quackery but the truth is millions of people report improvements so....something is there.

I think your friend may be on to something with the mattress...sleeping incorrectly is a common cause of back/neck pain. If you train you could have irritated something that then exacerbated when you slept in the wrong position. My wife has this problem...try sleeping one night with a pillow between your knees, and with no pillow under your head.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/28/2011 1:58pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast