Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 4:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    second guy sounds like a jerk-off gym teacher. First guy sounds like he actually has been in a fight. I would theorize the second guy is a barney-fife cop in Bumblecorn Holler and the first guy is a cop in a city with some actual crime.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 5:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung View Post
    But when most say 'TMA' they don't necessarily mean a philosophy. They mean 'crappy martial art', i.e. art of low martial value. An art that doesn't fight.
    I'll agree if you mean this specific website.

I'm wary of de-railing this thread, though. So I'll write this up at some point.
    If you need the threads I can dig them up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 10:27pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I did read the second article and was shaking my head. As a former cop I have been in a lot of fights with suspects. I always took the suspects down to the ground and I usually finished them with a Carotid Restraint (Choke). Once they were out it was easy to get the cuffs on.

For years I would tell my co-workers to get some ground defense training because MMA was going to get popular and MMA schools were going to pop up everywhere. Sure enough it has happened and nobody listen to me. As a BJJ practitioner with over 15 years I knew the value of ground techniques and how effective they were against an untrained person.

Now that I am a black belt and have my own academy I am seeing more LEO's starting to see the value of BJJ and are now joining my classes. When I was a DT instructor for my agency I was frustrated with the program because the techniques they made us teach was garbage and useless in real fight. Trying to apply wrist locks and come alongs while standing was not practical in real situations.

A lot cops today would rather play golf or softball than take some form of martial arts training or get into a conditioning program to stay fit. We see them all the time the fat asses walking around thinking they are tough yet when they get physical with a suspect they are having a hard time catching their breath once they have the suspect in control with the help of back up. It is a sad reality within LE community.

As far as the author of the second article....he appears to be a MMA or BJJ hater. He, the author, probably trained in Karate or some other martial art that is not practical for LEO's. Like we already know once you go to the ground Karate or Kung Fu is not going to save a person. I also trip out on theses so called reality based systems that state that so called sport training is not good for real self defense….WTF is sport training.

They advocate hitting a person in the throat or gouge out eyes. Well I can't see a cop sticking his fingers in a suspect's eyes because he is not complying with his orders....good luck with that in court with the law suit.

Last edited by Team Python; 1/15/2011 10:34pm at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 9:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Well I did read the second article and was shaking my head. As a former cop I have been in a lot of fights with suspects. I always took the suspects down to the ground and I usually finished them with a Carotid Restraint (Choke). Once they were out it was easy to get the cuffs on.

For years I would tell my co-workers to get some ground defense training because MMA was going to get popular and MMA schools were going to pop up everywhere. Sure enough it has happened and nobody listen to me. As a BJJ practitioner with over 15 years I knew the value of ground techniques and how effective they were against an untrained person.

Now that I am a black belt and have my own academy I am seeing more LEO's starting to see the value of BJJ and are now joining my classes. When I was a DT instructor for my agency I was frustrated with the program because the techniques they made us teach was garbage and useless in real fight. Trying to apply wrist locks and come alongs while standing was not practical in real situations.

A lot cops today would rather play golf or softball than take some form of martial arts training or get into a conditioning program to stay fit. We see them all the time the fat asses walking around thinking they are tough yet when they get physical with a suspect they are having a hard time catching their breath once they have the suspect in control with the help of back up. It is a sad reality within LE community.

As far as the author of the second article....he appears to be a MMA or BJJ hater. He, the author, probably trained in Karate or some other martial art that is not practical for LEO's. Like we already know once you go to the ground Karate or Kung Fu is not going to save a person. I also trip out on theses so called reality based systems that state that so called sport training is not good for real self defense….WTF is sport training.

They advocate hitting a person in the throat or gouge out eyes. Well I can't see a cop sticking his fingers in a suspect's eyes because he is not complying with his orders....good luck with that in court with the law suit.

Please follow up with JKDChick to get your LEO, Instructor and BJJ Black Belt tags.

Is this you? http://www.pythonbjj.com/instructor.html
    Last edited by Plasma; 1/16/2011 9:31am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Military tag, yes?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Please follow up with JKDChick to get your LEO, Instructor and BJJ Black Belt tags.

Is this you? http://www.pythonbjj.com/instructor.html
    Yeah that is me

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 6:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Yeah that is me
    Awesome. Please make sure you PM JKDChick for your tags. Tags is how we on the forum track real experience vs ones of keyboard warriors. It's more for other newer posts to know to listen to you than it is for you to show off (preempting the "I don't care about tags response").

I look forward to reading your posts in the future. I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge for both the Armory and Advanced Grappling Forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Awesome. Please make sure you PM JKDChick for your tags. Tags is how we on the forum track real experience vs ones of keyboard warriors. It's more for other newer posts to know to listen to you than it is for you to show off (preempting the "I don't care about tags response").

I look forward to reading your posts in the future. I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge for both the Armory and Advanced Grappling Forum.
    Thanks ....yeah I already e-mailed my info to her so I am just waiting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 2:15am

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For my Security course, for use of force, we called in a local police DT Instructor, who taught good striking fundamentals, but his cuffing/R&C was lacking. He told me after that he was teaching what was "approved for the timeframe", and would have gladly shown some serious wrestling given more time. Also mentioned that the stuff he usually teaches is the same way- mostly basic kickboxing and ground "survival", because of pressure to keep it brief, and that the "approved" wrestling techniques are generally ****. This is the vibe I get from most DT. Does it hold true elsewhere?

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Security courses in Aus are pretty much like that. Exept they do not even get decent TMA instructors to teach the low percentage stand up locks and holds.
    And then it is 5 hours of solid bookwork.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast