Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2011 5:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand cramping under bench press

Recently, part of my hand has begun hurting while doing the bench press. It's the left half of my left hand and nowhere else. I can't tell if it's muscles cramping or the weight is too much for the tendons, but it prevents me from continuing my set.

Anyone have similar problems and a possible solution? Much obliged if you do.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/08/2011 6:28pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, try shifting where on your hand the weight sits. There are a lot of nerves and finer muscles that weave through the hand, especially on the palm side. It's possible the weight is simply impinging something in your hand, and a small shift could fix it. If not, describe it in greater detail.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2011 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your thumb rapped around the bar or on the same side as your fingers? Watch this and see if is helps:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-...lder-injuries/

If not, then you will probably want to lay off the bench for a while and try dumbbells or weighted pushups. I no longer lift weights due to injuries, but I do body weight exercises for everything. I consider myself better fit now than I was when lifting weights, but that is a whole different topic.

Waiting for Emevas to show up and give better insight!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/09/2011 4:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you wear any rings on that hand? I noticed I was holding my left hand a little off while benching and then I realized it was because I was trying not to squeeze my wedding ring against the bar. I took it off and then it was fine.

Posted On:
    1/09/2011 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another relevant question: How frequently are you Bench Pressing? What type of volume and intensity are you applying? What other exercises do you do on the day you Bench? Is Bench the first exercise in that day, or does it follow others?

Often the answers to these kinds of problems lie in small, simple tweaks. Either to technique or to routine. But it's necessary to know the details to make that determination.

Also, if you could somehow provide photos or vids of you executing the exercise, I'd be happy to analyze that for you. (If you didn't wanna post that publicly, you could PM or email me)

- The Wastrel

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/09/2011 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Waiting for Emevas to show up and give better insight!!
    Cramping isn't really my speciality. I focus on program design mostly.

Honestly, I imagine it's a form issue, and something that can't really be described via text, but if you saw it in person you could spot from a mile away.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the best thing I have used for correcting form is mirrors and video. I think I'm doing something right, then see a video and realized I was way off. I use that for working out as well as martial arts.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @neo: nope, no jewelry on or around my hands.

@taebo: I'm doing stronglift's 5x5 so I'm doing it pretty much every other day at the max I can do. The last workout I did 150 pounds so it's nothing inhumanly strenuous. I only do squats before bench.

@everybody: I'm definitely going to triple check how I'm grabbing the bar for my next workout, but today is a non-bench day and tuesday and wednesday are my 2-day break so unfortunately it'll be a while before I can give results. I'll try to video myself if I can't find something wrong myself, but since I'm mostly worried about hand form and not as much overall body form I'm not sure how well i'll be able to video that tight an area with detail.

Posted On:
    1/11/2011 1:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckerBlue View Post
    @neo: nope, no jewelry on or around my hands.

@taebo: I'm doing stronglift's 5x5 so I'm doing it pretty much every other day at the max I can do. The last workout I did 150 pounds so it's nothing inhumanly strenuous. I only do squats before bench.

@everybody: I'm definitely going to triple check how I'm grabbing the bar for my next workout, but today is a non-bench day and tuesday and wednesday are my 2-day break so unfortunately it'll be a while before I can give results. I'll try to video myself if I can't find something wrong myself, but since I'm mostly worried about hand form and not as much overall body form I'm not sure how well i'll be able to video that tight an area with detail.
    IMO, number one form thing to check is your wrists. Too much bend in your wrist in any direction is the most likely thing that comes to mind.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2011 11:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of warm up are you doing, before you start lifting? I've added some very light mobility stuff before my workout, and I have noticed a lot of these little niggling pains disappear. I am also not afraid to wear gloves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast