Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 9:16am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is not the first time that I've had the advice to do front squats instead. I think I'll try them as soon as I can get some good instruction on how to do them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 2:48am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious as to why you might recommend front squats, of all the squats they put the knees the furthest compared to a oyl style high bar.

Maybe consider a wider power lifting style low bar instead?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 3:11am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind I read the article, seems like they are saying that there is just as much muscle activation, but with less weight. Less weight making for less compression. Only thing is you won't be working out your hamstrings very well, so maybe do some RDLs?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbowtko, in terms of not working out your hamstrings as much I do agree with you there but I primarily do squats for quad development and front squats use equal amounts of muscle as back squats but use the quads more than back squats.

So my answer to you is hamstrings are important but if I am doing straight leg deadlifts for my hamstrings then it makes sense using front squats apart from the myriad of other reasons.

Ps. I do normal deadlifts on pull day and straight leg deadlifts after front squats on legs and stomach day.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeh and as for the myriad of reasons I talked about before. I will mention them below and paste the article to prove the claim.

1. Less Compression force so healthier on joints.
    2. Equal strength development for a lighter weights
    3. Less Knee stress not more. The damage to knees is done from compression force (back squats) not sheer force (front squats).
    if you have knee problems, such as ligament damage or meniscus tears, or if you have problems with osteoarthritis, then you may want to stick with the front squat since compressive forces can damage knee cartilage. That is from the article.
    4. Greater use of core muscles for stabilisation such as stomach and lower back.
    5. Greater emphasis on quads than back squat which is good cuz hamstrings can be dealth with with straight leg deadlifts.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/re...or-back-squats
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12