--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2011: The Green Hornet

The Green Hornet
    USA, 2011
    Genre: Action, Superhero
    119 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990407/

Seth Rogen stars as the Green Hornet, a masked vigilante who takes to the streets after the untimely death of his father.

In this reboot of the franchise made famous by Bruce Lee, the classic pulp detective has been updated for the modern world. Written by Rogen and close friend Evan Goldberg, the titular character hasnít changed much from his radio drama days, maintaining the ruse of a rival criminal in the underworld while clearing out the streets. The teamís story is simple and predictable, even explicitly using a character within the film to lay out the next plot points. Despite coming in at just under two hours, there was so much the story and characters that was left unexplored, much to the detriment of the finished piece. The dialogue is clunky and stiff at best, with the exception of Rogenís trademark adlibbing, which is sprinkled throughout the movie for better or worse. Still, itís clear that the cast is having fun with the script, milking the lines as much as they can. Christoph Waltzís obsessive villain is hilarious from start to finish, and Rogenís hero is as much of a ridiculous slacker boy as he is in any of his other films. Whether this is your cup of tea or not is up to you. Jay Chou makes his Hollywood debut as Kato, the role first popularized by Bruce Lee in the 60s. Chou and Rogen play off each other well, adding a much more interesting buddy film dynamic to the story that wasnít present in the original incarnations.

Director Michel Gondryís vision of a truly modern superhero adventure does come through, but just barely. The biggest failing of the movie is the inability to maintain a coherent tone through the narrative, hobbled further by the rough editing and the poor transitions between moods. As a result, the energy level bounces up and down between unabashed fun and awkward humor and heavy tension and everything in between. Visually the shots are rather bold and ambitious, with some genuinely impressive moments of filmmaking. However, there is such a reliance on visual effects and cheap editing tricks that it really takes away from the actual cinematography on screen.

The one shining achievement of Gondryís take on this classic hero is that he didnít skimp on the action. Every sequence goes completely all out, with massive explosions, exhilarating car chases, and yet still managing to embrace the levity that makes action films fun to watch. Chouís fight scenes are above average for an American film, although the aforementioned visual effects are completely unnecessary and hamper the experience. Every other aspect of the stunt work, on the other hand, is stunning to behold, and would have improved the film by at least tenfold if the same sense of excitement and abandon carried on through the whole movie. While The Green Hornet is definitely worth watching, I canít help but feel like it could have been so much more.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...-green-hornet/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 11:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it kind of sucked. It could have been a good action/adventure, instead of a mildly entertaining Seth Rogan flick. The guy really isn't that funny, really isn't that talented, and doesn't belong in an action flick. I was disappointed.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My five 1/2 year old wants to see it. Is there anything in it that would be inappropriate for him? He is more interested in action movies than crap like Yogi Bear (thank God).

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 6:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on what you let your kid see. For some reason, I thought GH&K didn't kill. There are quite a few deaths, no real blood, that surprised me. You do get locker room humor and a girl in a Bra.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    My five 1/2 year old wants to see it. Is there anything in it that would be inappropriate for him? He is more interested in action movies than crap like Yogi Bear (thank God).
    if you don't mind all the senseless violence, it should be fine. take him to see megamind if it's still out, i think he'll enjoy that one much more.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they're killing people in it he'll probably have to wait awhile. Thanks though.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 9:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't believe that John Cho and Jay Chou aren't the same person.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I still don't believe that John Cho and Jay Chou aren't the same person.
    I just realized that Kato wasn't John Cho. I thought the whole thing came about because Seth Rogan wanted to smoke a lot of pot and do a movie with the Asian one from Harold and Kumar.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pop Star

Pot Star

One sings the pants off women, the other slings the plants off campus. One did a joint venture with Rogen, the other wants a joint adventure with Rogen. One impresses with his gong fu, the other with his bong fu.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2011 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw it last night; thought they carried the clever joke (Britt Reid/Green Hornet is a doofus and Kato is the real superhero) too far. By the time the Hornet finally manages something half-way cool, it's too little and too late; there's no real character arc, therefore no "hero's journey", therefore ultimately no reason to care much about the character.

Other than that, the action is good, Jay Chou brings a very Bruce Lee-like popstar charisma to his role, and there are some excellent fantasy/SFX sequences.