Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 5:35pm

Style: Judo/wrestling/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate question

I was having a conversation with one of my Judo buddies the other day about some karate styles, he had kyokushin in Japan, but after taling to him, i was wondering exacly how many styles there are?

He told me there were the non-contact styles like shotokan and 2 or 3 others and the full contact kyokushin which the splintered after oyama kicked the bucket.

so i was wondering how many distinct schools there actually are...

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate is a pretty generic term, and is typically used to describe any Japanese striking art, I would say there are literally thousands of styles and schools.

I do kenpo, which a lot of people consider a form of karate, even though it doesn't have a whole lot to do with kyokushin and shotokan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 6:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are alot of different Karate styles and within those styles there are many more sub-styles. I would guess there are 20-50 different styles of karate.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard there are 4 "main" styles of Okinawan karate. But I believe Kyokushin is separate from that, because I believe it's considered Japanese, not Okinawan. And then there are lots of offshoots from Kyokushin, and who knows how many "non-main" Okinawan styles..
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no way to number them or even draw clear distinctions between them. There is no formal body that designates what is or is not karate or a separate style. Suffice it to say there are many.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:34pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    grrr

shotokan is not non contact, infact when they/we make contact we do it very hard indeed

it just doent happen that often

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahaha, not very often, as in NEVER! Oh, and making hard contact with boards doesn't count. Remember what Mr. Miyagi said: Boards don't hit back!

Just kidding. I just have to give you **** for defending Shotokan. I know, I know, Kyokushin did partially come from Shotokan. Welcome to Bullshido, N00b.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:53pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well its not gonna be much of a defence as i gave it up last year (after 11 years) and moved onto better things

but having near destroyed one knee in a tournament, when we connected, we did it properly
    (helped if your opponent was blind and stayed in punching distance only)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 9:47pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's kind of ironic is that the karate styles that are popular in the U.S. aren't so popular in Japan (e.g. Shotokan, Shorin-ryu, Goju-ryu, etc). I'd say the three most popular schools over here are Kyokushin, Seidokai kan and Shorinji Kenpo. I could be wrong, but these are what I mostly hear about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 10:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is Seidokai kan a full contact karate style? I looked it up but can't find much information. I get a lot of hits regarding K-1 and Musashi.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast