1/19/2011 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Medieval Fight Book" on NatGeo

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...w#tab-Overview

Talhoffer meets edutainment:

Violent, secretive, and packed full of knowledge, Medieval Fight Book uncovers the real story of Europe in the Middle Ages. Using accurate historical recreations, amazing CGI and leading historians we reveal the surprising detail that proves medieval society was far more sophisticated and peculiar than we realize. Hidden in a dusty library, this obscure and strange manuscript has the power to unlock lost secrets from a medieval world. Contained within the beautifully illustrated 150 paper folios is unique imagery of bloody but highly sophisticated combat, weird futuristic designs and inventions, ingenious engineering and judicial duels. Hans Talhoffers 1459 fightbook is one of the medieval worlds most mysterious manuscripts, challenging the legends and myths that surrounded this often misunderstood period of our history.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 6:20pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like it might be interesting. I'll probally watch it but I hope it leans less towards the special effects and more towards being historically accurate.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    It looks like it might be interesting. I'll probally watch it but I hope it leans less towards the special effects and more towards being historically accurate.
    http://www.historicalfencing.com/Tal...Book-Blog.html

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 8:58pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They had me at Bettany Hughes...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2011 9:39am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am always excited about these sort of programs and end up disappointed in the end.

I hope that this will be better because it's NatGeo.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2011 1:15pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed this on a couple different levels, though I am disappointed a bit as well.

Dislike: Edited out all of the messer and shield combat. Too much on focus on ZOMG WEIRD MANUSCRIPT YO and LOLOLO WATER FROG SUIT for my tastes. More emphasis on the martial traditions would have been nice.

Like: The combat scenes and the dispelling of the myth that armor was too heavy to be used well. I never, never thought that I'd see that wive vs husband duel in real life when I read the manuscript the first time. It is almost shocking to see some of the things from the manuscript in real life. Of course the MORDSCHLAG being used was amazing too.

Posted On:
    2/02/2011 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: European Sword Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've yet to see it, but I've heard that there's a lot more footage of fighting and stuff that they left out. If you want to see more, I definitely recommend sending the producers an email asking them to put out another episode 'cause they've definitely got enough footage for at least a few more.

You can reach them at:
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/contact