Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 12:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody hates on that fight, but I think differently.

I think it fucking rocks.

And here's why:
    1) It really happened! Unlike everyody else's 'my sifu' stories, eh?
    2) It was the last time some major drama was settled, in public, with REAL KUNG FU!!! tm
    3) that braggadocious geezer totally had it coming. in fact he was literally *asking* for it.
    4) it deflates SOOOO much kung fu mania. the duel of the two masters basically degraded into sloppy MMA, and was settled with GNP when Emin got Cheung down and spazzed out.
    5) GONG SAU!

shitty technique aside, this site should have a link to that footage on the front page.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 5:14am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabogganwheel
    Well, I couldn't tell much form the video at all, except see an occasional leg flailing around.

As for good instructors, yeah, that is the hard part... You should try different schools and instructors, and you should be able to tell if someone is telling you bs or giving genuinely good information. Ask lots of "why"s and let them back up what they're saying by proving that it works. As a general rule, I'd say if what they're teaching is practical and makes sense, then it's probably decent. Don't get sucked in by the mystical crap unless they can prove it works.
    DON'T go to a Wing Chun chain organisation -- i.e. a place with many dojos run from a headquarters... they are all McDojos out to make a buck at your expense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 6:00am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    DON'T go to a Wing Chun chain organisation -- i.e. a place with many dojos run from a headquarters... they are all McDojos out to make a buck at your expense.
    I thought that was a given...

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    Yes, go to a garage or a backyard and train with someone with no connections and no experience, who can not even afford to take anymore lessons. And try to get it all for free..... :eusa_danc

Just judge the individual and not the drama....some chains good, some chains bad.....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 9:02pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Yes, go to a garage or a backyard and train with someone with no connections and no experience, who can not even afford to take anymore lessons. And try to get it all for free..... :eusa_danc

Just judge the individual and not the drama....some chains good, some chains bad.....
    This is why I'm saying dont go to a chain --- people think that a club in a chain will be good because of the chain its in. Most chains are involved in the process of expansion, in fact they make more money by expanding than actually running a club. So they push people to start up their own clubs even though they don't really have the experience to do so.

But regardless, judging clubs by the chain/organisation they are in is only possible if they have real standards, and probably competition. Otherwise it all falls apart, and becomes an MA AmWay.

So yes, judge the individual and not the chain.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, I just think that some instructors in chains are pretty good, and to just never even go see is tempting wasting a good opertunity.

Most of us quit a crap style before we found a good one. So at the least it gives a reference point.

Myself, I am a licensed Instr, for the rapidly expanding EBMAS organization. I teach out of my Garage... :5shocking so I got it both angles covered :glasses1:

I would love to get a few more students and open a real store front again, to host seminars from real Si-fu's and other Martial arts, throwdowns, and maybe give the homeless a place to sleep when it is freezing outside. Expanding is not always a bad thing.....
    Last edited by Dr._Tzun_Tzu; 12/15/2005 9:34pm at .

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Everybody hates on that fight, but I think differently.

I think it fucking rocks.

And here's why:
    1) It really happened! Unlike everyody else's 'my sifu' stories, eh?
    2) It was the last time some major drama was settled, in public, with REAL KUNG FU!!! tm
    3) that braggadocious geezer totally had it coming. in fact he was literally *asking* for it.
    4) it deflates SOOOO much kung fu mania. the duel of the two masters basically degraded into sloppy MMA, and was settled with GNP when Emin got Cheung down and spazzed out.
    5) GONG SAU!

shitty technique aside, this site should have a link to that footage on the front page.
    You know, I agree. I fail to see how anyone can take William Cheung seriously after that clip. Considering that Cheung is still peddling his bull, I think that clip should be made available for all to see.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112