Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 7:52pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you generate power from Xingyi footwork?

I've been wanting to ask this question for awhile. After I get proficient enough at Western boxing, I want to take up Xingyi. But there's a riddle about it I cannot seem to solve.

I've spent hours pouring through Xingyi forms, and while It is Fake says the footwork is "pretty basic", I just can't wrap my head around it. Here's a few clips for reference:

YouTube - Xing Yi Quan ( Hsing-I, 河北形意拳 ) 5 Elements and Linking form
    YouTube - Xinyidao 4
    YouTube - 崔杰利 形意拳VS散打 xingyiquan combat

Typically, when I throw a strike, I push off the ball of my back foot for power generation. Yet, with Xingyi, I often see people lift their back foot while striking, then shift stances.

The actual strikes themselves look powerful enough. The question is, how does Xingyi footwork generate this power?

Any insight is appreciated.

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Internally.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The power generation doesn't look so esoteric- they're hitting straight while moving the body forward.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's all in the waist... I might be wrong.:iamwithst

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 3:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    The actual strikes themselves look powerful enough.
    This is the key. Find someone who can generate more power with xingyi first, then just ask them.

But yeah, it's probably from a combination of twisting the body and lots of specific conditioning.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 5:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Typically, when I throw a strike, I push off the ball of my back foot for power generation. Yet, with Xingyi, I often see people lift their back foot while striking, then shift stances.

The actual strikes themselves look powerful enough. The question is, how does Xingyi footwork generate this power?

Any insight is appreciated.
    Keeping your back foot on the floor isn't to push through the strike, it's to be able to reset/retreat afterwards. As such, in boxing, taking your back foot off the floor is considered bad technique.

Your power should come from the weight transer as you take a short step forward, as well as the rotation of your core. Your back foot should not be pushing, but able to pivot on the toe.

Quite a few people move their back feet when they strike. Hell, anyone who steps forward to follow up a straight right is doing the same thing.

From what I've seen of xingyi, their power generation is of little difference to boxing (I may be wrong here). But I would recommend you get more experience in boxing before you question power generation any further, as your boxing improves, you'll understand most aspects of striking better.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 2:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, stop sweating Xingyi so much. After you have drilled stiking into your muscle memory through boxing, you won't be able to un-learn how to generate power. You learn a lot quicker in boxing then you would in Xingyi. Watch the body movement and twist at the waste in Xingyi and boxing. There are a lot of similarities.

Don't sweat the foot movement in Xingyi so much. Because in my opinion, foot work in boxing is far superior. What Xingyi does well is generate power while moving forward and closing distance. So you get there quickly and effectively. They also have some cool techniques for striking while moving backward, which I think is one of the few striking arts that does.

But watching 5 element forms on youtube is not going to tell you anything about the art. If you are obsessing about it, just go to a class. Then you can get it out of your system and go back to boxing!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you cardio without the dishonour of aerobics.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 3:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

But watching 5 element forms on youtube is not going to tell you anything about the art.
    Classes.

From what I've seen of xingyi, their power generation is of little difference to boxing (I may be wrong here). But I would recommend you get more experience in boxing before you question power generation any further, as your boxing improves, you'll understand most aspects of striking better.
    It Is Fake on Hsing-I, Xingyi, Hsingyi - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Define footwork because, it must mean something different to me than you guys.

Xingyi has very little footwork when compared to boxing IMO. Then again, the way you two are using footwork, I have no clue what you are referring to.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 3:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, why quote me? I didn't mention footwork.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 3:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    So, why quote me? I didn't mention footwork.
    Neither does the thread I posted

I am agreeing with the two posts and giving a thread. Two people mentioned footwork if you didn't, it obviously wouldn't concern you.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast