Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 2:08pm

Style: Arnis Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of using the jerk to get the weight up and then focusing on a 4-6 second negative after I've exhausted the muscles in strict presses.
    The Cuban row is another worth while shoulder exercise, as are prone spider raises (simply lay on an incline bench face down and do d-bell raises to the front, out to 45 degrees from the shoulder, out to 90 degrees, out to 45 degrees from the body, and straight arm back along the body). Spider raises are a nice finisher for a hard pressing day.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a good article on the subject.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...oulder_shocker

tl;dr: Ditch the overhead pressing and stick to front and side lateral raises.

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 11:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Here's a good article on the subject.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...oulder_shocker

tl;dr: Ditch the overhead pressing and stick to front and side lateral raises.
    Right on the money. To add to that, any exercise that lifts above the shoulder joint doesn't work the deltoids/traps very much at all. The deltoids are designed to raise/extend the humerus up to 0 degrees [even plain with the shoulder joint], past that the lift requires the use of multiple different muscle groups to get the weight where you want it and nothing is targeted very efficiently [note: this isn't the same as a compound exercise as it uses the muscles in ways they weren't developed for]. You're biceps, triceps, traps, rotator cuff, deltoids and neck flexors all end up struggling in a mishmash of movement to get the weight were you want it, and you won't see a lot of benefit anywhere as a result.

However, if you're really set on those exercises you want to avoid shoulder impingement. You can do this by lifting forward at about a 30 degree angle instead of laterally out to your sides, this moves the humerus in coordination with the grove in your shoulder socket and limits negative contact between your acromion/humerus when doing lifts above the shoulder.

Use your better judgment when doing this. Any exercise you can't effectively/safely adapt should probably be dropped instead of forced. This principle would be good to apply to hand stand push ups and shoulder raises if you're really set on sticking to those exercises, but really, there are better things you can do for your shoulders specifically.

Lateral raises, front raises, reverse flys and all their variations work wonders for shoulder development. Just keep in mind that too much weight coupled with bad technique will put your rotator cuff at serious risk and they account for some of the most numerous and debilitating injuries in athletes, especially fighters.

That being said, look into some rotator cuff exercises as some have mentioned earlier in the thread and work it into your shoulder routine. Many athletes neglect doing this and suffer for it.

Could keep going but I've probably said too much already. Hope that helps. :)
    Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2011 2:31am

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I overhead barbell press and supplement with resistance bands... works good for me, and I tore my labrum last year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2011 5:43pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bent-over rows where the elbows come out, to higher up on the body. Transverse extension works muscles like the posterior deltoid, infraspinatus and teres minor. They're external rotators and will help to balance out the strength in the anterior deltoid from stuff like military pressing.

You also work upper back scapular adductors like the traps/rhomboids. Holding a weight bent-over will build isometric strength in the lower back/erector spinae and in the hip extensors (glutes, hamstrings). This can actually be so intense that it can distract from hitting the rear shoulder/upper back muscles for guys like me with a weak lower posterior chain (I should deadlift and carry heavy stuff around more) so that's the benefit to stuff like inverted rows or using pulleys since there's less lower back stress for a given amount of resistance.

As for the medial deltoid, I guess lateral raises, maybe with bent elbows or slight forward lean so there are cues to avoid the front taking over.

As for combat specificity: I imagine shoudler strength is helpful if some guy is pinning your arms to your sides, there.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 4:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important exercise you or anyone else can do for your shoulders is the extremely low weight rear delt fly to increase the strength of you rotator cuff... the amount of weight used is extremely important amd should be an almost ridiculously low weight... every shoulder and chest day should start with this motion before any real weight is moved... this will warm your rear delt and assist in encapsulating your shoulder socket while your other exercises are being performed. Beyond that doing side and lateral raises with moderate weight for reps will assist you more in shoulder growth than any presses... because they focus your delts as the primary muscle being trained and the energy is not being placed on your triceps as much as they are in a press motion.
    Last edited by rustyflexx; 3/10/2011 4:42pm at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 5:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what would all you low post wonders recommend if I want to get better at LIFTING **** OVER MY HEAD?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Increase core strength, the best thing for this is compound lifts like a light to moderate weight clean and jerk, or a floor to vertical cowbell lift in one motion. low weight arnold presses have shown to be some of the best for building your over head strength with the least amount of wear and tear and the develop some nice shoulders to boot. Never do a weight overhead with more weight than you can complete the total lift on atleast 8 to 10 reps.
    Last edited by rustyflexx; 3/10/2011 5:48pm at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 5:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You fuckers are all getting on my nerves. Post links to these damn exercises instead of acting like every jackass to ever pick up a weight knows what they are.
    I'm doing it for you this time.

Arnold Press
    Rear Lateral Fly (? Exrx had no idea WTF you were talking about)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good thing you had a spare nerve for me to stand on !!!! I am just learning this page and I will do better sir... bear with me...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast