Posted On:
    1/18/2011 5:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recovering after injuries

Hi,
    I was training in boxing about 20hours a week, 2 times per day untill I injured my groin. After I injured my shoulder and saw a sport doctor. He said I have to stop sport completely during 2 months, and then go through rehabilitation. I know when I'll restart boxing, I'll be far far away from what I was before. So I wanted to know if some people here have been through the same situation and if so share your experience . How is it to restart when you've been stopped for a really long time?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All sports completlely? At least you should be doing therapy for the injuries and lifting and doing some stuff. When my shoulder was fucked up I tucked my arm into my gi to remind me not to use it and did everything else, for example.

How long have you been training? Two months as break is not a "really long time."

It took me a couple months to get timing and distancing back. Strength maybe longer depending on injuries. Some don't really ever get all the way back, like hamstring or back.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 1/18/2011 6:23pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    All sports completlely? At least you should be doing therapy for the injuries and lifting and doing some stuff. When my shoulder was fucked up I tucked my arm into my gi to remind me not to use it and did everything else, for example.

How long have you been training? Two months as break is not a "really long time."

It took me a couple months to get timing and distancing back. Strength maybe longer depending on injuries. Some don't really ever get all the way back, like hamstring or back.
    The thing is my leg AND my shoulder are injured so I can't do anything. I've been training for about a year and a half.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 4:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua/TaiChi Kung Fu Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let yourself heal and do some very light exercise. If you recover and want to train again, train wisely.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 6:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan03 View Post
    Hi,
    I was training in boxing about 20hours a week, 2 times per day untill I injured my groin. After I injured my shoulder and saw a sport doctor. He said I have to stop sport completely during 2 months, and then go through rehabilitation. I know when I'll restart boxing, I'll be far far away from what I was before. So I wanted to know if some people here have been through the same situation and if so share your experience . How is it to restart when you've been stopped for a really long time?
    Do you work?

20 hours a week for anyone who isn't a professional is a recipe for failure. Train smart in future and you might not get injured as much - I've been there myself.

The biggest issue you'll have is motivation - life without busting your balls all the time and getting punched in the face is pretty easy to get used to. Often, this can be fixed by watching highlight videos like this:

YouTube - Mike Tyson best Knock Outs

Also, don't jump straight back into the training you were doing and expect to be able to doit straight away. Start slow, train smart.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 10:06am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan03 View Post
    How is it to restart when you've been stopped for a really long time?
    It sucks for a little while when you come back after a long break. I have had to stop twice. The first time was a torn MCL (ligament in my leg). My second situation wasn't an injury; it was cancer surgery and treatment.

Each time, coming back after a long break I felt slow, weak, and my feet seemed to be moving in mud. I was out of shape and out of practice. I took the early weeks to re-focus on my fundamentals and got back in shape pretty quickly after my cancer episode. I was back up to par in 6 or 8 weeks.

For the MCL injury I went back too fast and kept re-injuring myself slightly which delayed my overall recovery by more than a month. Stupid idea.

You'll be just fine - let your injury heal and don't go back to hard training too soon. Good luck.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln