"Santa is dead kid, welcome to the suck"

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

specificly for chest

I am having a hard time building my pecs. Its like no matter what I do. they just dont grow or gain mass. I am 23 years old and at 160lbs at 6'0''. I have just started lifting routeenly for the past couple months and have noticed gains in my arms and stomach. But I have this really bad case of bird chest and i dont know why I cant gain in that area. I try to eat 6 small meals a day and try to drink a gainer shake twice a week. Maybe im not working my pecs at the right time that im eating enough protien/calories? Maybe pushups and light bench work is not enough? Any thoughts?
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

As the internet turns - omega

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you taking in 320g. of protein a day? Are you eating enough?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alot of thin people aren't eating enough, if your're doing both MMA and strenght training you need alot of energy.

"light bench"? does that mean that u don't push yourself to your limit? The best way to build som mass i heavy training. Good exercises would be dumbell benchpresses and flyes.

Bird chest, is that when you have a kind of sunk in chest? Because pullovers is an exercise known to make that better. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...inMuscle=Chest (Bent-Arm Dumbbell Pullover)

Heavy training is going to give you better results that light, like pushups.

"Santa is dead kid, welcome to the suck"

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mantis- I dont know what is the exact amount that I should take in, but i try to eat at least 200g a day, and supplement myself with a gainer shake high in protien and calories at least twice a week. And I train 6 days a week, so im prolly burning way to much calories to eat normally.

Murken- same as above, I dont really know what is "enogh" also, by light bench work, yes I mean not maxing and not working to failure, and also using light wieghts. The pullover is a nice excercise, thanks for the link, im gonna check that out
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

As the internet turns - omega

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 7:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you're not really serious with your training then don't count the calories (acually, never count calories for more than a week maybe). You probably already get enough protein, the extra protein people want to take is for an anabolic effect and not for building material. Are you skinny? If thats the case then its carbohydrates you need.

You should eat until you're not hungry and then some. The problem with being fat is often that you eat just a little bit too much every meal en the problem with being skinny i the opposite. If you eat sturdy meals and supplement with gainer a couple of times a week that should be enough.

It's probably better to eat too much than too little, if you're gaining fat then eat a little less.

A good gainer for you should contain 20% protein and 80% carbohydrates.

You probably know what kind of food is good for you. Don't drink too much coke, eat alot of breakfast (with oatmeal), dont eat mayo, eat some fruit

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a ton of stuff out on the web about chest exercises. I did a search on google and here is one of the results.

http://www.intense-workout.com/workout_routines.html

Sounds like you gotta do more bench work with more weight.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 7:30pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was ultra skinny for a long time after I was sick (5'10 135lbs). When I wanted to put mass back on, I just ate everything in sight, didn't count calories or anything else, and just lifted all the time. I had a weight set in my apartment, anytime I sat in front of the TV, I lifted.
    In six months I was upto 165, which is where I wanted to be. Ended up with a 28" waist, a 50" chest, and about 5% body fat.
    Of course, with my ex's second pregancy, I put on another 30 lbs in ten months. Chest is still there, but I can't claim the waist or body fat % anymore.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/07/2004 7:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Deluxe247
    Mantis- I dont know what is the exact amount that I should take in, but i try to eat at least 200g a day, ...
    When trying to bulk up, 2 g. of protein for each pound of body weight.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    3/08/2004 9:16am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try changing your chest routine and/or adding/replacing some exercises. If all you do is bench, for example, your body will get used to it and not grow as much as if you mix it up.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2004 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    find a butterfly machine and the arm pieces so that they give you the maximum range of motion, in other words the starting point for the lift will be behind your shoulders, and start pressing.

that's the machine that helped me, and dumbell presses. even if you can only do 25's, these are awesome for chest
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast