Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 7:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually like "TMA." Because it is not always a matter of practicing a "martial art of low value." In fact, it always gets to me a bit when people on this site say, "Just do Judo. You'll forget all about [insert crappy, ineffective martial art]!" Dudes, I can't tell you how many people I've met who do Judo (or some other equally effective and "alive" art), some of whom are good black belt level practicioners, that still believe a lot of BS about martial arts.

TMAs aren't just ineffective martial arts. As pointed out many TMAs are quite effective. It is about a different philosophy and outlook toward martial arts. And that's why you will get Judo and Kyokushin guys (both extremely effective TMAs) that still poo-poo mma and think there is a huge difference between training for "sport" and training for the street.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I actually like "TMA." Because it is not always a matter of practicing a "martial art of low value." In fact, it always gets to me a bit when people on this site say, "Just do Judo. You'll forget all about [insert crappy, ineffective martial art]!" Dudes, I can't tell you how many people I've met who do Judo (or some other equally effective and "alive" art), some of whom are good black belt level practicioners, that still believe a lot of BS about martial arts.

TMAs aren't just ineffective martial arts. As pointed out many TMAs are quite effective. It is about a different philosophy and outlook toward martial arts. And that's why you will get Judo and Kyokushin guys (both extremely effective TMAs) that still poo-poo mma and think there is a huge difference between training for "sport" and training for the street.
    This is a good point. But when most say 'TMA' they don't necessarily mean a philosophy. They mean 'crappy martial art', i.e. art of low martial value. An art that doesn't fight.

I'm offering terminology and ideas to talk about this more precisely, i.e. without bundling various arts together higgledy-piggledy. That is, concepts to speak of all martial arts with reference to the values they exemplify - e.g. martial, historical, economic.

An art might be ancient and lucrative, but a no-go fighting-wise. So it has high historical and economic value, but low martial value.

I'm wary of de-railing this thread, though. So I'll write this up at some point.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone who is LEO: Does their academy teach anything similar to the modern army combatives, where there is MMA style sparring? Also in either the MAC course or the Police defensive tactics does it address going from hand to hand fighting to you using a weapon, ie ASP, OC spray or gun?
    ?????

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 8:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, no. Last place I was at before my current place had started offering "ground survival" which included basic explanations of guard and mount and a couple basic escapes. Otherwise it was all goosenecks (wrist locks) and "straight armbar takedowns."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 11:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    IMA is already a common abbreviation for "internal martial arts".

Using that in your posts, I expect you'll wind up with quite a few angry replies from confused tai chi/bagua/hsing-i players.
    How about BUMA?

(Bloody Useless Martial Art)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 1:47am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone who is LEO: Does their academy teach anything similar to the modern army combatives, where there is MMA style sparring? Also in either the MAC course or the Police defensive tactics does it address going from hand to hand fighting to you using a weapon, ie ASP, OC spray or gun?
    Similar? Yes. Equal, no? We did basic strikes, basic takedowns, some sweeps from the ground, some escapes, and some submissions. But, not nearly enough.

Then when I got on the teams, we did the gracie combatives program for LEO.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 2:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    on the teams
    What does this mean?

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 4:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They only have one LEO tag here that is used for anything from Corrections to FBI, so I don't know exactly what Diesel does. But, he probably means a specialty team, like SWAT or a prison's SERT. Would involve special and more advanced training.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the Rapid Response Team. It is the team that responds when there is a "disturbance" that needs to be quelled. We had regular training on advanced defensive tactics and specialized weaponry.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 2:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, OK. Thanks, lads.

Now that I know what 'teams' means, I'll try to work it casually into philosophical conversations.

"A PhD? Well, it's a little like joining the teams. Let me explain..."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast