Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 11:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    This is a problem seen in many martial arts. It's the reason the Mcdojo was created.
    Mcdojos don't solve the problem though. They just transfer the phenomena to a higher rank.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 12:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post
    Mcdojos don't solve the problem though. They just transfer the phenomena to a higher rank.
    Wow, really? I never thought of that? Gee wizz Mr. Chingythingy, I wish I was smart as you. When I grow up I want to be just as knowledgeable and cool as you. I figure all I need is a castration and a lobotomy.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 12:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem lies with the instructor and curriculum. When you first start, there is a sense of amazement. Over time this fades. This isn't too big a deal, but what disrupts things even more is when the student begins to see how things are put together and can do so himself. This takes the last of the magic from the system. Its the instructors job to periodically restore that sense of wonder.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 12:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanT View Post
    I think the problem lies with the instructor and curriculum. When you first start, there is a sense of amazement. Over time this fades. This isn't too big a deal, but what disrupts things even more is when the student begins to see how things are put together and can do so himself. This takes the last of the magic from the system. Its the instructors job to periodically restore that sense of wonder.
    Your logic is a bit flawed. If what you say is true it should be able to be mirrored in other aspects of life. Not that your point isn't justified just that the logic that got you there is off.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 1:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Entertainment is where the parallels lie. What was once brilliant becomes cliche. What was shocking in the first movie becomes dull in the sixth. When the dialogue is such that the audience groans at one line because the next is so predictable, the film bores. This is what class can feel like after a few years. While the articles focused on those leaving the art, many leave their instructors during the same time period.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 1:55pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or the fact that most people lose interest because the lack of instant gratification. Both possibly the same argument, or the simply that you're not really stabbing at the heart of the problem; people's lack of commitment.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 4:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or the fact that most people lose interest because the lack of instant gratification. Both possibly the same argument, or the simply that you're not really stabbing at the heart of the problem; people's lack of commitment.
    My experience is similar, both personally and with students over the years.

Commitment is a huge part of what separates dilettantes from serious students.

Martial arts/combat sports are not for everyone, of course. Many try them and quit. Those same folks might excel and commit to some other activity.

This assumes a decent program on the part of the teacher.

I have teenage students who have been doing Judo since they were little kids (they did not start with me as a teacher by several years). They are committed, obviously. However, they do not seem willing to take it to the next level physical training outside of Judo, regardless of how much I have explained and admonished them how necessary it is IF they want to be competitive at the next level.

Or even to become shodan.

Ben

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, really? I never thought of that? Gee wizz Mr. Chingythingy, I wish I was smart as you. When I grow up I want to be just as knowledgeable and cool as you. I figure all I need is a castration and a lobotomy.
    Face it. You've already been clipped, and this forum is the closest thing to a lobotomy that one can experience.

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 5:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree the ADHD society we live in is way too geared towards instant gratification. And people don't seem to have the same work ethic their grandparents did.

But if people could somehow learn to just keep showing up they'd be fine.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 5:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post

But if people could somehow learn to just keep showing up they'd be fine.
    Yes and when you do you realize there is more gratification, IMO, in succeeding even when you hit that plateau.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast