Sponsored Links Spacer Image

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 5:12pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tapped somebody this past weekend because they crossed their ankles, and they couldn't uncross them when I locked my legs over them. I've also been controlled really well by someone who did cross their ankles. I'd just say you need to be aware of the dangers like a lot of positions.

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 6:15pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Tapped somebody this past weekend because they crossed their ankles, and they couldn't uncross them when I locked my legs over them. I've also been controlled really well by someone who did cross their ankles. I'd just say you need to be aware of the dangers like a lot of positions.
    I've lost count of the number of BJJ blue belts (blue belts!) I've tapped with that stupid ankle lock. It's a dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you're doing. You can get away with it if you're off to the side or up high -- the inflexible/short-legged-man's body triangle.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 7:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or if you have decent hooks. When someone does that, I just snag their legs.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 4:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cross my ankles from back mount but only in hopes they go for the ankle lock, so I can go for the choke.. But I am super careful about doing it... My ankles are usually unlocked with hooks in... Whatever you do make sure to always be aware of the consequences

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 5:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often move my legs up into a body triangle across the stomach. I've never had an issue with the ankle lock with my feet in this position - added bonus that it's hard to escape and you can concentrate on the choke.

I get a lot of taps just from tightening the body triangle (fairly short, strong legs).

It's a bit of a cheap move but you can also get a spine crank with the combo of the body triangle and a choke attempt. Save it for comps - he taps to the spine crank but it looks like you are choking him.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body triangles always end badly for me. Where do you tuck your feet to keep them safe?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanT View Post
    Body triangles always end badly for me. Where do you tuck your feet to keep them safe?
    Assuming my right calf is across his stomach, the right foot is to the side and well above his left hip. The closing of the triangle is right out on his left side. My left foot usually tucks in behind his left hamstring. I've never had an issue with my feet in this position.

Here's a great video where Trumpet Dan breaks down Roger's back take from the guard which includes the body triangle positioning I'm talking about:

YouTube - Guard - L6 - Closed Guard Sitting - Taking Back Details (Roger Gracie breakdown)

His You Tube channel is worth checking out - he may be a purple but he's done a great analysis of Roger's game. His 60 cent seminar on the mounted cross collar choke is gold!

I find that if I get here they mostly end badly for my training partner. How do they end badly for you?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:56pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rule of thumb I use: if the crossing point is above the hips or outside of the legs, it is OK; if the crossing point is below the hips and inside the legs, it is bad.

I play a very mobile back mount game so my feet are constantly posting on the hips, legs, hooking behind the knees, and climbing up their body. I don't think I maintain both hooks in much anymore which, now that I think about it, is very strange.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They step over and hip in.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2011 4:00am

Bullshido Newbie