Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 10:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    Karate is a pretty generic term, and is typically used to describe any Japanese striking art, I would say there are literally thousands of styles and schools.
    On the money Punisher. It's much easier to trace back lineages to a handful of styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 10:21pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by albert
    Is Seidokai kan a full contact karate style? I looked it up but can't find much information. I get a lot of hits regarding K-1 and Musashi.
    In Seidokai kan, we have two sparring styles to choose from.

If you spar in the karate style, you have to wear some of those foam dipped gloves and kicking is from the legs to the head, but punching is only allowed to the body. There are three two-minute rounds. The matches are based on point accumulation or on damage (i.e. KO). By the way, the black belts don't wear any gloves.

The other style is kickboxing (K-1 style). Participants have to wear 14-16oz gloves, headgear and shin pads. Kicks are from the legs to the head. Punches are allowed to the head and the body. You can also clinch for 5 seconds and knee your opponent. There are 3 2-minute rounds.

Both styles encourage full-power blows. I have seen some people get knocked out from head kicks in the karate-style sparring events.

As far as finding information about this style on the net, I think it may be pretty hard to, unless you can read Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 10:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So depending on the school, one style is practiced over another? Or are both styles practiced?

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 5:05am

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seido is cool. I am a big fan of their kickboxing style added to the full contact karate style. They came from Kyokushin.

There is one totally lame thing though and that is wearing gloves in the full contact karate sparring. There are no head punches specifically so you don't have to wear gloves. That makes body punching so much fun! I don't know why they only let the black belts punch bare knuckle to the body. A broken rib or two helps the lower ranks learn!
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Albert: It depends on what the individual wants. You can either focus on kickboxing or karate, but everyone learns karate. The only difference is when we do drills or spar in class. The people who want to learn karate, focus on low kicks and body punch combinations, while the people interested in kickboxing focus more on head-body punch-kick combinations. You should check it out if you're ever in Japan.

GajusCaesar: I hear you man. I didn't really like the fact that you had to wear gloves when sparring, but I think it changes after you get your shodan. I saw some black belts sparring in a tournament and they weren't wearing any gloves. To tell you honestly, I was going to take Kyokushin instead of Seidokai kan, but I changed my mind because Kyokushin doesn't allow head punches.

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 9:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean "offically" recognised schools of karate?
    In Japan or Okinawa?
    The main ones or the off-shots too?

Chemist

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice Yoshukai which is a Japanese style and was started by Kazuoh Yamamoto in the 60's. He was a student of Dr. Chitose (Chitose-ryu)
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ippatsu182:

How much, if any kata, do you do?
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 10:23am

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just to throw another pointless defence to the wind...

the shotokan i used to do, all the sparring was with a gumshield and a prayer
    (and if you were slow enough to getr booted in the head..it hurt)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I have to do one kata for my 4th kyu test, which is this weekend. We don't spend much time on kata at all. We do practice combinations though, which are found in some of the katas we do. For example (roundhouse low kick, jab, straight, roundhouse high kick), (jab, straight, knee). Most of our katas are sparring oriented. Ofcourse I'm pretty much a beginner.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast