Administrator

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 12:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    I used to be able to do a reversed flying scissors!
    HA!
    That's because you're dyslexic.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    A guy from Hilo named Henry was Japanese?
    You're fucking with me right?

Seishiro Okazaki was born in Fukushima then moved to Hawaii and took the American name "Henry" just like a lot of Asian's do. Hell I work with a Chinese girl now who picked AGNESS as her American name. I tease her about it often.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 3:42pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    ok so basically jjj don't spare? how do they make it work if they don't spare? none of my techniques work before I spare.
    Some places do spar, and then tend to find that most of what they learn doesn't work, but then practice it anyway. There tends to be a certain amount of cognitive dissonance involved.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    question about jjj compared to bjj.. what is the difference?
    In my Koryu JJ classes we would warm up by doing rotational exercises and a few flowing drills. Some ukemi but nothing that really got the heart pumping. A few times we would have a "hard" training and get a light coat of sweat but for the most part you probably won't break a sweat unless that was the only physical activity you did. Then we would drill techniques through KATA*. So if were were doing something like KOSHI GAESHI we would partner up and got through the technique with no resistance form our partner. That was usually the whole class. Very very few times we would actually try to apply techniques against each other with resistance. We never did real all out sparring more time was spent on perfecting the technique and making it look crisp and clean.

In my Gendai JJ and WJJ schools warm ups were more rigorous and we would drill techniques with increasing resistance. We would spar but mostly just grappling.

Duetches JJ (German JJ) we had a rigorus warm up much like Judo. We drilled and sparred. Since my school in Bad Krueznach did sport JJ competitions we would spar with strikes standing and grappling once someone achieved the clinch.

BJJ very vigorous work out. Drill techniques. Lots of rolling (sparring). Since most the BJJ schools I've been to have people fighting MMA we did a lot of MMA sparring. Where I teach now I keep things very self defense centric because most the people in my class are more worried about self defense than competition because of their jobs. We do a lot of rolling with strikes and we do a "Fun Day" every month where we go all out with our SD skills including weapons (sticks, bricks, shock knives, etc) and multiple opponents which I use to illustrate that when people talk about their art dealing with multiple opponents they really don't address it properly.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post

Duetches JJ (German JJ) we had a rigorus warm up much like Judo. We drilled and sparred. Since my school in Bad Krueznach did sport JJ competitions we would spar with strikes standing and grappling once someone achieved the clinch.

This

If you're JJJ competes in SJJ it's probably not going to stink

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 7:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    That's because you're dyslexic.
    Stop picking on me!!!
    I'm not lysdectic!
    frothermucker!!!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 7:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    You're fucking with me right?

Seishiro Okazaki was born in Fukushima then moved to Hawaii and took the American name "Henry" just like a lot of Asian's do. Hell I work with a Chinese girl now who picked AGNESS as her American name. I tease her about it often.
    The funny thing is, in another 2 decades we westeners will be taking up chinese names.
    I want Mei Mei.

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 7:41am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My name is already 'cigarette' in Chinese, I'm covered as long as India doesn't get its act together.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 8:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    My name is already 'cigarette' in Chinese, I'm covered as long as India doesn't get its act together.
    After living in India im quite confident when I say: India wont get its act together anytime soon.
    Maybe 2070ish or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 3:44pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow you guys have been really helpful! I just got a new job and have been working my butt off and remember my thread, looked at it and it has come to 5 pages (5 more than i expected)! Anyway ide like to update you guys.

I met up with an MMA friend of mine, he convinced me to learn BJJ and now i may be going to MNKali (MnKali.com) to learn because of distance/funds/etc... I would like to cross train in something a bit more traditional like some type of CMA but i cant find any good ones around my region or in MN for that matter... so if all else fails it will be Muay Thai.

Sorry for putting it in the wrong thread btw!

Spran
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345