Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 2:33am

Style: Choy Li Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength Training for the Martial Arts

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on making a strength training program for myself. My goal is to be lean and powerfull. I am a martial artist of Choy Li Fut Kung Fu, and have been traning for about 1 1/2 years now. I go to Kung Fu about 3-4 times per week. The sessions last for usually about 1-2 hours and include:
    • Form practice
      Kicking and Punching
      Ground Fighting
      Sparring
      Tai Chi
      Combat Techniques

I get a great cardio workout from Kung Fu through sparring and all of the forms practice that i do, but i dont get any real strength training. The only strength training i get is in my legs from holding low stances during class. I weigh about 175 pounds, and am 5'10. I am already a pretty big guy and have a lot of Brute Strength. I am looking to increase some muscle mass, while losing some body fat. I don not want to become "Muscle Bound" and lose speed or flexibility because of muscle gain. I am thinking of a "Bruce Lee" type of physique, geared towards the martial arts, and not just bodybuilding. I don't know whether i should do bodyweight exercises, pushups, pull-ups, situps, sissy squats, etc. Or whether i should use weights. If i do use weights, should they be low weight and high rep, or the other way around. I want to improve my speed and flexibility through strength training and i want to tone my muscles and increase their endurance while adding power to my strikes as well. An example of a goal i have is to be able to preform one legged squats, as i will have to for future forms in my Kung Fu system. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you have time you might even make me a strength training program;) . Thanks for taking the time to help, and train well!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 2:44am

Style: Vaghi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trainforstrength.com

Try workout #1 and come back and tell how you did. For some reason it looks relatively easy for people who think they're in good shape-like myself-but they're just painful. Give them a try, they're completely free so there's no risk.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 3:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think you shouldn't bother with the weights. Just stick to your martial arts and do bodyweight exercises.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 9:43am

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, that workout #1 wasn't really that challenging. Well, my legs did get a pretty good burn, but I can't see myself getting strong on that one. I'll have to try #2 sometime.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 9:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm not going to say it, it's too easy.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask your teacher if he will teach you some strength building exercises.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have groundfighting in your kung fu class? What is it like?

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I came to this thread for the sole purpose of seeing Jenfucious say the line, and got cockblocked.

Originally posted by Hannibal
    Personally I think you shouldn't bother with the weights. Just stick to your martial arts and do bodyweight exercises.
    Shows what you know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL@ "I'm 5'10 175 so I'm a pretty big guy. "
    Thats only big if you are in an asian country or youre a freshman in high school.

Dont ask your instructor about strength building exercises. Many martial arts instructors will give you dumn advice like Hannibals'.

I'll give you a basic routine that will help you get stronger right away. it's easy as ****.

Barbell squats (no you can't substitute with any other exercies.)
    5 sets 5 reps per set. Use good form. try to add a little weight to this lift every 2 weeks. When i say a little I mean 5-10 lbs but only if you are meeting the reps with good form.

Barbell bench press
    5 sets
    5 reps.
    You won't add weight as quick on this lift as the squat. try to add 5 lbs every 2-3 weeks. Of course add more if you can but make sure you are using good form.

Barbell bent row
    5 sets
    5 reps

Same principles as the other lifts

This workout will hit virtually every muscle in your body. Do this routine twice a week. Say Mon and Thurs and watch yourself grow.
    If you are lifting to get stronger then lift to get stronger. That means low reps and progressive resistance.
    Work on being fast on flexible in your Kung Fu class.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/09/2004 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Barbell squats (no you can't substitute with any other exercies.)
    deadlift.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast