Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie with a few questions

I have been very interested in martial arts for quite a while, but have never had the motivation to get it started. I am overweight at 6'4" and 290lbs, and live in a small town with very limited styles available. The ones available are Danzan Ryu Jujutsu, Kenpo Karate, Aikido, Shim Shin Do, and Boxing. Which of these would be best to 1. Get into shape, 2. Be a viable real world self defense, and 3. be good for a future police officer? Thanks for any help provided.:help:

Style
    Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Boxing
    2. Boxing
    3. Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance you could elaborate as to why?

Style
    TKD, judo, MT noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing; as it is a very physically demanding sport it will get you in shape, it has a proven track record of making people better fighters, and as a police officer you will have people trying to punch you, just like in boxing.

As an aside, the danzen ryu ju jutsu could be awesome, but more likely is terrible

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to be a pest, but why would it be terrible?

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For getting in to shape, boxing has its obvious benefits.

For self-defense and possible law enforcement? Behold

YouTube- Boxer Takes On Four Attackers
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    TKD, judo, MT noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thistle87 View Post
    Sorry to be a pest, but why would it be terrible?
    if it lacks consistent sparring the students will not know how to defend themselves. this is a major problem for arts that do not regularly compete

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated. Now I just have to hope the boxing gym here is worth something. It' is part of just a health and fitness club so I'm not sure what kind of training they have yet. Kinda leery about it.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 & 2. Better to shop for a school then a style when looking for physical fitness benefits. However, I assume that the vast majority of boxing programs are hard core, due to the fact that they do lots of sparring. For self defense it also makes the most sense to once again shop for a school rather than a style. In spite of the great training I received in boxing, the focus was purely striking above the belt with no use of feet, knees, throws, takedowns and grappling.

3. As for what is the most appropriate style for law enforcement application it is probably better to do searches or post a new thread requesting the opinions of LEOs. Since the LEOs put their life and limb on the line, their opinions on the best styles will be reality based.

Anyway, good luck with your quest and welcome aboard!

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia wrote some time ago that Japanese Ju Jitsu is good for LEO applications, as you aren't going to go to the ground or fight, hopefully, you just want to subdue the fucker and slap on the cuffs. Danzan Ryu Jujutsu (and Kenpo for that matter) have some good schools, amongst the watered down stuff. Vargas, a very respected member of this site, got owned by his Japanese Ju Jitsu Sensei in Florida - the guy was a tournie champ and ate him up on the mats.

So the point being, school and instructor is usually a bit more important than the style, so do yourself a favor and check out the different options - in person on sparring nights. Ask the instructors when they spar or get it on or when the advanced people train hard and go that night. I watched a kiddie class once and told the instructor that I was a bb and wanted to work out hard and talked myself right into a TMA Karate instructor's class, three hours a day, starting at 6 AM. Good **** is out there, good luck.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Page 1 of 2 12 Last