My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LEOs and MMA

I looked to see if this was posted and found nothing. I came across the is article about the threat of MMA to LEOs and methods to deal with it. I think its was pretty good and a honest assessment of a typical LEOs ability to deal with a combat athlete.

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/tr...d-martial-arts
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 7:53pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Outstanding article! And that does pretty much some it up. Thanks for the find ...I'm definately sharing this with co-workers.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gezere and LEOs, how does this article stack up, in your considered opinion?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 8:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung View Post
    Gezere and LEOs, how does this article stack up, in your considered opinion?
    A whole lot of denial. He uses the standard SPORT vs REAL tactics. I have respect for LEOs but to be honest the vast majority of them are not on the same athletic level as a MMA hobbyist. There is little substance and I think he is being dishonest with himself. Where as the author of the first article realizes that there is a threat from a first hand experience this one doesn't give me that impression.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 8:51pm

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys

While not a LEO myself I do work in security and both articles were very interesting reads...

Speaking from my own (incredibly limited experience) coming up to an MMA fight in physical situations on the door I would occasionally instinctively go into 'fight mode' rather than 'control and restraint' or indeed 'GTFO and call for help' mode.

One noticable example I recall was a few years ago it was about two weeks before a fight and a guy on the door after much shittalk eventually threw a jab and immediately closed the distance. I got him into clinch and went swimming for double underhooks (something I was working on a lot at the time) but without any real head control. He truned his head and did his level best to chew my ear off.

But I'm straying a touch off topic.

Good reads!

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed the read.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First article was pretty good. He lost me a little bit when he started talking about identifying fighters through their clothing. There's so many posers out there and a lot of untrained fatasses cover themselves in tapout from head to toe. But that's kinda nitpicky, and he still had a good point.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second article was not as good, but not horrible. He comes across like a typical TMAer, and makes the completely false sport-street dichotomy. However, he does have a couple good points.

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 9:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    First article was pretty good. He lost me a little bit when he started talking about identifying fighters through their clothing. There's so many posers out there and a lot of untrained fatasses cover themselves in tapout from head to toe. But that's kinda nitpicky, and he still had a good point.
    I initially thought that too, especially with TAPOUT and AFFLICTION be sold everywhere. However I realized he does have a point. I tend to wear my gym, Gracie barra, or NAGA shirts from time to time. If I saw someone wearing something other than TAPOUT I would probably note them as a potential fighter.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    A whole lot of denial. He uses the standard SPORT vs REAL tactics. I have respect for LEOs but to be honest the vast majority of them are not on the same athletic level as a MMA hobbyist. There is little substance and I think he is being dishonest with himself. Where as the author of the first article realizes that there is a threat from a first hand experience this one doesn't give me that impression.
    I've often wondered about this, philosophically: Are chaps like this at all persuadable, or is it something only experience can teach?

For example, all my ideas of stand-up fighting went out the window as soon as I did Judo. You didn't need to argue with me. You just had to: outer reap, side control, mount, strangle.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast