Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ulster Budo Kai

Aliveness +1 if you seek out the competitors and go hard during randori.

Somewhat cramped dojo, been there many years. Excellent foam & canvas flooring.

Standard class: bow in, consistent judo-specific warmup (individual body parts, pushups, bridging, pulling motions), movement drills (various ukemi, shrimping & reverse shrimping), newaza randori, (occasionally, newaza technique instruction is practiced, but usually only compliant--then back to rolling), uchikomi then moving nagekomi (or specialized drills & instruction, very detailed explanations of technique, etc), tachiwaza randori, mokuso & bow out.

Classes are 2 hours, with usually a minimum of 20 minutes ground and 20 minutes standing randori. Transitions between the two are rarely practiced, and since the space is moderately cramped, only about half the class can do randori at once.

Competitions approximately 1x/month for those interested. He has trained competitors to place at the state level in judo. If that doesn't count for "full contact fight team" I'll change it.

Friendly, knowledgable, helpful, skilled sempai. Detailed, consistent, effective judo instruction. Instructor is attentive and cares for your development. Recommended.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 1:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think my friend Judo Tom goes there. He seems to like it.

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 1:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purple in BJJ, green in judo, ex-bodybuilder with reddish beard?

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 12:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, forgot: Head instructor Mark Roosa 4th dan Kodokan. I think I said he was 6th dan elsewhere on Bullshido but couldn't edit the post; it was a while back.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 5:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marc Roosa was promoted to 5th dan at the spring promotional tournament.

I should also mention that there is usually at least one BJJ or ex-BJJ guy there who has a judo brown belt and is willing to share some groundwork and roll with catch-and-release leglocks.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 10:24am

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is good to hear. I've been living in Kingston for about 2 years now and never knew there was a judo club. Think i'll check it out

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 7:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
    This is good to hear. I've been living in Kingston for about 2 years now and never knew there was a judo club. Think i'll check it out
    We just moved. Roof caved in at the old place. (Isn't that great? We judo'd the building.) We're now at 59 O'Neill Street, directly across from the rear parking lot of Boice's Dairy, about two blocks from Broadway (if you pass the cows and the pig, you missed it). Second floor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 7:26pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know I am trying to work out swaps at work so hopefully after August 22 i'll be able to train again. I am really interested in Judo mainly due to the takedowns and throws. My job requires me to physically restrain hostile individuals and any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 8:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have multiple black belt corrections/LEOs/ex-military so you'll fit right in in terms of restraining people.

Monday 7:30 and Thursday 8:30 are adult classes. Wednesdays at 7pm alternate between kata and competition classes. Kids are Tuesdays, Thursdays at 6:30, Saturday at 9am.