My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 11:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I was chatting with my mate about our coaches Okuri ashi barai and how he's quite nice, because he supports us on the way down and doesn't do the contest version of his okuri ashi barai where he uses his hands to slam uke into the ground, because that fucking hurts.
    LOL, yes, it can go any way or in between depending on how hard you want to drop uke.

I threw a sandan when I was an nikyu with a side-stepping Okuri Ashi Barai (in a shiai)
    and landed on him. His eyes bulged out, I actually saw them bulge out, it was like a bad horror flick.

Here's me being nice to a green belt with a footsweep. Go to 2 min 30 sec, as the "start at" feature isn't working.

Last edited by BKR; 7/09/2011 11:52pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad I thought to search this throw on the forum... I've been obsessed with it for a year now because of Igor Kurinnoy and Fedor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 1:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome description gents, this throw has been giving me issues in randori for ages. I have always been trying to do it in a retreating circular manner if that makes sense to you, having another angle to work a throw is always awesome.

Out of curiosity when do you guys show kosoto gari in relation to the other sweeps (e.g. after de ashi barai but before okuri)

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 12:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Awesome description gents, this throw has been giving me issues in randori for ages. I have always been trying to do it in a retreating circular manner if that makes sense to you, having another angle to work a throw is always awesome.

Out of curiosity when do you guys show kosoto gari in relation to the other sweeps (e.g. after de ashi barai but before okuri)
    First off, Kosoto Gari isn't a "sweep", not sure if that's what you imply in your post or not.

I typically don't teach Kosoto Gari until after De Ashi Barai and Okuri Ashi Barai. DAB and KSG seem very similar to most people, so I don't muddy the water. After someone is decent at DAB forwards, backwards, sideways, and in a circle, KSG is pretty easy to pick up.

OAB is difficult to do in randori or shiai to experienced people. DAB is marginally easier.

I tend to focus more on DAB in my teaching, as I see it as having more utility. KSG also has a lot of utility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    First off, Kosoto Gari isn't a "sweep", not sure if that's what you imply in your post or not.
    I was under the impression that it was, thanks for setting me straight. At my school the focus tends to be more on Ouchi Gari, Kouchi Gari, and De Ashi Barai, so any time I get a chance to learn some thing new is very much appreciated.

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 6:27pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff

They're all ashi waza (leg/foot techniques), but Harai/barai = sweep; Kari/Gari = reap; Gake = block/hook. The principles are different, although they can look similar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Res, out of curiosity what would you folks say is the difference between sweep and reap? From what I've read after a quick google search it seems that a reap is done with ukes weight on the reaped foot while in a sweep its done as uke is in the process of weighting the foot, is this correct?

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 10:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression that it was, thanks for setting me straight. At my school the focus tends to be more on Ouchi Gari, Kouchi Gari, and De Ashi Barai, so any time I get a chance to learn some thing new is very much appreciated.
    That would be my usual focus as well, DAB, KOG, and OUG plus Hiza Guruma and/or Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi.

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 10:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Res, out of curiosity what would you folks say is the difference between sweep and reap? From what I've read after a quick google search it seems that a reap is done with ukes weight on the reaped foot while in a sweep its done as uke is in the process of weighting the foot, is this correct?
    That is basically the difference, however, the positioning of the body and throwing action also play a role. Kari waza can be done with the weight in transition as well.

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 7:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like this?

Good luck with that, you're going to struggle to hit that unless you're the boss.

I rarely catch people with Okuri ashi barai, but when I do its always with some form of step to slightly change the angle.

Hmm, haven't really given much thought to this as I don't do much teaching of smaller ashiwaza, tends to be the larger ashiwaza like O soto, Sasae, O uchi etc...

I would probably do Okuri after Ko soto and De ashi, De ashi first.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast