Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 1:17am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What's the point then? "

Sarcasm towards a complete assumption that was made..

"hen why sell it in the first place? Give away hundreds of DVDs instead of forcing folks to buy the material"

In case you havent heard, us Military Folks dont exactly get wealthy defending the country. I cant afford to spend time making and giving away hundreds of DVDs. Additionally I have to justify my time with some compensation, and people who pay for something usually dont take it for granted . Something called "percieved value" comes into play.

G

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 1:22am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "how did you know the thread was ressurected again? do you routinely check bullshido?

just wondering"

I rarely check bullshido, my website generates reports that tell me where every hit comes from, what IP, site...how many etc.. I saw a bunch from here recently....

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    In case you havent heard, us Military Folks dont exactly get wealthy defending the country.
    This isn't news to me, I'm very aware of this from first hand experience.

I cant afford to spend time making and giving away hundreds of DVDs. Additionally I have to justify my time with some compensation, and people who pay for something usually dont take it for granted . Something called "percieved value" comes into play.
    You're doing it for money. If you have to charge someone to be compensated for your time and expense, you're in it for the money. Just be honest about it, don't give us this bravo sierra about doing it for altruistic reasons.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RE"You're doing it for money. If you have to charge someone to be compensated for your time and expense, you're in it for the money. Just be honest about it, don't give us this bravo sierra about doing it for altruistic reasons"

Fair enough, I guess I should re-phrase.... im not in it for alot of money, or ...im not in it ONLY for mony. The money alone isnt good enough to make it work my time, altruistic reasons have to be there to some degree.

I also head up a self-defense program/rape prevention program on the base completely free of charge, so I suppose there I could be safe to say im not doing it for the the money.

G

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 2:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Missed a question...

RE:"Otherwise i was interested in asking,I did some Aikikai Akido for a while and Yang style Tai Chi as well and so doesnt it take really long to become good enough in your fluid dynamic movement type of combat untill you can use it on the street?"

The problem with Traditional Taiji classes (and probably Aikido classes from what I gather second hand ) is that their traning methods are partially to blame for the timeline/learning curve. In fact I would also add that most Taiji instructors dont have a clue about the Martial side of Taiji, and are just doing a health dance.

If they do happen to know and practice martial applications, chances are they dont spar with any realism, or even know the meaning of AST (adrenal stress training). Many spend so much time on forms, they forget the fighting. Many are brainwahed into thinking learning a form and some rehearsed two man drills and push hands will teach them to fight.

This problem isnt only in Taiji im sure, but its more likely given the crowd who may be attracked to an "Internal art" and something "Qi" related. Many people are suprised to find I dont believe in Qi at all. The above problems are so widespread in Taijiquan I got fed up belonging to the art. So I decided to do my own thing and call it something else since im not doing a "pure art" anymore. You could say Flowing Combat is my personal Mixed Martial Art that will evolve with me.

"Because from personal experience I know that fluid dynamic movement can be devastatingly effective but it also takes a long time too learn."

It does take longer to be more fluid, and maintain good body mechanics so your not just quick, soft, and weak. The soonest I would say ive seen someone get the mechanics down to where I would call it decent-good is at the 2 year mark. You can spend 30+ years refining your movement, and I dont mean learning fancy movment, just simple things with more power/fluidity. I should add that no method should have to be done perfectly to work. Fighting is spontaneous and dynamic, you have to change on the fly and have flexable tactics. Not having fully refined body mechanics shouldnt stop you from developing your fighting skills, it will come together and improve over time.

More of what Ive seen with my students time-wise: I have had guys use Taiji principles and moves in a real fight successfully after 3 months of training. The trick is not overwhelming people with form, and showing them a few movements and training them in context with the reality of pressure/suprise factors. In training Ive also had guys stopping/countering full speed jabs to their face in one session with Taiji, im not exactly slow either (being a drummer I can give anyone a run for their money in the speed department)

Anyhow, I hope my ramblings answered your question, and gave you some insight. I usually ask people about their training goals/timeline and make a reccomendation .Based on their answers I have sent people elsewhere, for example people who want really quick fighting skill to the local Muay Thai/BJJ school, +for people who want to train 1 year or less I also often reccomend things like Silat, Kali, Krav Maga, JKD, and Boxing..

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 8:26am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, most of the Taiji guys I've known have been rather incompitent in a fight, so I'm willing to admit that my opinion of what I see on the demos might not be objective. But, I'm sorry, I'm just not sold on the movements I see being effective. It seems counter to every kind of takedown I've done in randori. However, Gary's posts all seem to indicate knowing what he's talking about.

But, since my understanding of the mechanics of taiji are pretty base I might just not know what to look for. I'm on the other side of the country right now, but I'd be really interested to see a report by an objective bullshidoka taking a lesson with Gary.

Posted On:
    4/19/2005 4:33am

Style: arab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lampa have you seen the Repulsive Monkey vs mma Shuma-Gorath fight? Repulsive monkey fought just as good if not better than his mma counterpart. Hey Gary, it would be cool if you went to a bullshido throwdown and did what the systema people (and hopefully wing chun soon) did when their art was bashed.

Posted On:
    4/19/2005 5:38am

Style: arab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    people like to take their personal experience, and label it flat out truth. Get into pointless lineage battles, get into "his elbow is two centimeters too low for that move to work" battles, and all kinds of poppy****. But that's old news.

Posted On:
    4/19/2005 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PureJihad
    Lampa have you seen the Repulsive Monkey vs mma Shuma-Gorath fight? Repulsive monkey fought just as good if not better than his mma counterpart.
    Except I don't do MMA. That was my first match of that nature even in a sparring context. That, and RM had three times my experience level and I still won.

Hey Gary, it would be cool if you went to a bullshido throwdown and did what the systema people (and hopefully wing chun soon) did when their art was bashed.
    This will not work since THE REAL wing chun is incapable of being captured on film or hosting a school that is easier to find than the Ark of the Covenant.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    4/20/2005 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    "But the details didn't look like they'd let it work. I don't see how you can slip a flurry of punches with your hands that far away from you."

I dont remeber doing a demo slipping a flurry of punches from a distance? Perhaps its the closing methods you were seeing?
    There was a clip where you stood toe-to-toe with someone after slipping a punch (a hook or just a big swing punch)and then waited for them to swing at you again before parrying and counter striking with your palm.

It just didn't look like you could do it fast enough.
    I'll try and find the clip for you at the weekend if necessary..

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast