Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

looking for school in Northern Va

I'm been doing lots of research online after visiting a couple schools, and I'm looking for experience. I want to join a place wear I can really spar with kickboxing and jujitsu, and I also want to learn Arnis and Kali

I've checked out Arnis DC (arnisdc.com) and went for a trial lesson. I was the only one who showed up, so it was a private lesson, and he seemed to know his kali, but the room was smaller than my bedroom, and if more people were there, it would have been really tight. Also, while the stick fighting stuff was really fun, he pulled out a rubber gun and we started to do "self defense" stuff, and it was clear he had never fired a gun before, so I lost a lot of faith there. While he offered to teach jujitsu, there was definitely zero room to ever roll around, so I kept looking.

I also checked out Lloyd Irvin's place in Balston, VA (novamaa.com) . The location is actually the most realistic for me to get to multiple times a week, and they seem to train real fighters there, but again the place is super crowded. (50+ people close to shoulder to shoulder) I only did the kick boxing class, which was an amazing work out, and the teacher was very respectable, but in the end it was pretty much cardio kickboxing with no apparent hope of actual sparring down the road. Also, I noticed that they dominate the web with their search engine optimization (not a bad thing, maybe their just smart business people) but they have lots of adds about getting a black belt fast, which made me wonder.

Tonight I'm going to try to check out Mikido (mikido.com) in Baily's crossroads if I can get in for a test run. From their site, it looks like they can teach Kali, Arnis, Grappling and Kickboxing, but more will be revealed.

Does anyone have experience with any of these places? I once wasted 2 years learning kung fu from a faker, and I do not want to go through that again.

Thanks for any help

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in NOVa and I would be happy to give you a hand finding a place. I have seen or been in contact with the vast majority of FMA schools in the area and have a pretty decent idea who's who around the DC Metro. You are in luck in terms of BJJ as there are a ton of good places. You have Dalla, Irvin, and Pedro Sauer all teaching in the area and there are a ton of other good places with Black Belts who are either under them or from other reputable sources.

There is also a decent amount of FMA in the region depending on what you are looking for. I know Guro Ed from the school you visited and his Arnis is very good but I can't speak for the rest of his program.

I tried to PM you and share my e-mail or phone # but your account is not accepting PM.s for whatever reason. Let me know if you would like to get in contact and I will be happy to help out.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 2/01/2010 10:41am at .

Style
    ^_^
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I head the BJJ program at DC Arnis. I pretty much only see the tail ends of the Arnis classes but i've never seen one with less than three people. Did you come during the snowstorm we've been having? As for space, since it was only you he was probably using the smaller space, but most of the Arnis classes take place in the much larger space to the left of where you walk in, past the changing rooms.

Regardless, DC Arnis charges 80$ a month for unlimited Arnis and BJJ which is pretty damn good. The other two schools you mentioned are also good though.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Hedgehogey and Jwinch. I really appreciate jwinch reaching out and spending some time on the phone with me as well. After learning a lot more about Arnis DC, I am definitely going to go back there, probably tonight if I can move my schedule around a little.

I went to Irvin's last night, and it was great, but your right Hedgehogey, it's actually double the price of Arnis DC. To reiterate what I said above, after talking to jwinch, I am sure that I was wrong with my first impression, and I regret that my original post may have shed negative light on a great opportunity to learn Arnis from a top notch guy. I guess that my perception was off because of the irregular small space, and I was alone.

I just wanted to get that in writing, because I know a lot of times these forums are the only place some people can find any info, and I wouldn't want someone to be misinformed.

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed our conversation last night as well. I think you will enjoy the training you get with Guro Ed and while I do not know Hedgehogey, I can't imagine Guro Ed bringing in someone who was not very good so I am sure you will be happy with the BJJ training there as well. If I lived closer to the location, I would certainly be there. That price for 6 hours a week of quality FMA and then add BJJ on top of it is something that is very rare in northern VA to be sure.

Good luck in the training and I will hopefully see you at the occasional joint training session or seminar.

Cheers,

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good man! Well done for coming back to self-edit. Hope you find what you're looking for. The NOVA and DC Bullies have a good rep around here.

Style
    SanDa, MT, Escrima
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can make it out to MD, I'd recommend Ultimate Eskrima for FMA. They don't have a fancy website, but the phone number works. The instructor's are pinoys who grew up in Cebu, the heart of eskrima and have been training since childhood. They also don't go by "Guro" but rather by "Kuya." They offer serious training although classes can be unstructured. Real deal stuff though man, I'd check it out

Style
    runfu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is kind of old but I am going to resurrect it.

Does anyone know anything about Vanguard Gym out in Manassas? I took a class there and I liked the instructor's teaching style but I could use more informed opinions.

Also, are any places in town known for teaching combatives or more "real world" types of fighting? I am mainly interested in self-defense, sparring, and having fun. And who offers the best bag for the buck if you are mainly interested in learning striking and BJJ?

Style
    ^_^
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Combatives' is for Dale Gribble types. Obviously I think we provide a good value for BJJ at arnisdc but there's plenty of good academies in the area, we're not ohio.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who offers the best bag for the buck if you are mainly interested in learning striking and BJJ?
    i suppose i'd challenge anyone around here to beat the bang for the buck of my free karate (with a large fraction of bjj) class, though it might not be exactly what you're looking for, especially if what you're looking for is manassas, rather than fairfax. but it is punching, kicking, and choking, and it is free (with gear sold at wholesale). putting up with me is a pretty significant opportunity cost, however.
    Last edited by pauli; 2/25/2010 8:25am at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last