All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 2:46am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

it's junkfood. It's bad for you, like most deserts. that's no reason to go repeating a bunch of bullshit glurge
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 2:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Eli of the Book View Post
    sidenote: The acids in carbonated drinks softens the enamel on your teeth. So you should not brush for 30 minutes after drinking a CO2 drink, as the enamel needs to harden back up. Same with citrus/lemon acid. I think milk also counteracts this softening effect.
    citation please on how citric acid, co2, have the same effect on tooth enamel and how topical milk counteracts it
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 3:03am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    citation please on how citric acid, co2, have the same effect on tooth enamel and how topical milk counteracts it
    As much as I hate to do this...

http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v1...f/4811041a.pdf

This study states that eating apples and citrus fruit are insignificant in tooth erosion, however fruit juice is nearly as bad as the soda. Got nothing on the milk, though.

There is also evidence that the acids in sports drinks like gatorade are every bit as bad as the coke.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That says that kids UNDER 12 that drink 3 or more sodas a day are strongly likely to have more toothwear. I'm sure that's because any kid doing that has an entire diet of pure ****. It also doesn't explain how the co2 has the same effect

There are many studies that show if you put a tooth or a slice of enamel in coke or ____ where ____ is something we all drink for, say, 48 hours it will lose mass...that's so much different from teeth in situ its not even funny

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 4:05am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    That says that kids UNDER 12 that drink 3 or more sodas a day are strongly likely to have more toothwear. I'm sure that's because any kid doing that has an entire diet of pure ****. It also doesn't explain how the co2 has the same effect

There are many studies that show if you put a tooth or a slice of enamel in coke or ____ where ____ is something we all drink for, say, 48 hours it will lose mass...that's so much different from teeth in situ its not even funny
    First, there's more than just 12 year olds. I believe it was 12 and 14, but that's irrelevant.

Second, tooth wear != erosion much like a rectangle != a square. Erosion is a type of tooth wear but not all tooth wear is erosion. While dietary issues may weaken the enamel that wouldn't necessarily account for the high incidence of erosion of those who had a lot of fruit juice. These two drinks have two things in common, sugar and low pH. The same effect can be seen with diet soda and sugar free sports drinks, so that at likely eliminates the sugar as the primary cause, leaving the acidity.

You're right, dropping a tooth in a bottle of soda is different from teeth still in your head. Saliva naturally regulates the pH of your mouth, so the same effect that you're describing happens to a much lower degree in your mouth. Saliva pH ranges from slightly acidic to slightly basic, so the saliva might not have a neutralizing effect at all, but can certainly dilute, protecting your teeth from the acids to a large degree.

Here's some common pHs of various soft drinks and juices:
    http://www.21stcenturydental.com/smith/pH_drinks.htm

Edit: I should add that I'm operating under the assumption that by "CO2 drinks" DTT is talking about carbonated soft drinks rather than spelling it out. If plain carbon dioxide caused tooth damage we'd be in some real trouble.
    Last edited by wetware; 1/07/2011 4:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 7:23am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gave up coke recently. I don't drink tea or coffee and I realised the only reason I liked it was for the caffeine. And that ****'s got a ton of sugar in, tastes soo good though!

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 9:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coke is bad for you? Was this study done by Dr. Obie Vious?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side side side note - phosphoric acid has, at least until recent times, it's primary source as bat ****. If that's not reason enough to not drink colas...

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it was a Google article I clicked,

but a few minutes on google brings:

http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/134/9/1176-b

"Teeth can only reminerlize from minerals in the saliva to replace sub surface minerals sucked out by acids. Once the teeth break however, you can't build teeth up with minerals no matter how much green juice and grass you consume."

from deep in here:
    http://rawandliving.tribe.net/thread...d-d2bfe38ceafc

combined with tis angle of nutritional philosophy:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/preven...g-tooth-decay/

milk provides the saliva with everything it needs to work with the dentin and other tooth cells to repair the surface. Or you can wait for the milk to be digested and processed by the blood stream.

My dentist stressed the power of diet and how to keep the mouth and the body from becoming acidic. Milk obviously will become sugar eventually and contribute to tooth decay.

The question is that you don't believe the consumption of milk will convert the acid damage back to neutral (quicker then 30 minutes)?

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Coke is bad for you? Was this study done by Dr. Obie Vious?
    I read an excellent rebuttal article by Dr. Pepper.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast