Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 8:51pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my 3 times a week workout usually consists of this routine.

1. benchpress: 5 set pyramid with -10lbs max on the 3rd set.
    2. curls: standard bar curl x 3 sets; military press x 4sets; dumbell curls (if possible)
    3. dips: body dips x 3 sets; triceps press machine between each set of dips.
    4. squats: standard x4; squat press machine between each set
    5. roman chariot: (leg lifts for abs...) x 6 sets; twisting knee lift every other set
    stretch like a mother....
    pyramids are great for power because they can "set" a platform for you to increase your strength.
    i hope this is helpful
    dave
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 8:57pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh and by stretch like a mother i mean really do it. its standard to lose flexibility with power lifting. if you do kungfu or ...well any other martial art this is key. i stretch for 5-10min 3x a day on lifting days (wake up, after lift, before bed). this also helps your muscles heal quicker after workouts and prevent injury..(increased circulation etc)...
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 9:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SAFTA4Life
    Dont ask your instructor about strength building exercises. Many martial arts instructors will give you dumn advice like Hannibals'.
    You obviously know nothing of Chinese strength building exercises. Typical bullshido reply.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
    You obviously know nothing of Chinese strength building exercises. Typical bullshido reply.

If you know so much then give the kid some advice or shut your trap.
    From his post, it sounds like he wants practical weight training advice, not some secrets of the orient bullshit.

Finger or Moon

Deadlifts are a GREAT exercise but are more for back stength and are slightly less intense than Squats.
    However If he wants to substitute deadlifts instead of the barbell rows, that works for me.
    Although my favorite back exercise for martial arts is the power clean.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Less intense ?

Its true they work the back more, and quads less.
    I wouldn't call that a negative.
    I also wouldn't call them a substitute for barbell rows.

Also helps to build a killer grip which can obviously come in handy....
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 10:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
    I'd rather rely on western strength building exercises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 2:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by FingerorMoon?
    Less intense ?

Its true they work the back more, and quads less.
    I wouldn't call that a negative.
    I also wouldn't call them a substitute for barbell rows.

Also helps to build a killer grip which can obviously come in handy....

I advocate both squats and deadlifts but I think both in one workout is asking a lot of your CNS.
    So if I had to pick one, I'd choose Squats for a beginner, or better yet alternate squats one day and deadlifts the next.
    deads are great for grip strength, core stability, back development, as well as hamstring development which is often neglected.
    Anyway, I meant that their were no substitutes for quad development than squats because I know that most people cant hang with them and mistakingly think the leg press is just as good, which it isnt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 3:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by TheHungsta
    I'd rather rely on western strength building exercises.

Bruce Lee was not getting the physical development from gung fu he wanted so he began to look into western techniques for gaining strength and found weight training and roadwork to be the best option.
    40 years later, we still have foolish traditional martial arts guys that believe weight training will make you "muscle bound" or "slow".
    Join the 20th century (or the 21st if youre really feeling bold) and realize that every world class athlete lifts weights and it's only helping their performance.
    boxers, wrestlers, sprinters (are they slow?) Judokas, basketball players, football players, gymnasts, hockey players, MMA fighters, cyclists, swimmers, etc. etc.
    These athletes all have strength and conditioning coaches and for good reason.
    Mr. Mantis, why dont these world class athletes use Kung Fu strenthening techniques if they are so efffective??
    Youre right, I dont know much about Kung Fu strngthening exercies and for good reason. I don't know one world class athlete that attests to their effectiveness and I dont know of one scientific study that proves they are worthwhile. So I dont concern myself with them.
    I'm very Bullshido that way...:D
    Last edited by SAFTA4Life; 3/10/2004 3:05am at .

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 4:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Safta4life. No one here is a proffesional fighter (that I know of) a proffesioanl athlete,or olympic champion.If your a proffessional fighter and make your living fighting in the martial arts o.k you have time for everything.Your training monday to friday 9 -5 because its your job, its how you earm money.

But if your like 95% of the population and have a full time job,study during the day be it at school or university,perhaps do both then you can only train what ? 4 nights a week If that ? Than your time is limited and you can only do do much. And if you trai in martial arts 3 times per week and go running on another evening you may not have time for weights. Doesen't mean they are not useful but I personally don;t have the time nor the inclination to do them. I used to do weights alot, but not anymore. Like I said, I prefer exercises that use your own bodyweight. Its my opinion and I like it.So I do it.

And look at the Shoa Lin monks... These guys break rocks and hard wood by their bare hands and feet. Now they don't use weights and I've yet to know of any world class athlete who can do what they can.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/10/2004 5:32am

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Safta, I would say that lifting weights is very important for developing strength and speed. However, you can go overboard. Admittedly, it doesn't happen often. 99% of people do not and will never get "muscle bound and slow" but it still can happen. Sometimes more muscle isn't better, it's just more. That being said. . .

Hannibal, come on. You are actually impressed by people breaking wood and rocks with their bare hands? It's a fucking party trick! Nothing more. I can do it and I am a relative wuss! I bench 200 on a good day and I can break a one inch thick rock with a knife hand strike. It's not that hard. I can punch through about 6 inches of wood. I can throw an elbow through 2 concrete patio blocks. It didn't take me years of training or developing strength or speed to do this. I just learned the tricks on how to do it and practiced a few times. Now I can impress chicks and gullible people. Wow.

SAFTA is right. All successful MMA fighters, Kyokushin fighters, K1 fighters, and just about any other competitive fighter in any full contact competition lifts weights as opposed to some stupid shaolin monk strength training.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast