Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 9:23am

Style: MMA: (kick)boxing,BJJ,SG

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Requesting some advice on a training schedule

Hi guys. I'm getting back into exercising more intensely this year and building some muscle mass and strength as well as improving my MA skills.

I used to do a kind of circuit training every monday and thursday along with intense kendo (and some Iaido) every wednesday and saturday which definitely did provide me with a good level of fitness and strength but when the dojo fell apart (long story which I will be happy to share with you guys sometime soon) I was left with, well, nothing. I did some JKD for a while, but it was in another city and my country's train network is absolute **** sometimes so I dropped it because it was too much money and effort to keep doing it (work and school are a bitch)

Therefore I have begun drawing up a weekly training schedule to get back into action. Problem is I'm not at all an expert on this stuff (in other words I'm a complete noob) so I was wondering if you guys could help me out here, is this schedule too much? too little? does it need some changes here and there? Or should I just try it out and see how it works out for me?

Any tips are more than welcome:
    Monday

Isometrics

(body)weight training:

biceps, back, core strength

Tuesday

Isometrics

Cardio (rope, heavy bag)
    Wednesday

Isometrics

Krav Maga
    Thursday

Isometrics

(body)weight training:

Legs, triceps, chest

Friday

Isometrics

Cardio (rope, heavy bag)

Systema

Saturday

Isometrics

Rest!!!!
    Sunday

Isometrics

Rest!!!!

Posted On:
    1/20/2011 7:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a complete novice, but am currently doing a subset of Rippetoe's Starting Strength program on the advice of two people who have had success with it. Success is defined in this case as producing substantial, quantifiable strength.

See http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki and http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php

It involves eating a lot while doing the fundamental barbell lifts: squat, bench press, deadlift, power clean and overhead press. I omit the power clean because I don't have the equipment. I bought myself a bar, bench and squat rack, but you could also go to a gym.

The book itself (Starting Strength 2nd edition by Rippetoe & Kilgore) is excellent. Clearly written and wastes no time explaining the hows and whys.

I would recommend joining a solid school--there are plenty of threads on what criteria you should use, but the short answer is to make sure they randori or spar--and starting a lifting program based on Starting Strength.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 5:08am

Style: MMA: (kick)boxing,BJJ,SG

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I am a complete novice, but am currently doing a subset of Rippetoe's Starting Strength program on the advice of two people who have had success with it. Success is defined in this case as producing substantial, quantifiable strength.

See http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki and http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php

It involves eating a lot while doing the fundamental barbell lifts: squat, bench press, deadlift, power clean and overhead press. I omit the power clean because I don't have the equipment. I bought myself a bar, bench and squat rack, but you could also go to a gym.

The book itself (Starting Strength 2nd edition by Rippetoe & Kilgore) is excellent. Clearly written and wastes no time explaining the hows and whys.

I would recommend joining a solid school--there are plenty of threads on what criteria you should use, but the short answer is to make sure they randori or spar--and starting a lifting program based on Starting Strength.
    Thanks for your reply!

I'll definitely take a look at the program you recommended.

As for the schools, I am very happy with them. The krav maga school even has a seperate class aimed specifically at sparring, improving certain skills etc.