Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't get the vids to play. But all the same, very flash website.

But why have the Japanese Tori gate on a website seemingly about Chinese martial arts??? -unless I'm making to many assumptions.....
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

aahhh...the colors

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm embarrased to say I bought one of his DVDs, only because he's 2 hours away from me in Oklahoma City. It's pretty gay.
    Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that kickboxing is commonly known as fighting while grappling simply isn't. - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:39pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the vids on his site were pretty good. I have some Xingyi training under my belt and I saw a lot of familiar principles, mostly in the stepping. I think a lot of you guys are underestimating the effectiveness of techniques from the "internal" arts; most of the stuff I saw there looked like it would work pretty well, based on my background. For those strategies, the hands should not be as close as boxers, but should be a little over half-way extended (as he explained in the video). It's all about flowing and issuing force properly. I say well done, Gary.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    I think a lot of you guys are underestimating the effectiveness of techniques
    with good reason. did u see the telekenetic tai chi master clip posted a couple weeks ago?

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 9:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the very constructive critisism regarding my new site and demo.....(insert sarcasm here)

Ok, so I deserve it for the cheezy lighting, and of course the audio overdubbing was cheese mixed with hype, but im reworking it....
    Hasn't changed much...

He didnt think I looked like much
    You don't.

8. I freely admit I lack the skill to teach ALL ranges of fighting, particulary groundfighting, I have some basic skills I have learned to save my own butt, however I suggest students seek qualified instruction elsewhere in that area.
    Gary
    I was about to say, you wouldn't last 30 seconds against a decent grappler.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 11:46pm

Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was this website with an article about xing yi quan, can't remember the url, but it said something along the lines of... "if you want to beat a man like rickson gracie, you need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan." Which is about when I stopped reading it.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 1:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brolli
    there was this website with an article about xing yi quan, can't remember the url, but it said something along the lines of... "if you want to beat a man like rickson gracie, you need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan." Which is about when I stopped reading it.
    I was about to say, "Come on, you're pulling my leg." But ->

At the other hand, Gong Fu fighters are not so good standing and are also not so good on the ground. Some might even argue that " I train only Gong Fu and I still don't feel safe! ". Well my friend, the question is: what kind of Gong Fu are you training? If it is the " kick boxing " kind of Gong Fu, you will never feel safe anyway. For this is only sport. Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 5:33am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    I thought the vids on his site were pretty good. I have some Xingyi training under my belt and I saw a lot of familiar principles, mostly in the stepping. I think a lot of you guys are underestimating the effectiveness of techniques from the "internal" arts; most of the stuff I saw there looked like it would work pretty well, based on my background. For those strategies, the hands should not be as close as boxers, but should be a little over half-way extended (as he explained in the video). It's all about flowing and issuing force properly. I say well done, Gary.
    Really? You think you can stand toe-to-toe with some one and swat punches out the air?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 5:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kungfoolss, what is your avatar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 6:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    The fundemental problem I had with his stuff is the wrong person was wearing the helmet.
    Most of the principles behind what he was doing were fine~ coming inside, slipping punches and countering great. Moving outside and then coming back in at a bad angle of the other guy, again go for it.

But the details didn't look like they'd let it work. I don't see how you can slip a flurry of punches with your hands that far away from you. All his movements looked too artificial and stylised to work, and I dont see how thats going to go away unless the attacker comes in and realy tries to nail him(at least once in a while).
    Yeah, but these were demo vids - just to show the techniques and principles. When you learn arm bars, you don't initially learn them against resistance. That comes later. I also suspect that, when asked to show a novice a submission, they don't show it while rolling with the guy. They probably go, "ok. This is what it looks like" and slap it on. Resistance will come later, but not when you are demonstrating the technique. Does that mean that the sub you just showed sucks because your opponent didn't resist it? No.

Gary said his school includes resistant training and sparring. I definitely think that showing some good sparring - *using those techniques* - would have helped greatly. Something like "This is my tech. This is my tech in action." That would have been good. Also, I specified "using those techniques", because I have seen too many sparring vids of "fancy styles" that just look like boxing when the **** hits the fan. Might as well just train boxing, in that case.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast